Health insurance now mandatory for long-stay foreigners

Visa questions, companies, work permits, employment, insurance, banking and finance, and legal issues.
caller
Hero
Hero

Re: Health insurance now mandatory for long-stay foreigners

Post by caller »

PET wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 7:48 pm Having an O visa for retirement means that the govt have some of your cash ( Bht800,000) so they do not think you will go away without paying medical etc etc
That's the same for many, if not most on an OA visa, since the changes, including myself (although I use monthly income).
Talk is cheap
GroveHillWanderer
Guru
Guru

Post by GroveHillWanderer »

brianks wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 7:31 pm Unfortunately I have an O-A visa that was assigned to me in US when I applied for visa 13 years ago. I had no idea there was any difference in retirement visas. So far everyone has told me that the O-A visa is what the problem is. Were I to have O then no problem. Still working on it.
You mention a wife. Is your wife Thai? If so you should be able to switch your extension to one based on marriage instead of retirement and that would remove the requirement for health insurance (at least as far as Immigration is concerned).
brianks
Guru
Guru

Post by brianks »

Yes, wife is Thai but down here in Nakhon Si Thammarat Immigration is not so accommodating as you may have in Hua Hin. They make it as difficult as possible for you to obtain anything other than the most basic visas. Motivation is for backhander's which they are famous for.

Marriage visa here requires you to apply over 4 weeks from visa expiration so they can send it to Hat Yai (for whatever reason I don't know). Didn't find this out until under 4 weeks to go so have to go for retirement visa extension.

I have more to say here but would prefer to wait until we get situation resolved. You can read between the lines above.
buksida

Post by buksida »

brianks wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 9:56 am Yes, wife is Thai but down here in Nakhon Si Thammarat Immigration is not so accommodating as you may have in Hua Hin. They make it as difficult as possible for you to obtain anything other than the most basic visas. Motivation is for backhander's which they are famous for.
There is absolutely no difference with Hua Hin immigration when it comes to marriage extensions, they're a world of pain and also require 'extras' to avoid extra requirements being added to the already long list of bullshit you have to provide. Retirements ... no hassle.

Anyhoo, drifting off-topic so back to insurance requirements. I believe a company called LMG will do a cheap expat insurance policy just to satisfy immigration, you're not actually covered for much though. Worth checking out.
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

buksida wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 10:01 am
brianks wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 9:56 am Yes, wife is Thai but down here in Nakhon Si Thammarat Immigration is not so accommodating as you may have in Hua Hin. They make it as difficult as possible for you to obtain anything other than the most basic visas. Motivation is for backhander's which they are famous for.
There is absolutely no difference with Hua Hin immigration when it comes to marriage extensions, they're a world of pain. Retirements ... no hassle.

Anyhoo, drifting off-topic so back to insurance requirements. I belive a company called LMG will do a cheap expat insurance policy just to satisfy immigration, you're not actually covered for much though. Worth checking out.
I took out a policy with LMG via AA insurance in Hua Hin. I went for the basic cover that complies with Immigration requirements and not expecting to use it in earnest - it cost me 7700 baht for a years cover age 68 - it obviously goes up in price as you get older.
migrant
Addict
Addict

Post by migrant »

Dannie Boy wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 10:28 am
There is absolutely no difference with Hua Hin immigration when it comes to marriage extensions, they're a world of pain. Retirements ... no hassle.

Anyhoo, drifting off-topic so back to insurance requirements. I belive a company called LMG will do a cheap expat insurance policy just to satisfy immigration, you're not actually covered for much though. Worth checking out.
I took out a policy with LMG via AA insurance in Hua Hin. I went for the basic cover that complies with Immigration requirements and not expecting to use it in earnest - it cost me 7700 baht for a years cover age 68 - it obviously goes up in price as you get older.
That is the same policy that my friend got from AA
The proper function of man is to live, not to exist. I shall not waste my days in trying to prolong them. I shall use my time.
PET
Legend
Legend

Post by PET »

migrant wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 5:30 pm
Dannie Boy wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 10:28 am

That is the same policy that my friend got from AA
Just for good orders sake - these policies are for those who DO NOT have an 'O' Visa for retirement extension purposes and those who have a Marriage Visa because Long -Stay is a ittle ambiguos?
Courage is grace under pressure and when circumstances change you change your mind.
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

In truth, they’re probably available to anybody, however they have been specifically put together to comply with the minimum requirements set by Immigration for those expats living in Thailand who originally entered on an O-A visa.
PET
Legend
Legend

Post by PET »

Dannie Boy wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 6:01 pm In truth, they’re probably available to anybody, however they have been specifically put together to comply with the minimum requirements set by Immigration for those expats living in Thailand who originally entered on an O-A visa.
The point I was trying to make was that those with O Visas( for retirement extension) or Marriage Visas - both are which are Long-Stay do NOT reqire Health Insurance for Immigration purposes, because immigration have never required this from me and I renewed this year.
Courage is grace under pressure and when circumstances change you change your mind.
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

PET wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 6:17 pm
Dannie Boy wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 6:01 pm In truth, they’re probably available to anybody, however they have been specifically put together to comply with the minimum requirements set by Immigration for those expats living in Thailand who originally entered on an O-A visa.
The point I was trying to make was that those with O Visas( for retirement extension) or Marriage Visas - both are which are Long-Stay do NOT reqire Health Insurance for Immigration purposes, because immigration have never required this from me and I renewed this year.
I think you're pretty much agreeing with other. But in view of the fact all the new visas being talked about do require some sort of insurance before anyone enters the Country, that it will only be a matter of time before all long stay visas are added to the list. I would be surprised if the insurance companies aren't already lobbying for this.
Talk is cheap
brianks
Guru
Guru

Post by brianks »

As confirmed by AA, only one company that is approved by the government will issue medical ins. if your older than 75.
No way around that one. Annual Premium for me at 79 is 108,000 baht PLUS having to have a Physical Exam from an approved hospital on their list. All of that that cost for a policy that has a maximum benefit of 400,000 baht.

Hopefully I will have my situation resolved later today. Hopefully more later.
brianks
Guru
Guru

Post by brianks »

Ah yes a few well placed brown bills and the stamp gets into my passport. Was told that would have same problem next year too so have to get visa type changed along with acquiring the Marriage Visa.
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

Well you’re clear for another year, although unless a vaccine becomes widely available by then, there’s a reasonable likelihood that all visa categories will require COVID-19 health insurance.