Immigration 24 hour address registration clampdown starts in Phuket

Visa questions, companies, work permits, employment, insurance, banking and finance, and legal issues.
SPONSORS: Chavalit & Partners : AA Insurance
User avatar
huahin4ever
Guru
Guru
Posts: 573
Joined: Tue Jul 17, 2012 12:07 pm
Location: Hua Hin

Re: Immigration 24 hour address registration clampdown starts in Phuket

Post by huahin4ever » Mon Sep 17, 2018 3:40 am

I have stayed in HH for nearly 9 years and have never reported my address. My address is reported everytime I renew my marriage visa, and I have multiple entry and travel in and out of the country several times every year. No one has ever asked me to do 24 hours reporting and Immigration has never said or done anything.
YNWA

nil
Member
Member
Posts: 93
Joined: Fri Dec 11, 2015 1:20 pm

Re: Immigration 24 hour address registration clampdown starts in Phuket

Post by nil » Mon Sep 17, 2018 11:06 am

There is no consistency. Every immigration office has their own rules which can change overnight. Pattaya immigration are fining people who own their own condo’s and don’t report their address within 24 hours of arriving.

handdrummer
Ace
Ace
Posts: 1336
Joined: Mon Mar 03, 2014 11:58 am

Re: Immigration 24 hour address registration clampdown starts in Phuket

Post by handdrummer » Mon Sep 17, 2018 1:59 pm

Ultimately, people will get fed up with all the changing regulations and retire somewhere else. Thailand always seems to shoot itself in the foot.

europtimiste
Guru
Guru
Posts: 830
Joined: Thu May 08, 2014 12:19 pm

Re: Immigration 24 hour address registration clampdown starts in Phuket

Post by europtimiste » Mon Sep 17, 2018 3:42 pm

If you go to Bangkok, Phuket or Ch.Mai, they cannot know that you traveled and when you came back, that's different if you were abroad.

moater
Specialist
Specialist
Posts: 142
Joined: Wed Aug 13, 2014 4:20 am

Re: Immigration 24 hour address registration clampdown starts in Phuket

Post by moater » Mon Sep 17, 2018 4:19 pm

europtimiste wrote:
Mon Sep 17, 2018 3:42 pm
If you go to Bangkok, Phuket or Ch.Mai, they cannot know that you traveled and when you came back, that's different if you were abroad.
They certainly can if you stay in hotels. That's the reason hotels ask for your passport. Hotels have a website where they must report your stay to immigration (basicallly doing a TM30 for you). They face hefty fines if they don't, and some already got burned by it.

You can *usually* avoid the report by either having the booking on your Thai spouse's name and letting her check-in, or by providing a Thai ID instead of a passport (the pink one confuses them sufficiently).

Many people get fined for failing to report their new (or old) address after leaving a hotel. The interpretation and enforcement of this requirement varies greatly between offices. Fortunately, HH is very lenient on most things.

europtimiste
Guru
Guru
Posts: 830
Joined: Thu May 08, 2014 12:19 pm

Re: Immigration 24 hour address registration clampdown starts in Phuket

Post by europtimiste » Mon Sep 17, 2018 4:42 pm

moater wrote:
Mon Sep 17, 2018 4:19 pm
europtimiste wrote:
Mon Sep 17, 2018 3:42 pm
If you go to Bangkok, Phuket or Ch.Mai, they cannot know that you traveled and when you came back, that's different if you were abroad.
They certainly can if you stay in hotels. That's the reason hotels ask for your passport. Hotels have a website where they must report your stay to immigration (basicallly doing a TM30 for you). They face hefty fines if they don't, and some already got burned by it.

You can *usually* avoid the report by either having the booking on your Thai spouse's name and letting her check-in, or by providing a Thai ID instead of a passport (the pink one confuses them sufficiently).

Many people get fined for failing to report their new (or old) address after leaving a hotel. The interpretation and enforcement of this requirement varies greatly between offices. Fortunately, HH is very lenient on most things.
If you stay in a hotel, the owner will do it. That's about tourists.
If you have a year visa or a 2 month visa, you stay in your condo or house, there is nothing to report.
If you travel abroad, your 90 days report restarts when you come back to Thailand. They requested to report your arrival in order to recalculate the 90 days as many farangs cannot count.

Phyton
Specialist
Specialist
Posts: 194
Joined: Tue Jan 03, 2006 7:23 pm
Location: Germany EU and Cha-Am

Re: Immigration 24 hour address registration clampdown starts in Phuket

Post by Phyton » Mon Sep 17, 2018 4:55 pm

europtimiste wrote:
Mon Sep 17, 2018 4:42 pm
....
If you have a year visa or a 2 month visa, you stay in your condo or house, there is nothing to report.
...
So if i have a tourist visa, and stay in my own condo, you think no need to report to immigration with TM30.

Can you provide the source of this info please.
Greets,
Phyton

europtimiste
Guru
Guru
Posts: 830
Joined: Thu May 08, 2014 12:19 pm

Re: Immigration 24 hour address registration clampdown starts in Phuket

Post by europtimiste » Mon Sep 17, 2018 6:43 pm

Phyton wrote:
Mon Sep 17, 2018 4:55 pm
europtimiste wrote:
Mon Sep 17, 2018 4:42 pm
....
If you have a year visa or a 2 month visa, you stay in your condo or house, there is nothing to report.
...
So if i have a tourist visa, and stay in my own condo, you think no need to report to immigration with TM30.

Can you provide the source of this info please.
No source, just your brain. You have a tourist visa, usually it's for 30 or 60 days. You stay in your condo and leave, nobody will ask you anything at airport.

HHTel
Rock Star
Rock Star
Posts: 3809
Joined: Mon Feb 12, 2007 7:44 pm

Re: Immigration 24 hour address registration clampdown starts in Phuket

Post by HHTel » Mon Sep 17, 2018 6:48 pm

It seems to me that the only time a foreigner has to report his address to immigration is if they own a condo as they are the housemaster responsible for reporting the stay of a foreigner.
In all other cases, it's not the foreigner's responsibility but the housemaster, owner or possessor of the residence. It says as much on the form. Unless you are a housemaster etc, it is never the foreigners responsibility to report.

It even goes on to say that if you are submitting a TM30 yourself, then you need a letter (Power of Attorney) from the landlord or owner.

So given that a TM30 has nothing to do with the individual, then how do you report a change of address?

Phyton
Specialist
Specialist
Posts: 194
Joined: Tue Jan 03, 2006 7:23 pm
Location: Germany EU and Cha-Am

Re: Immigration 24 hour address registration clampdown starts in Phuket

Post by Phyton » Mon Sep 17, 2018 7:01 pm

europtimiste wrote:
Mon Sep 17, 2018 6:43 pm
Phyton wrote:
Mon Sep 17, 2018 4:55 pm
europtimiste wrote:
Mon Sep 17, 2018 4:42 pm
....
If you have a year visa or a 2 month visa, you stay in your condo or house, there is nothing to report.
...
So if i have a tourist visa, and stay in my own condo, you think no need to report to immigration with TM30.

Can you provide the source of this info please.
No source, just your brain. You have a tourist visa, usually it's for 30 or 60 days. You stay in your condo and leave, nobody will ask you anything at airport.
Okay, example.
I like to renew my Thai driver's license. For this i need a Certificate of Residence from immigration.
TM30 needed or not?
Greets,
Phyton

John A Graham
Novice
Novice
Posts: 2
Joined: Wed Aug 29, 2018 10:19 pm

Re: Immigration 24 hour address registration clampdown starts in Phuket

Post by John A Graham » Mon Sep 17, 2018 8:18 pm

Thanks for the feedback! I sometimes think it's better to only volunteer information when it's specifically asked for. Certainly that was the case getting the OA visa in London. I wasn't asked for a medical certificate but handed one over anyway so as not to hold the process up. Then of course I was told it wasn't notarised and I had to go away and get that done. Mind you we Brits are just as bad when it comes to forms; especially since the new data protection act came into force!!

europtimiste
Guru
Guru
Posts: 830
Joined: Thu May 08, 2014 12:19 pm

Re: Immigration 24 hour address registration clampdown starts in Phuket

Post by europtimiste » Mon Sep 17, 2018 8:29 pm

Phyton wrote:
Mon Sep 17, 2018 7:01 pm
europtimiste wrote:
Mon Sep 17, 2018 6:43 pm
Phyton wrote:
Mon Sep 17, 2018 4:55 pm


So if i have a tourist visa, and stay in my own condo, you think no need to report to immigration with TM30.

Can you provide the source of this info please.
No source, just your brain. You have a tourist visa, usually it's for 30 or 60 days. You stay in your condo and leave, nobody will ask you anything at airport.
Okay, example.
I like to renew my Thai driver's license. For this i need a Certificate of Residence from immigration.
TM30 needed or not?
As tourist are you allowed to have a Thai driving license ? I have a year visa and I never needed to have a Certificate of Residence. Maybe that's new.

Phyton
Specialist
Specialist
Posts: 194
Joined: Tue Jan 03, 2006 7:23 pm
Location: Germany EU and Cha-Am

Re: Immigration 24 hour address registration clampdown starts in Phuket

Post by Phyton » Mon Sep 17, 2018 8:45 pm

Yes, for the 2 year Thai driving license is also the 30 days entry stamp as the tourist visa valid.

For the 5 year Thai driving license a nonimmigration visa is needed.
Greets,
Phyton

User avatar
buksida
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 16784
Joined: Tue Dec 31, 2002 12:25 pm
Location: south of sanity
Contact:

Re: Immigration 24 hour address registration clampdown starts in Phuket

Post by buksida » Mon Sep 17, 2018 9:21 pm

:offtopic: There are plenty of threads discussing driving licenses - this one is about 24 hour reporting.
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson

moater
Specialist
Specialist
Posts: 142
Joined: Wed Aug 13, 2014 4:20 am

Re: Immigration 24 hour address registration clampdown starts in Phuket

Post by moater » Mon Sep 17, 2018 9:48 pm

europtimiste wrote:
Mon Sep 17, 2018 4:42 pm
If you stay in a hotel, the owner will do it. That's about tourists.
You said "If you go to Bangkok, Phuket or Ch.Mai, they cannot know that you traveled", implying that travel within Thailand won't change your TM30 status. As I explained, that is not true for hotel stays (and some condo stays as well) and it makes no difference whether you are on a tourist visa or on a non-O.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: handdrummer and 4 guests