Sugarland bar closed by Hua Hin police

Discussion on where to go when the sun goes down in Hua Hin; bars, pubs, clubs, karaoke and general nightlife.
NOKYAI
Ace
Ace

Sugarland bar closed by Hua Hin police

Post by NOKYAI »

Just watching the news on Ch4 , it looked like Sugarland on Binta block has been closed by the police. My Thai wasn’t up to understanding the whole report. Can someone enlighten me
Enjoying 'Retirement'....So many jobs to do, I don't know how I ever had time to work!
hhinner
Rock Star
Rock Star

Re: Sugarland closed by police

Post by hhinner »

Basically for selling alcohol though not authorised to sell and serving alcohol after hours. Raided by police, army, amphur officials at 1.10 am. https://www.77kaoded.com/content/248509 (in Thai).
NOKYAI
Ace
Ace

Post by NOKYAI »

Thanks
Enjoying 'Retirement'....So many jobs to do, I don't know how I ever had time to work!
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

My translation says closed for 5 years. Is that a bad translation, or is it right?

What effect does that have on the rest of the bars etc? My son has been entertaining visiting friends recently, and not been getting home until 1:30 to 3am. So obviously midnight closing is going to affect everywhere, I guess. Just what businesses need after a long low season, and with the high season about to begin.
Championship Stoke City 3 - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 48; Position 20
usual suspect
Ace
Ace

Post by usual suspect »

Yes BB...the prohibition order slammed on CLICK Bar, and on Toro bar earlier this year was that they could not trade on that site for 5 years..I am puzzled that Sugaland got raided at 1.10 am when nearly all bars pay the MiB to stay open till 2,00 (I would have thought they stayed open till 2.00 when they ran a promotion of all beers 60B till 10.00..leaving them a few hours selling at 'normal' price to re-coup a bit back)..But hey..I'm only saying..??
usual suspect
Ace
Ace

Post by usual suspect »

BUT...There was a time when each bar paid ONE lot of money to HH MiB...Then they (no surprise here) got greedy, and another sub-division of our local Mib came...Oh yes THEY wanted money also..So now the bars were paying DOUBLE what they were all within a week!!
But THEN the greedy sods came with a THIRD group from HH MIB wanting a share too (ffs!)...

...SO..many, many bars have said F*** y** and started closing at 12.00..So now the MiB are getting less & less due to their greed & more & more bars (who may well be financially struggling) are choosing to NOT pay anything to the MiB and are actually (in this present state of decline in the numbers of farang beer-drinking tourists) saving themselves money by shutting at 12.00
SO...When the powers-that-be do indeed get wind of a 'non-paying' bay staying open...then they will come down hard.

This not a hard fact, just my take on the situation in the Binta-Block... :( :(
oakdale160
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by oakdale160 »

There is an old Chinese saying "Kill the chicken to scare the monkey" (杀鸡儆猴)
StevePIraq
Rock Star
Rock Star

Re: Sugarland bar closed by Hua Hin police

Post by StevePIraq »

If bars closed when they should they would not have this problem
"Live everyday as if it were your last because someday you're going to be right." Muhammad Ali
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Being an 'almost' non-drinker, it doesn't bother me, but can anybody say what time bars should close in Hua Hin/Thailand? Is it one time fits all, or are there variations?

Points 48; Position 20
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Post by handdrummer »

It comes down to the PM & the police want to control every aspect of people's lives. It's the Mao model for ruling. They think that they can legislate morality, thereby improving the lives of the citizens while retaining power and increasing their own wealth. It's sad that at this late juncture in history that kind of mentality still exists. It's the political equivalent of keep women barefoot and pregnant.
Lost
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Lost »

StevePIraq wrote: Sat Dec 15, 2018 1:39 pm If bars closed when they should they would not have this problem
Aren't you just a bundle of fun!
I don't trust children. They're here to replace us.
StevePIraq
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by StevePIraq »

Lost wrote: Sat Dec 15, 2018 4:26 pm
StevePIraq wrote: Sat Dec 15, 2018 1:39 pm If bars closed when they should they would not have this problem
Aren't you just a bundle of fun!
More than u
"Live everyday as if it were your last because someday you're going to be right." Muhammad Ali
StevePIraq
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by StevePIraq »

handdrummer wrote: Sat Dec 15, 2018 4:23 pm It comes down to the PM & the police want to control every aspect of people's lives. It's the Mao model for ruling. They think that they can legislate morality, thereby improving the lives of the citizens while retaining power and increasing their own wealth. It's sad that at this late juncture in history that kind of mentality still exists. It's the political equivalent of keep women barefoot and pregnant.
If you go by that principle then no laws would apply and you would have total chaos. Laws apply in every country and if not followed people are held accountable.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

I see Sugarland are still advertising events for later this month on Social Media, so I guess brown envelopes have cleared the misunderstanding, and we're back to total chaos :twisted:

Points 48; Position 20
lomuamart

Post by lomuamart »

Although a bit of an aside, I've just returned from a quick visit to England.
It has been the case for a number of years that I can drive into any supermarket and buy some beers, a bottle of wine, a bottle of whisky at 8.30am. Or all of them. (Unless it's Sunday).
If I'm daft enough to try and drink all that on the way home then I deserve to be in trouble. And the law could quickly catch up with me.
It's just the option to shop when you choose or drink when you want.
There's nothing like returning happiness to the people.