Warning after dog nearly dies from popular Christmas treat

A place to discuss all things pets, vets and animal care.
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

I guess we all know about the dangers of chocolate with dogs, but I have not heard of this one:
……………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………...

https://au.news.yahoo.com/warning-dog-n ... 12148.html

A dog owner has issued a warning this Christmas after her cheeky pooch nearly died due to snaffling a mince pie.

Pauline Warren, 62, only noticed 15-month-old Belgian Shepherd Mickey had helped himself to one of the festive treats from the table as she left the room to answer her front door in Derby earlier this month when he began licking his lips.

But a quick Google search revealed the raisins in mincemeat can be fatal to dogs, causing unnoticeable kidney failure which can lead to death within 48 hours.

Train production manager Pauline quickly rushed rescue dog Mickey to the vet’s – where after being put on a drip, having his stomach pumped and undergoing $1700 in treatment – he made a full recovery in time for December 25.

“Mickey ate the pie at 10.30pm, and I was talking to the vet by 11pm and there by midnight,” she said.
“He was put on a drip at 1.30am and he remained on that drip for 48 hours.
“I didn’t want to leave him that long, but vets told me it was either 48 hours on a drip, or hope and wish he would be ok.

“When I spoke to the vet, she revealed just one raisin could have killed him.
“Don’t put your mince pies in arms reach of pets – you’re gambling with your dog’s life.”

Pauline was first alerted to the dangers of raisins when consumed by dogs via a Facebook post.
But as Mickey weighs 30kg she thought a single mince pie would just cause an upset stomach.

When she checked online, she realised the effects could be much more serious than she’d initially thought.

Mickey was rushed to Scarsdale Vets’ Pride Veterinary Centre in Derby where the night team made him sick to get rid of any residual mince pie in his stomach before putting him on an IV drip for the next two days.

Due to only having Mickey for several weeks after he was rescued from Cyprus, she did not yet have pet insurance for him so was forced to splash out $1700 in savings on his care.
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!
PeteC

Re: Warning after dog nearly dies from popular Christmas treat

Post by PeteC »

Yes, grapes of any variety, and subsequently raisins, can be deadly. All dogs I've found through reading are not the same and have different degrees of reaction. Grapes and chocolate though are on the top of my "NO" list. Pete
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Post by handdrummer »

Most dogs will refuse grapes. They don't seem to like the resistance of the skin. Maybe it's an inborn safety net.
europtimiste
Banned
Banned

Post by europtimiste »

Very useful informations to get rid of dogs.
barrys
Legend
Legend

Post by barrys »

europtimiste wrote: Sat Dec 22, 2018 5:17 pm Very useful informations to get rid of dogs.
You really are a ball of laughs.... but Happy Christmas anyway .......
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

Another one! Not heard about this before either. Although in this case I would not tolerate ANY pet that steals food, providing it has been trained properly.
………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………..
Grim warning after Christmas lunch item almost killed pet dog

With Christmas just days away, vets have warned pet owners to keep an eye on hungry dogs and cats while preparing their festive feasts, as stealing a snack could have potentially deadly consequences.

When an Adelaide couple answered a knock at the door just as they were about to sit down for dinner, 18-month-old border collie Rosie jumped up to the table and ate a meal containing a harmful ingredient.

“She devoured all the wife’s tea, and unfortunately it had onions in it, which is pretty deadly for dogs,” Ingle Farm pet owner John Dixon told 7 News.
“We knew we had to get her to the vets pretty much straight away.”
Vets fed Rosie charcoal and she was able to rid the toxin from her stomach, and she has since been given the all-clear.

Dr Alexander Sexton said the sneaky pet’s story was alarmingly common, as owners are often busy in the kitchen preparing a feast and dogs and cats are often able to help themselves.

Owners may not even know their pet has eaten something dangerous.

Aside from onions, other foods that can be potentially harmful for pets include mince pies, uncooked potatoes, cooked bones, chocolate, lollies, macadamia nuts, and grapes. Even Christmas decorations are a hazard.

“I’ve seen a few dogs that have eaten Christmas baubles, tinsel, wrapping paper,” Dr Sexton said.
“It can be potential fatal if they don’t receive the adequate treatment.”

Mr Dixon said he and his wife were surprised to learn the list of things that could be harmful to pets.

He said Rosie’s close call has taught him not to leave food on the table in future.
Pet owners have also been urged to plan for the care and safety of their animals over the Christmas and New Year festive season.
4d246931cc647cd71d0d4e74318ac03e.jpg
4d246931cc647cd71d0d4e74318ac03e.jpg (50.52 KiB) Viewed 788 times
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Cooked bones :shock:

Our dogs must be cats - 9 lives. Mrs BB will only give them cooked bones.
Championship Stoke City 3 - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 48; Position 20
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

Big Boy wrote: Sun Dec 23, 2018 11:24 am Cooked bones :shock:

My understanding is that the cooked bone theory has nothing to do with any kind of poisoning, but the fact that cooked bones are soft and splinter very easily possibly causing sharp shards getting stuck and penetrating their intestines. Apparently raw bones don't splinter like that.
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

PeteC wrote: Sun Dec 23, 2018 11:30 am
Big Boy wrote: Sun Dec 23, 2018 11:24 am Cooked bones :shock:

My understanding is that the cooked bone theory has nothing to do with any kind of poisoning, but the fact that cooked bones are soft and splinter very easily possibly causing sharp shards getting stuck and penetrating their intestines. Apparently raw bones don't splinter like that.
Yes, I beleive that is correct. Many years ago, not long after I first arrived here, my mate berated his Thai wife about giving the dogs bones, and her answer was: THEY ARE THAI DOGS! :roll:
Gregjam
Ace
Ace

Post by Gregjam »

Our dogs are Thai dogs and seem to buck the trend in regard to food. While I personally do not give them chocolate (I like it too much myself) they are very quick to consume anything the kids 'accidentally' drop. I am sure that the wife has fed them to odd grape or six with no untoward effect. Perhaps they have evolved beyond the pampered pedigree pooches of the west and are a more resilient variant. You only have to see some of the mangy strays around here and wonder how they have survived.
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Post by handdrummer »

My wife said the same thing about Thai Soi dogs; they can and do eat anything.
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

Gregjam wrote: Sun Dec 23, 2018 3:07 pm Our dogs are Thai dogs and seem to buck the trend in regard to food. While I personally do not give them chocolate (I like it too much myself) they are very quick to consume anything the kids 'accidentally' drop. I am sure that the wife has fed them to odd grape or six with no untoward effect. Perhaps they have evolved beyond the pampered pedigree pooches of the west and are a more resilient variant. You only have to see some of the mangy strays around here and wonder how they have survived.
Similarly, I have often fed our dogs cakes with raisins and sultanas with no ill effect - the same with cooked onions in many dishes.
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

handdrummer wrote: Sun Dec 23, 2018 3:39 pm My wife said the same thing about Thai Soi dogs; they can and do eat anything.
My adopted Thai mutts are like that, they'll eat absolutely anything. One of them eats so fast it's like putting an industrial vacuum cleaner hose in the bowl, I'm sure he never has time to taste anything but nothing seems to do them any harm.
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Post by handdrummer »

STEVE G wrote: Sun Dec 23, 2018 6:21 pm
handdrummer wrote: Sun Dec 23, 2018 3:39 pm My wife said the same thing about Thai Soi dogs; they can and do eat anything.
My adopted Thai mutts are like that, they'll eat absolutely anything. One of them eats so fast it's like putting an industrial vacuum cleaner hose in the bowl, I'm sure he never has time to taste anything but nothing seems to do them any harm.
Conversely there are a couple of dogs that hang out in my street and won't eat the food that a neighbor puts out for them. These dogs live in houses in the area so maybe they're persnickety.
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

Conversely there are a couple of dogs that hang out in my street and won't eat the food that a neighbor puts out for them. These dogs live in houses in the area so maybe they're persnickety.
It's not easy, but worth the effort to teach your dog(s)to ONLY eat from their own bowl.