Warning after dog nearly dies from popular Christmas treat

A place to discuss all things pets, vets and animal care.
pharvey

Re: Warning after dog nearly dies from popular Christmas treat

Post by pharvey »

barrys wrote: Sat Dec 22, 2018 9:34 pm
europtimiste wrote: Sat Dec 22, 2018 5:17 pm Very useful informations to get rid of dogs.
You really are a ball of laughs.... but Happy Christmas anyway .......
I wouldn't bite....... DAMN IT, just did!! :oops: :roll:
PeteC wrote: Sun Dec 23, 2018 11:30 am
Big Boy wrote: Sun Dec 23, 2018 11:24 am Cooked bones :shock:

Our dogs must be cats - 9 lives. Mrs BB will only give them cooked bones.
My understanding is that the cooked bone theory has nothing to do with any kind of poisoning, but the fact that cooked bones are soft and splinter very easily possibly causing sharp shards getting stuck and penetrating their intestines. Apparently raw bones don't splinter like that.
Pete - I did try to explain this to the LHG years ago - to no effect..... Also told her not to feed our faithful mutt any chicken bones - again (you guessed it) to no effect. "Bob the dog" is Chinese, bought from a "street seller" and brought over to the UK when we left Chongqing a few years past. He's now at the ripe old age of 17, so his diet can't be all that bad! That said, chocolate, raisins/grapes don't play a part - he does love cheese though (given in VERY small amounts once in a while). The LHG insists on giving him a meat, rice and veg dinner.

Can certainly understand the mince pies issue - don't the "Supermarket Brands" include an alcohol substitute?

Anyways - happy Christmas to mutts and all!!

:cheers: :cheers:
"Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things" - Yma o Hyd.