BBC iPlayer

Discussion, recommendations and reviews for music, movies, books and games. Creative arts, crafts and photography welcome.
Big Boy

Re: BBC iPlayer

Post by Big Boy »

GroveHillWanderer wrote: Tue Aug 08, 2023 5:23 pm As mentioned before, most of the games (pretty much all of them, as far as I can tell) are also on FIFA+ website, at:

https://www.plus.fifa.com
Yes, thank you - I was on the verge of trying it earlier, but it all came good at half time.
Championship Stoke City 3 - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 48; Position 20
buksida

Post by buksida »

The quest for a decent live stream is still on - iPlayer buffering and playing up as usual during last night's France game.

Here's what else I've tried:

Fifa Plus website - appears to have replays and highlights only, couldn't find any live streams.
Aussie Channel 7plus (7plus.com.au) VPN set to AU - worse than iPlayer, stream was 360p quality and unwatchable
Aussie Optus Sport - subscription only
Bosscast - couldn't go full screen and you get a million popups in Chrome
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
sateeb
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by sateeb »

buksida wrote: Wed Aug 09, 2023 7:16 am The quest for a decent live stream is still on - iPlayer buffering and playing up as usual during last night's France game.

Fifa Plus website - appears to have replays and highlights only, couldn't find any live streams.
Aussie Channel 7plus (7plus.com.au) VPN set to AU - worse than iPlayer, stream was 360p quality and unwatchable
I had trouble with that, try switching your VPN on or off. Sometimes you have to click on the screen a few times to get access to sound and full screen. Works fine for me and I'm a long way from being a computer wizz, a few tweaks will get you there eventually.

Or try https://www.vipstand.st/.
“Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.”

― George Carlin
“The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.” -George Orwell.
buksida

Post by buksida »

Cheers, will have another crack on the next match.
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
GroveHillWanderer
Guru
Guru

Post by GroveHillWanderer »

buksida wrote: Wed Aug 09, 2023 7:16 am The quest for a decent live stream is still on - iPlayer buffering and playing up as usual during last night's France game.

The FIFA plus website definitely has live streams - I've watched games on it every single time the game in question was being covered by ITV in the UK - so roughly half the games so far.

You shouldn't have any VPN on, by the way and it may depend which browser you use. I can't recall now but I think I noticed the live streams didn't show up on Opera, but do on Firefox (on an Android device, at least).

I'm watching Spain vs Netherlands on FIFA+ right now.
buksida

Post by buksida »

Did you have to register? Thats the only thing I haven't done which could be why I'm not seeing the live streams (tried Chrome and Brave browsers, but not FF yet).
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

I've seen the live streams offered without having registered. I haven't tried accessing them though.

FIFA.jpg
(187.68 KiB) Downloaded 509 times

Points 48; Position 20
GroveHillWanderer
Guru
Guru

buksida wrote: Fri Aug 11, 2023 9:37 am Did you have to register? Thats the only thing I haven't done which could be why I'm not seeing the live streams (tried Chrome and Brave browsers, but not FF yet).
I already had a FIFA account and logged in using that. So yes, it could be that you have to have an account to watch live streams. It's free to register and didn't take too long, as I recall.
GroveHillWanderer
Guru
Guru

Having said that, I just checked. It's definitely browser-dependent. On Opera, even though I'm logged in, I don't see any live streams option. On Firefox, I get the live streams even if I'm not logged in.

In both cases, we're talking about the Android versions. I haven't tried it on a laptop running Windows.
buksida

Post by buksida »

Nice one, FF it is then. Very strange that its website developers would impose such browser limitations.
GroveHillWanderer
Guru
Guru

buksida wrote: Fri Aug 11, 2023 10:33 am Nice one, FF it is then. Very strange that its website developers would impose such browser limitations.
It could be that it depends on the method of streaming that they're using and whether that streaming method is supported in the browser or not.
buksida

Post by buksida »

After much fiddling about, changing browsers, turning VPN on and off, and signing in and out, I got the live streams to show up on the Fifa site.

Watched both games on it yesterday and what a difference, full HD and no buffering. No more poxy iPlayer for me! Thanks again for the tip GHW.
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

Perhaps I asked this before? The BBC is cutting shows both TV and Radio and firing people, but they seem to continue to refuse to offer paid subscriptions to those residing outside of the UK.

It simply makes business sense for them to offer as there is a huge demand IMO, and whatever bylaws or UK Gov regulations governing the BBC could be easily changed. :banghead:

Edit: Perhaps they are simply fearful of pirating, but this is 2024 coming up, there must be methods to heavily prevent that from happening.
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Their fear is well founded, but by not allowing Expats the option of buying, they leave us all no option but to steal their content. Personally, I'd much rather be legal, but there is no option. Of course, some would continue to steal, but many would choose the legal option.

Points 48; Position 20
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

Netflix, HBO, Amazon Prime and so many others operate worldwide. Yes, Netflix allowed the stupid "password sharing" for way too long. Regardless, these companies make money hand over foot. I would hope the BBC could figure it out.
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source