BBC iPlayer

Discussion, recommendations and reviews for music, movies, books and games. Creative arts, crafts and photography welcome.
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Re: BBC iPlayer

Post by Dannie Boy »

I did a Google search and it came up with this

Which TV channel is The Chelsea Detective on?
The Chelsea Detective has arrived! The first episode of the four-part series launched on Acorn TV on Monday, February 7, 2022, with later episodes following weekly on Mondays.7 Feb 2022
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

Here's one with a reference to BBC First/BBC IPlayer. Relieved that I'm not going nuts, yet. :laugh:

Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

Getting back to the original question leaving the series out of it, what kind of legal department does the BBC have? :roll: They clearly advertise "anytime, anywhere" all over the place but it's not really. Someone is going to call them out on that sooner or later.
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

The Chelsea Detective.jpg
The Chelsea Detective.jpg (110.1 KiB) Viewed 665 times
Championship Stoke City 3 - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 48; Position 20
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

PeteC wrote: Sun Jul 03, 2022 1:37 pm Getting back to the original question leaving the series out of it, what kind of legal department does the BBC have? :roll: They clearly advertise "anytime, anywhere" all over the place but it's not really. Someone is going to call them out on that sooner or later.
Ahhh, the small print. I just noticed at the bottom of that You Tube clip at the end.... "In selected territories". It seems they have covered themselves. Drat.
404cameljockey
Ace
Ace

Post by 404cameljockey »

You certainly need a VPN to watch iPlayer, but you also may need to decide which web browser to use and clear its entire history and all other browsing data before closing it, starting up your UK VPN IP address and reopening the cleaned browser. Otherwise you may still get the 'not available in your area' message.I watched most of Wimbledon tennis without too much buffering although needing an occasional closing and reopening of iPlayer.
buksida

Post by buksida »

Tried some of the world cup on it yesterday and it is virtually unwatchable in terms of quality which was less than 480p. For whatever reason, the ITVX player works much better.
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

I didn't watch yesterday, but I've been getting exceptional pictures on both BBC and ITV when watching the World Cup. Using Express VPN (connected UK - East London) through an old laptop.

Points 48; Position 20
GroveHillWanderer
Guru
Guru

Post by GroveHillWanderer »

buksida wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2023 11:39 am Tried some of the world cup on it yesterday and it is virtually unwatchable in terms of quality which was less than 480p. For whatever reason, the ITVX player works much better.
I've watched a number of the games on BBC iPlayer - for the most part it's a perfectly clear picture, although it does very occasionally drop to a slightly lower resolution for thirty seconds or so.

Perhaps try a different VPN? Most of them offer free trials.
buksida

Post by buksida »

Must be an internet issue then if you're both using Express VPN as well and it plays fine.
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
GroveHillWanderer
Guru
Guru

Post by GroveHillWanderer »

buksida wrote: Mon Jul 31, 2023 8:27 am Must be an internet issue then if you're both using Express VPN as well and it plays fine.
Not necessarily - it could be a number of different things. For instance, what system are you using? If it's a PC or laptop it could depend partly on what browser you're using. I use the Android TV OS app on a Mi TV box now, but when I used to use my laptop I found Firefox was the best browser, performance-wise. Chrome and Edge were often not so good.

Oh, and incidentally I don't use Express VPN, I use Nord VPN, which I've found to be a distinct improvement over Surfshark which I used previously.
buksida

Post by buksida »

Laptop, W11, Express VPN to London, Chrome usually as others play up with it. Will test it out for this evening's England game (though I'm hoping its on ITV!)
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

You’re in luck as it’s on ITV!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
buksida

Post by buksida »

Still struggling with iPlayer, watched both matches yesterday, the ITVX one was crystal clear, and the BBC one looked like 480p most of the time.

Have tried the following:
Different browsers
Different VPN locations
Different laptop
Video settings in iPlayer set to "best"

Today's England v Nigeria game is on the BBC ... bugger.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

It must be luck of the draw because I experienced my first buffering of the tournament yesterday for the USA/Sweden game, which was on ITV.

However, my son was in a Zoom call to Scotland at the same time on another computer, which probably had an adverse effect.

Points 48; Position 20