Premier League 2018-2019

Discussion on sports not relating to Hua Hin; football, rugby, motorsports, fantasy leagues and armchair sports fans meet here.
Lost
Rock Star
Rock Star

Re: Premier League 2018-2019

Post by Lost »

arcadianagain wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2019 3:16 pm
Lost wrote: Fri Feb 15, 2019 2:28 pm Arsenal.

*snigger*

:lach:
Are Spurs fans still sniggering?
No.

:cheers:
I don't trust children. They're here to replace us.
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Post by dtaai-maai »

Lost was the only one sniggering around here. He's too young to have spent 50 years of mid-table mediocrity and losing our best players to the likes of Man Utd and Real Madrid. As I said before, I'll settle for 4th place. Please. Pretty please.
This is the way
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Not much chance of losing Harry Kane then :run:
Championship Stoke City 3 - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 48; Position 20
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

Big Boy wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2019 10:01 pm Not much chance of losing Harry Kane then :run:
I’m normally a supporter of Harry Kane, but in Saturday’s defeat against Southampton, if he had scored half of his chances, Spurs would have won convincingly
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

I think if this Spurs team don't make top 4 this year, some will move on.

The managers options are reducing significantly.

The question is will he get money to invest in players? After Arsenal built their stadium, Wenger had to watch the pennies.
Talk is cheap
Lost
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Lost »

We don't have a thread on international football so I'll just stick this here. Just been looking at the England squad for the next friendly. Don't want to be seen as picking on this team specifically but it's inexcusable, piss poor and downright shameful.

Arsenal.

Not a single player representing England! What. A. Joke.

:cuss:
arcadianagain
Ace
Ace

Post by arcadianagain »

Lost wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2019 5:40 pm We don't have a thread on international football so I'll just stick this here. Just been looking at the England squad for the next friendly. Don't want to be seen as picking on this team specifically but it's inexcusable, piss poor and downright shameful.

Arsenal.

So here`s a question, Lost, what would you prefer, Spurs to win a trophy with their
many foreign players or England to gallantly lose a major semi-final with their many Spurs players?
Henry 14th
Guru
Guru

Post by Henry 14th »

Lost wrote:We don't have a thread on international football so I'll just stick this here. Just been looking at the England squad for the next friendly. Don't want to be seen as picking on this team specifically but it's inexcusable, piss poor and downright shameful.

Arsenal.

I agree, the state of English football at the national level is shocking, made highly apparently as the senior team were outclassed and knocked out of last year’s World Cup against Croatia.

5 Spurs players were on the field at one point in the second half, where a bottling culture inevitably resulted in subpar performances at a time when it really mattered.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Post by dtaai-maai »

Henry 14th wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2019 3:43 pm I agree, the state of English football at the national level is shocking, made highly apparently as the senior team were outclassed and knocked out of last year’s World Cup against Croatia.

5 Spurs players were on the field at one point in the second half, where a bottling culture inevitably resulted in subpar performances at a time when it really mattered.
I wasn't going to get sucked into this little spat, but if you're going to blame Spurs players for the best World Cup showing since 1966, then I'll find a way to live with it, thanks very much. :cheers:
This is the way
Lost
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Lost »

arcadianagain wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2019 2:55 pm
Lost wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2019 5:40 pm Don't want to be seen as picking on this team specifically but it's inexcusable, piss poor and downright shameful.

Arsenal.

So here`s a question, Lost, what would you prefer, Spurs to win a trophy with their
many foreign players or England to gallantly lose a major semi-final with their many Spurs players?
Of course, if Spurs won some trophies with only one or two players representing England, I would still be a very happy man. Though, to have the whole backbone of your English football club to be top English players is a wonderful bonus. A top four side not containing any of the top English players in their starting 11, or their whole squad for that matter, is a sorry state of affairs. Something unheard of in the Premier League era.

I do see Arsenal have some English youngsters in the squad. Hopefully they aren't there just to make up the numbers. Hopefully they will be nurtured and trained to become part of the first team.

Henry 14th wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2019 3:43 pm
I agree, the state of English football at the national level is shocking, made highly apparently as the senior team were outclassed and knocked out of last year’s World Cup against Croatia.

:roll:

Not worth a proper reply that one Henry.
Henry 14th
Guru
Guru

Post by Henry 14th »

dtaai-maai wrote:
Henry 14th wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2019 3:43 pm I agree, the state of English football at the national level is shocking, made highly apparently as the senior team were outclassed and knocked out of last year’s World Cup against Croatia.

I wasn't going to get sucked into this little spat, but if you're going to blame Spurs players for the best World Cup showing since 1966, then I'll find a way to live with it, thanks very much. :cheers:
The point here DM is that if Spurs and its players are able to stand up and be counted when it really matters, then I could take Lost’s stream of nonsense with more seriousness.

Henry 14th
Guru
Guru

Post by Henry 14th »

Lost wrote:
Lost wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2019 5:40 pm Don't want to be seen as picking on this team specifically but it's inexcusable, piss poor and downright shameful.

Arsenal.

Of course, if Spurs won some trophies with only one or two players representing England, I would still be a very happy man. Though, to have the whole backbone of your English football club to be top English players is a wonderful bonus. A top four side not containing any of the top English players in their starting 11, or their whole squad for that matter, is a sorry state of affairs. Something unheard of in the Premier League era.

I do see Arsenal have some English youngsters in the squad. Hopefully they aren't there just to make up the numbers. Hopefully they will be nurtured and trained to become part of the first team.

Guess it’s hard to argue with repeated evidence of failure when it comes time to overcome a challenge.

Lost
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Lost »

Henry 14th wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2019 6:28 pm
Lost wrote:

Guess it’s hard to argue with repeated evidence of failure when it comes time to overcome a challenge.

You make a good point Henry as in France's World Cup winning squad, Arsenal had at least...

Wait...hang on a minute.

:rasta:

Back to my original point though rather than petty bickering. The fact Arsenal have failed to blood and improve any English talent is a shocker. All foreign players owned by an American. Real quality English club, that! I'd be ashamed and appalled if Spurs went that way.
Henry 14th
Guru
Guru

Post by Henry 14th »

Lost wrote:
Lost wrote: Of course, if Spurs won some trophies with only one or two players representing England, I would still be a very happy man. Though, to have the whole backbone of your English football club to be top English players is a wonderful bonus. A top four side not containing any of the top English players in their starting 11, or their whole squad for that matter, is a sorry state of affairs. Something unheard of in the Premier League era.

You make a good point Henry as in France's World Cup winning squad, Arsenal had at least...

Wait...hang on a minute.

Back to my original point though rather than petty bickering. The fact Arsenal have failed to blood and improve any English talent is a shocker. All foreign players owned by an American. Real quality English club, that! I'd be ashamed and appalled if Spurs went that way.
And how so different from Man City, Liverpool, United and Chelsea? All foreign owned, purchased English players with foreign money?

Your thinking is channeled towards a team that contains a group of English players that are clearly not good enough at both the domestic and international level.

The real problem here is that The FA are not doing enough at the grass roots to develop and produce enough world class players and therefore we have to settle for average players who are unable to complete at the highest level. It just so happens that a group of those players have yet to win any form of competition and are part of a Spurs team that have again been unable to rise to the challenge of capturing a long awaited trophy.

There is no doubt that this period has seen Spurs play some great football, for that you should rightly be happy about, but the rest of your superiority claims just don’t hold any ground.

Lost
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Lost »

Henry 14th wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2019 8:12 am
Lost wrote:

Wait...hang on a minute.

And how so different from Man City, Liverpool, United and Chelsea? All foreign owned, purchased English players with foreign money?

Your thinking is channeled towards a team that contains a group of English players that are clearly not good enough at both the domestic and international level.

The real problem here is that The FA are not doing enough at the grass roots to develop and produce enough world class players and therefore we have to settle for average players who are unable to complete at the highest level. It just so happens that a group of those players have yet to win any form of competition and are part of a Spurs team that have again been unable to rise to the challenge of capturing a long awaited trophy.

There is no doubt that this period has seen Spurs play some great football, for that you should rightly be happy about, but the rest of your superiority claims just don’t hold any ground.

I am certainly not claiming any superiority at all. Simply stating facts and figures as evidence a team couldn't care less about having English players.

City, Liverpool, United and Chelsea, while foreign owned and a history of buying, or trying to buy, trophies, (Something I totally respect Arsenal for. Bar Ozil's ridiculous salary, they have kept to reasonable spending) they all have players representing England. To not have one player in the squad as a top four team is, like I said, unheard of.

You obviously think this current crop of England players is very poor - especially the Spurs players (not surprising). For Arsenal to be unable to escalate an academy player's talents enough to get a foot in the door of, by your accounts, an obviously crap England squad...is even worse then!