Swimming in the ocean in Hua Hin

Hua Hin general discussion, observations and chat. Hua Hin topics that don't really fit anywhere else.
Hahuahin
Guru
Guru

Swimming in the ocean in Hua Hin

Post by Hahuahin »

Christmas wish :) Where is the shark net (approximately location to nearby hotels so I have some direction markers) Is the area covered by the shark net big enough to could swim for the training benefit or only for play in the waters? If some are familiar with swimming in the ocean here, swimmers, surfers, divers, yes also regular beach walkers who sure observe most of what's going on I would be overly grateful for info about where there are least change for diving into a steam of jellyfish or worse, sharks. :|

Thank you
hahuahin
PeteC

Re: Swimming in the ocean Hua Hin

Post by PeteC »

To start off, have a look at the shark attack news thread:

viewtopic.php?f=18&t=36229
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
PJG
Professional
Professional

Re: Swimming in the ocean in Hua Hin

Post by PJG »

Only shark net is at Sai Noi Beach, Khao Tao. Covers a small area and most of it is now washed up on the beach.

Jelly Fish are very unaccomodating they are everywhere. Where there is sea there is also Jelly Fish and around Hua Hin lots of them. If you want to avoid stings cover up, particularly wear a long sleeve T-shirt when in the water. Most beaches now have Jelly Fish aid stations which consist of vinegar or baking soda to apply to the affected areas. However, being Thailand do not know if the liquids are replenished regularly.

I was badly stung a few years ago and ended up in hospital for a few days on a steroid drip to treat a severe allergic reaction. Strangly enough the reaction took place about a month after the incident and I have still got the scars on my arm from the stings
laphanphon
Guru
Guru

Post by laphanphon »

A shark nip would be the least of my worries swimming off Hua Hin.

Keep your tetanus and vaccines current .... LOL
Hahuahin
Guru
Guru

Re: Swimming in the ocean Hua Hin

Post by Hahuahin »

PeteC wrote: Fri Dec 21, 2018 5:19 pm To start off, have a look at the shark attack news thread:

viewtopic.php?f=18&t=36229
:shock: Eh..yes I have seen that thread and when I no more than anyone else would feel comfortable with sharks as swimming partners the question is whether this was just wandering sharks or if they have start to inhabit the waters permanent. On a side note I have of interest of swimming and as an active swimmer when I was young observed that organizers of open water Swim Athlons in Thailand nowadays restrict swim courses to an out and back course which probably are regulations handed down from the Government to assure the safety of participants. :|
Hahuahin
Guru
Guru

Post by Hahuahin »

Well, reopening old tread. Consider covid -19 more scary than Sharks so don't want to hear about that but just curious if someone has done a swim (in the ocean) recently and could say if its ok or not, i.e., not filled with jellyfish!
Thank you
hahuahin
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

You certainly should be okay as far as jellyfish go. Although they're around all year then tend not to come close to shore until the rainy season (June - October)
buksida

Post by buksida »

Prolly less sewage also with most of the hotels empty ... :duck:
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
KhunLA
Guru
Guru

Post by KhunLA »

As always ... swim in calm, clear water = pool. Now to find a lap pool ...
Hahuahin
Guru
Guru

Post by Hahuahin »

KhunLA wrote: Mon Feb 07, 2022 2:59 pm As always ... swim in calm, clear water = pool. Now to find a lap pool ...
I hear ya man. Oh yes I have tested and tried, either they are short, shallow in one end or the one said to be exclusive, freezing cold 6 months a year or filled with :naughty: :alien:
hahuahin :wink:
Hahuahin
Guru
Guru

Post by Hahuahin »

Today's Rant. I Start with the positive :) and fortunately do I not need to warn against sharks or jellyfish, but for a horribly polluted water. In 2020, the water (yes maybe due to total lockdown!) actually was relatively good from February to mid-May. Last year came what I see today already in April and yes this year we are only until mid-February. I do not know :? if it is algae or sewage or whatever, but underwater It looks green and I can imagine that it will look the same if you have a swimming pool and fill it with some truckload of newly cut grass and when I come up from the water its looks like black streaks all over the body. I had as usually a small towel with me to dry of after the swim and it got grey / black of this things. Btw, the stretch I moved up and down in the ocean today is about a kilometer both North and South straight out from where soi 85 ends.
hahuahin :(
hhinner
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by hhinner »

Sea definitely had a touch of green at the queens park 19 rai beach area today. Even so there were kids playing in it.