Virtual driving licence launched next month

Driving and riding in Hua Hin and Thailand, all topics on cars, pickups, bikes, boats, licenses, roads, and motoring in general.
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

Hmm, how are the Bib going to take it from you as they do now, if you are a naughty boy / girl?
……………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………..

https://www.bangkokpost.com/news/genera ... recent_box

Drivers will no longer have to carry licences after the Department of Land Transport (DLT) launches an electronic version of the ID in mid-January.

A user can install the DLT QR Licence mobile app for free by scanning the QR code in the picture above. After registering, it will connect with the department’s database and shows the images of both the front and back of his driving licence on the smartphone. When stopped by traffic police, he can then show the virtual card and the police can scan the QR code in the app to get more information about the driver.

The app can notify the user when his driver’s licence is about to expire and show the details of his traffic tickets. It can show his location in case of accidents or emergencies and provide some of his personal information such as blood group, allergy information and medical care entitlements.

The smart licence app is available to holders of personal, public and special driving licences so long as the hard-copy driving licences are of the new type with QR codes, which replaced the paper version on Sept 4, 2017. Owners of older paper licences can apply to change them into smart ones at DLT offices.

DLT director-general Peerapol Tavornsuppachaoren said the app was the answer to the digital life much in the same manner as ATM cash withdrawals have been replaced by electronic transfers.
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Re: Virtual driving licence launched next month

Post by handdrummer »

ATM cash withdrawals have been replaced by electronic transfers.

How does an electronic transfer put cash in my pocket? Sorry, I'm digitally challenged.
migrant
Addict
Addict

Post by migrant »

Then will we get virtual tickets?
The proper function of man is to live, not to exist. I shall not waste my days in trying to prolong them. I shall use my time.
Scout
Professional
Professional

Post by Scout »

One of my 2 licenses has the qr code. I tried scanning the qr code in the picture in the article, to install the app, but received a message that the campaign limit had been reached. Seems it’s not yet ready for widespread usage.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Scout wrote: Sun Dec 16, 2018 6:52 am Seems it’s not yet ready for widespread usage.
I think there may be a clue in the Subject of this thread, "Launched next month." :D
Championship Stoke City 3 - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 48; Position 20
Khundon1975
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Khundon1975 »

Yes,
“Launched next month” could cover a year or so, then quietly forget it and try something else.

TIT. 🤪
I've lost my mind and I am making no effort to find it.
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Post by handdrummer »

Just don't bother and do what you've been doing, It's not mandatory, yet.
buksida

Post by buksida »

STARTING TOMORROW, SMARTPHONES BECOME THAI DRIVER’S LICENSES
Forgetting one’s driver’s license at home won’t be a problem starting tomorrow when they go digital.

An electronic version for both cars and motorcycles goes live nationwide on Tuesday from the Land Transport Department.

Drivers must download the free DLT QR Licence application (iOS/Android, currently unavailable). Once it’s installed, drivers can register by email and phone number, then scan the QR code on the back of their physical driver’s license.

Those holding cards printed before QR codes were added in September 2017 can contact the department to get their e-licenses.

Apart from being used as a digital driver’s license, the application will also provide information about the holders’ traffic tickets and offer reminders to renew their licenses.

http://www.khaosodenglish.com/featured/ ... -licenses/

Hua Hin traffic police are going to have a party with this ... no app? 500 baht fine!
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
buksida

Post by buksida »

Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
lomuamart

Post by lomuamart »

Marvelous. Was going to apply for a driving licence fairly soon but don't have a smart phone.
RCer
Ace
Ace

Post by RCer »

They could cut down on accidents if people were virtually driving too.
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

lomuamart wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2019 1:30 pm Marvelous. Was going to apply for a driving licence fairly soon but don't have a smart phone.
I don't think the program intends to make use of the app and electronic registration mandatory. You'll get a new license and it will have the QR code on it, but it also acts as a normal license as it always has if the person chooses not to use it as a "virtual" license....IMO
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Post by handdrummer »

How does the govt. office in charge of such things intend to notify license holders if someone doesn't have a smart phone or computer?
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

It's not compulsory. If you don't like it then don't use it. You still have a physical licence which you can use as you do now.
Lost
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Lost »

HHTel wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 3:36 am It's not compulsory. If you don't like it then don't use it. You still have a physical licence which you can use as you do now.
Boooo! Why did you have to bring in facts b4 people really started kicking off. :D

:cheers:
I don't trust children. They're here to replace us.