Are expats falling out of love with the Land of Smiles?

General chat about life in the Land Of Smiles. Discuss expat life, relationship issues and all things generally Thailand and Asia related.
buksida

Are expats falling out of love with the Land of Smiles?

Post by buksida »

A recent survey by a Thailand-based, expat-oriented online forum has revealed fewer expatriates than ever before are choosing Thailand as a career base or retirement hub.

The bi-annual survey’s 2016 version first revealed that all was not well in the Land of Smiles’ expat communities, as a good number of respondents stated their intention of leaving some time in the not-too-distant future. Results of the 2018 survey indicate that, not only are fewer expats arriving to work or retire but that significant numbers of expatriates are packing their bags and leaving. In addition, the numbers of Western tourists choosing Thailand’s beachside resorts and islands for their holidays are also in serious decline.

It seems shifting market trends caused by the increasing cost of living combined with changing demographics favouring Chinese and Indian tourists have taken the gloss off the Southeast Asian country’s reputation as a favourite visitor and expatriate destination. Political instability and the poorly timed tightening of visa rules are hitting hard on expats, many of whom are crossing the border in the general direction of Cambodia and Vietnam. Commercial opportunities for expat investors and top talent are also in decline, leaving the country walking backwards towards its core of Western retirees living on their pensions.

Source: https://www.emigrate.co.uk/news/2018121 ... tures-new-

But of course ... expats are worthless and have no impact on the Thai economy ... Spending an average of 50k every month compared to a ten day Chinese tourist that gets through a few thousand Yuan in some shopping mall in Chiang Mai. :banghead:
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
PeteC

Re: Are expats falling out of love with the Land of Smiles?

Post by PeteC »

There was an article a few weeks ago indicating the country is short 20,000 + skilled Thais and Expats to staff what is planned for this new Eastern Economic Corridor, plus other industrial enterprises opening up in other locations in the country.

The above article doesn't bode well for them meeting those requirements from the Expat side, and in fact it won't happen from the Thai side either as there simply aren't the numbers of skilled and educated candidates. Pete :cheers:
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

I guess tourist do not watch much TV, especially the Thai channels. But I was stuck in a hospital waiting room this morning and that arrogant dik-tator came on the news. Anyone watching from overseas would not need to be able to understand Thai, to be able to see how he treats the media and anyone else unfortunate enough to have to deal with him. A bit like Buksida has mentioned on another thread about South America! Land of Smiles my arse!
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!
laphanphon
Guru
Guru

Post by laphanphon »

Haven't change my opinion of retirement choice, though also didn't arrive with blinders on.

Still has what my priorities were to chose, no to low RE Taxes = more pocket money, along with inexpensive and accessible healthcare, if needing in my old age.

So same same for me. Exchange rate sucks, but not Thailand's fault. Inflation is inflation, and worldwide, and would expect daily living cost (food / utilities) to double every 10 ish years. So no surprises there.

Younger lasses still smile at me, always a plus, as smiling or looking at someone 20 or 30 yrs younger than yourself in the west gets a frown in return.

Everyday living still inexpensive, except for those that need their western food prepared for them, then it's all a bit silly priced.

Shopping has gotten much better, especially online, locally.

Everything's sunshine and unicorns ... :cheers:

Sun broke out today, finally, well, not raining at least, and thinking H&C hoagie w/ shrimp cocktail and wine coolers surf side for dinner........what's not to love. :thumb:
oakdale160
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by oakdale160 »

This may be gloom and doom talk but I have noticed that 2 regular posters on HHF returned home after several years without a word on the forum, they crept out quietly (hhfarang is an exception and told us all about his exit) So it may be happening more than we think. I have read a great deal about British ex-pats in Europe, esp spain, returning to the UK because of imminent Brexit and a small wave of exits has turned int a big rush.
MDMK
Ace
Ace

Post by MDMK »

oakdale160 wrote: Wed Dec 12, 2018 9:24 pm This may be gloom and doom talk but I have noticed that 2 regular posters on HHF returned home after several years without a word on the forum, they crept out quietly (hhfarang is an exception and told us all about his exit)
He is certainly not the only exception, maybe you just missed the posts from others talking of their return to their homeland? I know I certainly read them! Or maybe people feel (rightly) that they're not obliged to go to into details of the whys with complete strangers, but it's hardly fair to accuse them of "creeping out quietly".

People are allowed to relocate without explaining the intricate details on an online forum, or only explaining to those who matter to them.
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Post by dtaai-maai »

^^I must confess the same thoughts occurred to me.
This is the way
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Post by dtaai-maai »

And the short answer to the question in the thread title is "in some cases, yes".
This is the way
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

There is another small point in that early retirement is rapidly becoming a thing of the past and now even the state pension age is starting to rise, so I'm not sure that people in their late sixties are going to be as likely to relocate to somewhere like Thailand as those in their fifties were.
centermid7
Banned
Banned

Post by centermid7 »

This will be my last year here in Thailand but I won't be "creeping" out. I live privately and modestly and those that need to know will know when the time is right.
migrant
Addict
Addict

Post by migrant »

I still like living in Thailand, and could continue so. Mrs M, who is Thai, wants to return to the USA. She spent 20+ years there, the last 11 working at Disneyland. She wants to work, but doesn't fancy the wages here.
The proper function of man is to live, not to exist. I shall not waste my days in trying to prolong them. I shall use my time.
usual suspect
Ace
Ace

Post by usual suspect »

Well it's not getting any easier to stay here as the years tick by.
The Immigration's visa requirements increase/change each year.
The poor exchange-rate makes it harder for many to enjoy the lifestyle they've become accustomed to.
Healthcare (despite what many say on here) can be damn well expensive..& many elderly ex-pats are unable to get/afford insurance.
But one key factor is how many ex-pats are 'trapped' here..?
Many folk..10/15 years ago (when the Baht was much weaker) found the LoS, and sold-up back in their home-country, thus making it nigh on impossible for them to return now.

My comments above are mainly based on the financial side of living here, but let's not forget many leave here due to
many other reasons..emotional stress/break-up with Thai spouse, problems that have arisen back home, old age leading to the need for care, just to name a couple of examples.

Me?..Yes it's not the same as it was, & I too are considering staying in the UK & simply holidaying here as+when.
RCer
Ace
Ace

Post by RCer »

Had I not been able to sort out the medical insurance issues between BKK hospital and the US Veterans Administration, I would have packed up and gone back to the US in Dec last year when it was discovered I had Thyroid cancer.

But now I'm fine where I'm at.

I do see Thailand losing interest in westerners and shifting it's attention to China, though.

It's not surprising because China needs the gateway militarily to Vietnam; it's current nemesis in Asia.
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Post by handdrummer »

usual suspect, excellent points. I do "feel trapped here." I can't afford to support 2 people at home and can't afford to fulfill the new visa requirements here. When it was based on a monthly income it wasn't a problem. Now I don't what I'm going to do, maybe Immigration will clarify things n the not too distant future. Who knows?
m_right
Guru
Guru

Post by m_right »

I have started spending more time back in the old country. Many of the same issues mentioned above. Been here 12 years but I never burned bridges. Now I am at 5 months here and 7 back there.
I'm glad I didn't buy a house here. I did buy a car and too much other "stuff"
I use the retirement visa but not sure what I will do now that my income affidavit will no longer be available. I doubt I will put 800,000 baht in a Thai bank.
"Religion is What Keeps the Poor from Murdering the Rich" -- Napoleon Bonaparte