Euro 2020

Discussion on sports not relating to Hua Hin; football, rugby, motorsports, fantasy leagues and armchair sports fans meet here.
Lost
Addict
Addict

Euro 2020

Post by Lost »

Good result from a crap England side. Opponents were woefully poor on the night. Great to see Sterling doing what he does for City week in week out. Real boost for England that. Kane did what Kane does - great hold up play threading some lovely through balls onto runners. Sancho, Rice and Hudson-odoi all did ok, maybe a little nervy with some stray passes and often Sancho was easily dispossessed, but overall a solid performance.

I wouldn't play Dier to be honest (this coming from a Spurs fan). We have some better options in that position imo.

Any other team would have stuck a few past us yesterday so can't get too excited but it's great to see a very young England squad sticking 5 in the net.

I didn't know about the new format for the Euros. Played in a bunch of different countries with the semis and finals being played at Wembley. Interesting.

:cheers:
I don't trust children. They're here to replace us.
Lost
Addict
Addict

Re: Euro 2020

Post by Lost »

Squad announced for nxt game. Dele and Lingaard both dropped, quite rightly. Still no Arsenal players in the lineup (I don't think).

I don't understand why Rashford is there. He's scored about 3 goals this century. Scoring goals is his only job. Vardy is better than him.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Tammy Abraham (Chelsea), Trent Alexander-Arnold (Liverpool), Ross Barkley (Chelsea), Ben Chilwell (Leicester City), Fabian Delph (Everton), Joe Gomez (Liverpool), Tom Heaton (Aston Villa), Jordan Henderson (Liverpool), Harry Kane (Tottenham Hotspur), Michael Keane (Everton), James Maddison (Leicester City), Harry Maguire (Manchester United), Tyrone Mings (Aston Villa), Mason Mount (Chelsea), Jordan Pickford (Everton), Nick Pope (Burnley), Marcus Rashford (Manchester United), Declan Rice (West Ham United), Danny Rose (Tottenham Hotspur), Jadon Sancho (Borussia Dortmund), Raheem Sterling (Manchester City), Fikayo Tomori (Chelsea), Kieran Trippier (Atletico Madrid), Callum Wilson (AFC Bournemouth), Harry Winks (Tottenham Hotspur)
Championship Plymouth Argyle 1 - 0 Hull City :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:

Points 51; Position 21
Consolidated - Championship Next Season :dance: :dance:
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

What a shambles. I got up at silly o'clock for what? Probably the worst all round England performance I can remember for many years. 2 bits of encouragement - Pickford is a very good keeper, and Capt. Harry got stuck in. I saw him do more yesterday than I've seen in the last half dozen times I've seen him play. Question is, did he improve, or were the rest of the shower so bad, they made him look better than he is?

Points 51; Position 21
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

If Harry was one of the best, then yes it makes the others look terrible because the whole team was virtually void of any ideas and as you say BB, one of the worst performances in many years - hopefully it’s a wake up call before it’s too late?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
arcadianagain
Ace
Ace

Post by arcadianagain »

Where are the attacking midfielders who can drive the team forward, where are the attacking full-backs who can cross a ball, where are the defenders who can spot an opposing centre forward standing all alone kn the penalty area, where are the substitutes who can come on and change a game. None of the above to be found last night.
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

I only watched last nights highlights, which was bad enough - (I’m sure the whole game would have been even worse). I then read this following article on BBC Sport, regarding England’s three current strikers - are they having a laugh?
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/49979797
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Bulgaria 0 - 6 England

A much better performance against poor opposition. Silly o'clock was worth it this time.

An easy game for the visitors, but almost abandoned because of the unnecessary racist Ultra chanting. The game was stopped twice because of racist chanting, and a 3rd time would have seen it abandoned. How would that have made 4,500 travelling England fans have felt, let alone the 'normal' Bulgarians? I hope severe sanctions are handed out to the Bulgarians, and maybe they'll start doing more about the Ultra disease than holding arms out and shrugging shoulders.

Points 51; Position 21
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Incidentally, no comment about any player's performance. It was the might of England against little more than a Sunday League pub team. Of course the England players played well.

Points 51; Position 21
arcadianagain
Ace
Ace

Post by arcadianagain »

If the Bulgatian FA were serious about this problem they could easily identify the culprits simply by looking at recordings of the match. I suppose UEFA could sanction that Bulgaria should play their home matches at an independent location or kick them out altogether
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

OK, I'm not the biggest round ball/Wendyballer supporter around as you know. HOWEVER, have to admit to following
Liverpool for some time (hatred of my brother (when kids) who supported Leeds years ago) and Wales certainly following the last Euro's - 2016.

So, sat with my nephew tonight - also a proud Welshman (but confused as to what shape the ball should be), we watched the draw.....

He's happy, but couldn't answer my question. Why are England playing all games at home, whilst Wales are playing all games away?!

Seems a bit of a pi$$ take to me.......
"Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things" - Yma o Hyd.
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Post by dtaai-maai »

pharvey wrote: Sun Dec 01, 2019 1:59 am Why are England playing all games at home, whilst Wales are playing all games away?!
The first and most obvious reason is that there are 12 host cities, one of which is London and none of which is in Wales.
Most of England's games will be played at Wembley because they won their group.
This is the way
Bamboo Grove

Post by Bamboo Grove »

I don't mind the games being played all over the Europe but what I find ridiculous is that because of Russia's problems with so many other countries, the draw was a joke. How can you actually call it a draw. Well, never mind, Finland are in the games for the first time ever. Most likely we'll end up with three losses. The wooden spoon - it's coming home.
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

dtaai-maai wrote: Sun Dec 01, 2019 3:14 am
pharvey wrote: Sun Dec 01, 2019 1:59 am Why are England playing all games at home, whilst Wales are playing all games away?!
The first and most obvious reason is that there are 12 host cities, one of which is London and none of which is in Wales.
Most of England's games will be played at Wembley because they won their group.
Thanks DM. Showing my complete lack of knowledge, wasn't aware of the "12 Host cities"...... So kind of explains things!

:thumb: :cheers: :cheers:
"Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things" - Yma o Hyd.
Lost
Addict
Addict

Post by Lost »

Know it's a friendly but as it's preparation for euros thought I'd stick it here.

Just watching the game and noticed something as a player went to take a throw in. Family sitting in the stands alone, socially distanced from everyone. Father, mother and son, I'm guessing. Must have been looking forward to it for a while. Cracking family day out taking the young lad to see the footy. What's the young lad doing...?

Playing on his phone. 🤣

Feck's sake.