Getting a credit card from a Thai bank

Visa questions, companies, work permits, employment, insurance, banking and finance, and legal issues.
hhinner
Rock Star
Rock Star

Re: Getting a credit card from a Thai bank

Post by hhinner »

buksida wrote:
RCer wrote: Sun Nov 25, 2018 7:34 pm I have a debit card from Bangkok Bank. It's useless online or outside Thailand. But works at most businesses now, except Makro.
Likewise with Visa debit from Kasikorn - works in most ATMs globally but useless online as it is 'Not verified by Visa'.

A Thai credit card is not a credit card as you must provide your own credit by filling the account up first. :banghead:
Deja vu.

A Thai credit card is a credit card for most people. Even for foreigners who have to have a deposit account associated with it, it can be used where credit cards can be and debit cards cannot, e.g. online airline ticket purchase.

As for kasikorn, you can set up a web shopping card for online purchases.

Thailand isn't the only country that discriminates like this. When I was working in Australia I couldn't get any kind of Visa or Mastercard credit or debit card. Ts & Cs always stated citizens or permanent residents only. After some years prepaid cards became easy to get, which is somewhat similar to account-backed card here.
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

My situation is that I have 2 Kbank savings accounts and visa debit cards, both work online as and when required. I asked for this facility when I opened my accounts.

My credit card is exactly that, no deposit required and operates exactly as my UK credit cards and can also be used online. But I accept I am fortunate in that my other half, who arranged the card for me, was able to act as guarantor, which is the sole reason I got it.
Talk is cheap
GroveHillWanderer
Guru
Guru

Post by GroveHillWanderer »

hhinner wrote: Mon Nov 26, 2018 1:12 pm it can be used where credit cards can be and debit cards cannot, e.g. online airline ticket purchase.
I'm not quite sure which debit cards you're talking about but I've never had a problem buying airline tickets online with any of the debit cards I've had in recent years. As far as I know, you can use them to buy just about anything, so long as you have enough funds to cover the cost - that's the whole idea of a debit card.

As the article on the link below says, "Nearly all airlines allow you to use debit [cards] to buy tickets. And you can do so online, over the phone or in person." There can however be some restrictions, as they also mention.

https://www.creditcards.com/credit-card ... t-card.php
hhinner
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by hhinner »

OK. It's quite a few years since I tried. Can you say whether debit cards can handle refunds in the same way as credit cards? And how about car rental where a cc prepayment may be required?
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

hhinner wrote: Mon Nov 26, 2018 7:50 pm OK. It's quite a few years since I tried. Can you say whether debit cards can handle refunds in the same way as credit cards? And how about car rental where a cc prepayment may be required?
For flights, it's probably wise to use a cc, for refunds, but I can only say that in respect of EU law, not in this neck of the woods.

To be honest, I have always taken the view that a debit card can be used anywhere a credit card is requested, unless for some reason it's specifically blocked. I only use a cc where I have to, I can't recall a problem using a debit card for hiring a car anywhere.
Talk is cheap
Chazz14
Professional
Professional

Post by Chazz14 »

I have an SCB (the purple and yellow bank) Debit Card which I use for ATM withdrawal, but I can't use it for online shopping as my name does not appear on the card...
hhinner
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by hhinner »

So, in principle a debit card is as good as a credit card if it's got your name on it and you don't actually need/want credit. What about being embossed. Are named credit cards embossed? Are credit cards still embossed for non-electronic use? What about payment protection (outside Thailand)? Do debit cards provide that?
Chazz14
Professional
Professional

Post by Chazz14 »

The card I have is a SCB Smart/Debit Plus. It has a chip. The card only number is only printed. My name is not shown and there is nothing embossed on it. There is an annual fee of B599. I can't help your re: PPI - sorry...

The good news is that it has a 6 digit pin and can be used in ATMs in England for a reasonable fee (2 years ago).
Pleng
Legend
Legend

Post by Pleng »

Chazz14 wrote: Mon Nov 26, 2018 10:30 pm I have an SCB (the purple and yellow bank) Debit Card which I use for ATM withdrawal, but I can't use it for online shopping as my name does not appear on the card...
My name doesn't appear on my Krungsri card, but it still is perfectly fine for online shopping. I just put my actual name in where it says "name that appears on card", rather than what it actually says ("privileged member" indeed!)
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

Pleng wrote: Tue Nov 27, 2018 12:33 pmMy name doesn't appear on my Krungsri card, but it still is perfectly fine for online shopping. I just put my actual name in where it says "name that appears on card", rather than what it actually says ("privileged member" indeed!)
Exactly the same for me and this keeps cropping up. The other day I booked the airport bus online and had omitted to put my name in the required space, went back and did so as requested and the payment was accepted. Yet my name isn't shown on either debit card I have, nor on my credit card, which I have already used online.

Once or twice, I have been tempted to type 'Micky Mouse' to see what happens, but decided it was a risk not worth taking.
Talk is cheap
hhinner
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by hhinner »

Is it possible to get a card designated as PIN only use. To me that would seem more secure in case of loss, especially in Thailand where cashiers don't check signatures anyway.
StevePIraq
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by StevePIraq »

europtimiste wrote: Mon Nov 26, 2018 12:55 pm
buksida wrote: Mon Nov 26, 2018 11:28 am
RCer wrote: Sun Nov 25, 2018 7:34 pm I have a debit card from Bangkok Bank. It's useless online or outside Thailand. But works at most businesses now, except Makro.
Likewise with Visa debit from Kasikorn - works in most ATMs globally but useless online as it is 'Not verified by Visa'.

A Thai credit card is not a credit card as you must provide your own credit by filling the account up first. :banghead:
I have Visa from Bangkok Bank and can use worldwide.
Could you provide a little more detail to assist others.
Do you have a work permit, if not how did you qualify. Is it a CC card or debit card. Is it a Infinite, Platinum Leader or Platinum credit.

I ask this as I would like a real card as I regularly use my overseas one which has costs associated.

I was in BKK Bank today to inquire and was told dead staright, I do not qualify
"Live everyday as if it were your last because someday you're going to be right." Muhammad Ali