Thai Driving License renewal

Driving and riding in Hua Hin and Thailand, all topics on cars, pickups, bikes, boats, licenses, roads, and motoring in general.
Big Boy

Re: Thai Driving License renewal 2019-22

Post by Big Boy »

Can we stick to driving licence renewal please guys.
Championship Stoke City 3 - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 48; Position 20
GroveHillWanderer
Guru
Guru

Post by GroveHillWanderer »

caller wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 8:11 pm Yes Lomu, it does, or it should do, but the app is not available via play store as it thinks I am still in the UK - doh! I am quite happy to change my Country, but Google want me to add a payment method first. I have never bought a thing from them and have no intention of doing so! So I will ask my other half to do it, but only after feeback from Terry tomorrow.
As far as my experience of it goes, you don't need to change your country, just set up a new profile with Thailand as the default location. It only takes a couple of minutes to do so, and the advantage is, you can download apps that are geo-restricted to either location, by switching between them. I do this all the time.

You also don't need to add a payment method if you don't want to. It asks you, but you can skip that step (unless something has changed recently). I didn't set up payment methods in Google Play Store for any of my Google accounts and they all work just fine.
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

GroveHillWanderer wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2023 8:21 pmAs far as my experience of it goes, you don't need to change your country, just set up a new profile with Thailand as the default location.
Thats helpful info to get around the issue of downloading the app. But despite following all the guidance about adding a new user to android, it's just not making it possible for me to do so.
Talk is cheap
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

caller wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 1:46 pm
Big Boy wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 1:31 pm Do it the day after your birthday, and get an extra 12 months.
Really! Sadly, I will be in Khon Kaen then.
If you don't want to delay your renewal, why not renew in Khon Kaen. I believe you can renew at any DLT office and I guess the procedure is the same.
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

HHTel wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2023 10:51 pmIf you don't want to delay your renewal, why not renew in Khon Kaen.
Well, I am off to Bangkok tomorrow and back on the 31st, so I was thinking I would do it then. So not really a case of delaying, more a case of fitting it in! But something to think about. Thanks.
Talk is cheap
GroveHillWanderer
Guru
Guru

caller wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2023 8:57 pm
GroveHillWanderer wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2023 8:21 pmAs far as my experience of it goes, you don't need to change your country, just set up a new profile with Thailand as the default location.
Thats helpful info to get around the issue of downloading the app. But despite following all the guidance about adding a new user to android, it's just not making it possible for me to do so.
Don't want to clutter up this thread on driving licenses so I'll send you a PM about this.
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

GroveHillWanderer wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 12:56 pmDon't want to clutter up this thread on driving licenses so I'll send you a PM about this
Just to say thanks to GHW, pm received, instructions followed and I am sorted.
Talk is cheap
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

HHTel wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 11:01 pm An example of how farcical the medical certificate is:

Finally got around to getting a medical certificate. Popped into a clinic. The receptionist took my passport and filled in a form using info in my passport. Then "sign her" - "100 baht". Never saw a doc or was asked any questions regarding health!
Just taken my daughter to get a certificate from this clinic. She was in and out in less than 5 mins with her certificate in hand. --- 100 Baht.
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

sateeb wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 3:28 pm This one?
https://www.google.co.th/maps/@12.55802 ... 8192?hl=en
This is the one I was referencing.
GroveHillWanderer
Guru
Guru

Just renewed my driving licence at Pranburi DLT office and it couldn't have been quicker or easier.

Got there at 8:40 and was out by 9:30 with my new licence in hand.

I had done the online video/test a couple of days earlier and showed them the QR code on check in.

Was only renewing a car licence so I just needed one copy of the relevant docs: residence letter, medical certificate and passport copies (main page and latest extension page). One thing to note - Hua Hin Immigration no longer issues you the residence letter same day - although it was a little strange, in that they told me it would take 3 days but gave me an appointment to come back 2 days later.

I didn't make an appointment for the licence renewal, just did it as a walk-in but that didn't seem to delay things much, if at all.

The physical ability tests consisted of identifying a red, yellow or green light, a reaction time braking test, a depth perception test (lining up the two white sticks) and peripheral vision test - very simple. Interestingly, there were no colour blindness or visual acuity tests as there were last time I renewed my licence.

As advised by BB, I waited until just after my birthday to renew, so got almost six years validity on the new licence - it's good till August 2029.
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

Hua Hin Immigration no longer issues you the residence letter same day - although it was a little strange
That is strange as the letter was normally done in the office next to the photocopy lady and was done within half an hour.
GroveHillWanderer
Guru
Guru

HHTel wrote: Fri Aug 18, 2023 11:15 am
Hua Hin Immigration no longer issues you the residence letter same day - although it was a little strange
That is strange as the letter was normally done in the office next to the photocopy lady and was done within half an hour.
It was that way the previous time I went but when I headed there this time, it was no longer there and I just had to go to the 'normal' check-in/information desk underneath the main building. I was a little taken aback as it was already past my birthday and I didn't want to be driving around for too long on my expired license but there was nothing I could do about it - I just had to come back in two days time, like they said.
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

GroveHillWanderer wrote: Fri Aug 18, 2023 12:12 pm
HHTel wrote: Fri Aug 18, 2023 11:15 am
It was that way the previous time I went but when I headed there this time, it was no longer there and I just had to go to the 'normal' check-in/information desk underneath the main building. I was a little taken aback as it was already past my birthday and I didn't want to be driving around for too long on my expired license but there was nothing I could do about it - I just had to come back in two days time, like they said.
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=41503
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

I’ve obviously not looked carefully enough, but I can’t find any link for doing the on-line driving test for renewal of a 5 year license - can anybody help? TIA!!
joelle
Legend
Legend

Post by joelle »

Dannie Boy wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2023 12:08 pm I’ve obviously not looked carefully enough, but I can’t find any link for doing the on-line driving test for renewal of a 5 year license - can anybody help? TIA!!
This is what we used for e-learning on the www.dlt-elearning.com website
Third line in English for foreigners, if you've never done it you'll need to register