Premier League 2018-2019

Discussion on sports not relating to Hua Hin; football, rugby, motorsports, fantasy leagues and armchair sports fans meet here.
Henry 14th
Guru
Guru

Re: Premier League 2018-2019

Post by Henry 14th »

Lost wrote:
Henry 14th wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2019 8:12 am
Lost wrote: You make a good point Henry as in France's World Cup winning squad, Arsenal had at least...

Wait...hang on a minute.

:rasta:

Back to my original point though rather than petty bickering. The fact Arsenal have failed to blood and improve any English talent is a shocker. All foreign players owned by an American. Real quality English club, that! I'd be ashamed and appalled if Spurs went that way.
And how so different from Man City, Liverpool, United and Chelsea? All foreign owned, purchased English players with foreign money?

Your thinking is channeled towards a team that contains a group of English players that are clearly not good enough at both the domestic and international level.

The real problem here is that The FA are not doing enough at the grass roots to develop and produce enough world class players and therefore we have to settle for average players who are unable to complete at the highest level. It just so happens that a group of those players have yet to win any form of competition and are part of a Spurs team that have again been unable to rise to the challenge of capturing a long awaited trophy.

There is no doubt that this period has seen Spurs play some great football, for that you should rightly be happy about, but the rest of your superiority claims just don’t hold any ground.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I am certainly not claiming any superiority at all. Simply stating facts and figures as evidence a team couldn't care less about having English players.

City, Liverpool, United and Chelsea, while foreign owned and a history of buying, or trying to buy, trophies, (Something I totally respect Arsenal for. Bar Ozil's ridiculous salary, they have kept to reasonable spending) they all have players representing England. To not have one player in the squad as a top four team is, like I said, unheard of.

You obviously think this current crop of England players is very poor - especially the Spurs players (not surprising). For Arsenal to be unable to escalate an academy player's talents enough to get a foot in the door of, by your accounts, an obviously crap England squad...is even worse then!

You are right I do think the current crop of English players are poor and besides a lucky draw in the last World Cup they will not get close to winning a major honor any time soon. There are better teams with better players.

I also do not claim that Arsenal are a top 4 team. They have overachieved so far this season and with 8 league matches to go I’m pleasantly surprised they are in contention for a top 4 spot. Credit to the new manager for that and thanks to other teams for slipping up and allowing us the chance.....again.

We have several younger players part of the squad and comfortably qualify for the home grown players rule - with all coming through the academy instead of being bought as a senior player.

If they are not good enough to be part of the England squad in the upcoming friendly then so be it. I don’t think it’s shameful or appalling, there are many other premier league teams whose players have not been selected. You chose to single out Arsenal because you are a Spurs fan. Simple as that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Lost
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Lost »

I chose to single out Arsenal as you are a top four team. The league table is what it is.

I have no ill feelings towards Arsenal in general, although I do enjoy seeing them lose. I'd even go as far as saying that I rooted for arsenal against united ( :oops: ). United are a team that I actively dislike albeit much less passionately since that moron Pogba has stopped changing his hair daily, player's social media 'me me me' posts have dwindled and Jose is no longer poisoning the dugout.

They do, however, still grossly inflate the market value of players with their absurd player purchase and salaries in their pursuit of buying another trophy. Winds me up. Don't get me started on City and Chelsea...

Saying all this, United do have some good English players of which came through the academy route.

Which is my point.

Nothing to do with it being 'Arsenal'. All to do with a top four team not having any strong English talent. Surely yourself, and other Arsenal fans, can't be happy with this?

Imagine an Arsenal fan in politics trying to argue their case concerning too many immigrants in England. That, I believe... would be called irony.
I don't trust children. They're here to replace us.
Bamboo Grove

Post by Bamboo Grove »

It will be interesting to see what happens to PL football after Brexit.
Lost
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Lost »

Spurs to move into their new home on April 3rd. That didn't take long then, did it!?

Best footy stadium in England, possibly the world. Now, after 2 dry transfer windows, let's spend a bit of cash getting some new blood and depth in our squad please. A couple of strong signings would really make a difference.

:cheers:
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

King attends cremation of Leicester City owner Vichai

Most of the team attended as well. Photos and story at link.

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/ ... s/30366266
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/47996635

The Premier League has brought forward Liverpool and Tottenham's games before the second legs of their Champions League semi-finals.

The Reds were due to visit Newcastle on Sunday, 5 May, with Spurs travelling to Bournemouth the day after.

Both games will now be played on Saturday, 4 May, though the kick-off times are still to be confirmed.

Manchester City were due to host Leicester that day but the fixture has been moved to Monday, 6 May.

Spurs' game at Bournemouth was due to be the televised game on Monday but City's final home match of the season will now be broadcast instead.

It also means the defending champions will now play after title rivals Liverpool on the penultimate weekend of the Premier League season, when the title could be decided.

Chelsea and Arsenal's matches have also been moved back a day after both progressed to the Europa League semi-finals, with the two legs to be played on 2 and 9 May.

The Blues will now host Watford on Sunday, 5 May (14:00 BST), followed by the Gunners' home game against Brighton (16:30).

Tottenham host Dutch side Ajax in the first leg on Tuesday, 30 April, with the second leg in Amsterdam on Wednesday, 8 May.

Liverpool travel to Barcelona for their first leg on Wednesday, 1 May before welcoming the Spanish side to Anfield on Tuesday, 7 May.
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
Lost
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Lost »

I knew things were bad at Spurs concerning injuries but I didn't quite appreciate the gravity of the situation...

Vincent Janssen is on the bench today!

:shock:
Lost
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Lost »

images.jpeg
images.jpeg (11.69 KiB) Viewed 699 times
oakdale160
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by oakdale160 »

Quote from a previous post ( I have never found out how to do that yellow box trick)

Liverpool travel to Barcelona for their first leg on Wednesday, 1 May before welcoming the Spanish side to Anfield on Tuesday, 7 May.

I love that expression-- welcoming the Spanish side--It so sounds so dignified, so classy.
Lost
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Lost »

Spurs vs Brighton: What a shit game!

The F.A have got to start fining teams (or deducting points) that don't intend to let fans enjoy a football match. Timewasting from the 5th minute. 11 men behind the ball in and around their own box. Hoofing it out into nothingness from the 10th minute. Football fans pay an awful lot of money to come and be entertained by a game of football.

This was not that.

Brighton have spent 80 million more than Spurs over the last 5 years. Yet they can't come and give them a game. Pathetic!

Any team that parks the bus, or plays negatively/defensively for an entire game, should be deducted 6 points. This would ensure such rather-watch-paint-dry-kill-me-now games were a thing of the past.

On a lighter note, it was nice to see Vincent Janssen back in action. :shock:
oakdale160
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by oakdale160 »

You think the offside rule is difficult to officiate, I think the 'Dull Play" call might be even more difficult.
arcadianagain
Ace
Ace

Post by arcadianagain »

It`s a fact of life in the Premiership, teams just have to find a way against it. Perhaps the official responsible for time added on should step up and press his stopwatch now and again.
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Post by dtaai-maai »

arcadianagain wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2019 3:01 pm Perhaps the official responsible for time added on should step up and press his stopwatch now and again.
Absolutely! Mind you, we could have had an extra half hour last night, the Brighton keeper started time wasting in the 8th minute! I had to chuckle when Lloris did the same after the goal and got cheers and laughter from the Spurs fans. :laugh:
Lost wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2019 4:09 am On a lighter note, it was nice to see Vincent Janssen back in action. :shock:

On a lighter note... we won!!
This is the way
Lost
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Lost »

arcadianagain wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2019 3:01 pm It`s a fact of life in the Premiership, teams just have to find a way against it. Perhaps the official responsible for time added on should step up and press his stopwatch now and again.
Not to the lengths Brighton are taking it. Yesterday they registered their first shot on goal in over 2 matches. Really piss poor on their part. They should let all their fans watch for free and be made to subsidise the tickets of all the opposition's fans. Cover 90% of the ticket price should do it. Hope they go down.

:cuss:
Lost
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Lost »

Man U have not scored a goal in open play for 8hrs 47 mins yet their players' yearly salary is, on average, half a million more than City players. Double that of Spurs' wage bill. What a silly little club they have become.

Too try get them back with the elites, there's talk of them spending 3-400 million this summer. Hold up a minute... didn't they just do that? Man U epitomises the saying, 'You can't buy class'.

:wink: