Dishwasher appliance

Discussion on family life, childcare, home making, shopping, lifestyle, pet care, gardening and general household issues.
oakdale160
Rock Star
Rock Star

Dishwasher appliance

Post by oakdale160 »

This is such a trivial question that its embarrassing to ask but I have wondered about it about it for years. I have had a dishwasher for many years, in many places and load it continuously. But, when loading it, I wash almost everything under the tap before I put them in the washer, so almost everything does not need the dishwasher action. Do other people do this?
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Re: dishwasher

Post by handdrummer »

Only if there's food stuck to the plates or pots and pans that may not come off in the dishwasher. However I gave up using a dishwasher yrs. ago as it's a waste of water and electricity. I replaced it with shelving that's much more useful.
PeteC

Re: Dishwasher appliance

Post by PeteC »

Machine or no machine you need to think about where the residue rinsed off is going. If into a real sewer system or condo holding tank of some kind, or into the trench at the side of your house running down to the street?

If the latter I would want the least amount of material in that trench as possible that is attractive to vermin and cockroaches.

We even go so far as to have a removable screen mesh insert that goes into the mouth of the drain in our kitchen sink. It catches all solids that are rinsed off things which are then discarded with the garbage.

I'm with Handdrummer concerning overall opinion, especially if a small family.
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

We don’t have a dishwasher and have never wanted one, but if we did, I am sure that we would rinse the plates first before putting them in the appliance - in the heat out here, the waste food would not only smell, it would act as a magnet for ants and other nasties.
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

A dishwasher should be considered as being a "steriliser" rather than just a cleaning device. Not all Thai houses have hot water at the kitchen sink either. Commercial machines usually have a pre-rinse sink in use before going into the actual dishwasher. In addition, pre-rinsing allows you to wait until the machine is full before running it.

The unit in my house that I have rented out used to regularly block up the drain when short term renters were in it, but with the same client in it for the last five years whom takes better care, it has not happened once because she pre-rinses the load.
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!
oakdale160
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by oakdale160 »

I only run mine about once a week when it is full. As you say it sterilises, in fact hospitals use them a great deal to clean equipment. Glassware looks particularly good after going through the cycle.
sateeb
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by sateeb »

**BUMP**

Anyone know where I can buy dishwasher salt locally or will it have to be Lazada?
“Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.”

― George Carlin
“The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.” -George Orwell.
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

HomePro used to stock it.
huahin4ever
Ace
Ace

Post by huahin4ever »

sateeb wrote:**BUMP**

Anyone know where I can buy dishwasher salt locally or will it have to be Lazada?
Villa Market normally has it. And I believe also Gourmet Market. And maybe even Tops?

YNWA

YNWA
sateeb
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by sateeb »

huahin4ever wrote: Thu Nov 11, 2021 10:46 am

Villa Market normally has it. And I believe also Gourmet Market. And maybe even Tops?

YNWA
Tops and Villa Market don't show that product on their online website, I'll take a look in Gourmet market. :cheers:
“Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.”

― George Carlin
“The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.” -George Orwell.
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

What about the salt used in swimming pools - if that can be used it’s widely available and very cheap?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
sateeb
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by sateeb »

Cheers all, got some at Home Pro.

― George Carlin
huahin4ever
Ace
Ace

Post by huahin4ever »

sateeb wrote:
huahin4ever wrote: Thu Nov 11, 2021 10:46 am

YNWA
Tops and Villa Market don't show that product on their online website, I'll take a look in Gourmet market. :cheers:
I don't know about online, but I have always bought mine at either Villa Market in town or the one by Index. Like most of these daily grocery shops, they do not put everything online. I'm now in Bangkok and Tops is in the same building I'm staying. What they have online is only a fraction of what is in the store!

YNWA

YNWA