Do you get around in Hua Hin....Or do you stay in your neighborhood?

Hua Hin general discussion, observations and chat. Hua Hin topics that don't really fit anywhere else.
T.O.M.
Banned
Banned

Do you get around in Hua Hin....Or do you stay in your neighborhood?

Post by T.O.M. »

Whenever someone asks about the best place to stay in Hua Hin, they get different answers, which is quite normal, since we all believe, that we live in the best neighborhood.
When I first arrived 17 years ago, I really looked around all over the place to find the right place for me. At that time, the very popular soi's (for expats) 88 to 112 were all pineapple fields. A few projects were taking shape in soi 102...land was cheap, because the Thai's knew it was a swamp (known as "soi dead animals").
After doing my survey, I ended up buying in Naebkehart (still affordable at that time..today forget it), liked the walking distance to the center of town and the closeness to the beach.
Happy where I am, I hardly venture very far from my local neighborhood. Do my shopping at Makro, a few times a year I go to Market Village and equally infrequent I visit the local markets. Food courts are not my thing, so now and then I leave the 'safety' of my neighborhood and go to my favorite Thai restaurant on the Palau Road.
Haven't seen all the development, that has taken place in the soi's 88-112....So if it wasn't for Big Boy's informative posts about that area, I would be even more ignorant.
What about you? Do you get around? Or are you (like me) happy in your micro universe?

PS. I travel within Thailand...long trips...!!
huahin4ever
Ace
Ace

Re: Do you get around in Hua Hin....Or do you stay in your neighborhood?

Post by huahin4ever »

T.O.M. wrote:Whenever someone asks about the best place to stay in Hua Hin, they get different answers, which is quite normal, since we all believe, that we live in the best neighborhood.
When I first arrived 17 years ago, I really looked around all over the place to find the right place for me. At that time, the very popular soi's (for expats) 88 to 112 were all pineapple fields. A few projects were taking shape in soi 102...land was cheap, because the Thai's knew it was a swamp (known as "soi dead animals").
After doing my survey, I ended up buying in Naebkehart (still affordable at that time..today forget it), liked the walking distance to the center of town and the closeness to the beach.
Happy where I am, I hardly venture very far from my local neighborhood. Do my shopping at Makro, a few times a year I go to Market Village and equally infrequent I visit the local markets. Food courts are not my thing, so now and then I leave the 'safety' of my neighborhood and go to my favorite Thai restaurant on the Palau Road.
Haven't seen all the development, that has taken place in the soi's 88-112....So if it wasn't for Big Boy's informative posts about that area, I would be even more ignorant.
What about you? Do you get around? Or are you (like me) happy in your micro universe?

PS. I travel within Thailand...long trips...!!
I like to have "everything" close by, so by living in Soi 94 it is close to the beach, both shopping malls, restaurants and bars. I love BKP type food courts but tired of Bintabaht. So I guess we are all different. Before I moved to 94 I lived in 112 and that was OK too, but more easy now.
YNWA
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Re: Do you get around in Hua Hin....Or do you stay in your neighborhood?

Post by dtaai-maai »

Well, I lived in the HH area for 11 years between 2006 and 2017, but as we were renting I lived in various areas from north Cha'am to Kao Tao and between over the years. Enjoyed all of them in different ways, but soi 136 (Thai Village) probably most, although it was the longest drive to the uni where I worked. We'd have stayed there if the Thai owner hadn't decided she wanted 15k instead of 9. As far as I know, she never got it and just lost a reliable long-term tenant.

In about 2008 we were offered a rai of land just west of Emerald Resort (on the road that runs south to north and appears to be numbered 2004) for 400k THB. Couldn't get the money together at the time, and the following year it had doubled in price... <sigh>

But to answer the question, wherever we were, we were always happy to travel to our favourite shops and restaurants, and our favourite beach at Hat Sai Noi. Let's face it, nowhere was that far away, and the only pain was having to drive through central Hua Hin at peak times.
This is the way