What's Happened To The Water Supply in Hua Hin?

Hua Hin general discussion, observations and chat. Hua Hin topics that don't really fit anywhere else.
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Re: What's Happened To The Water Supply in Hua Hin?

Post by HHTel »

I believe only a dozen or so houses in our little soi were affected -------- BUT NOBODY THOUGHT TO REPORT IT! Until I was aware of the cut-off.
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

Anyway because of a delivery of water, the 13 year silt has been stirred up so now we have brown water which is improving by the hour. Which brings me to your cleaning lady, BB. I still have the number and once the holiday is over I'll give her a call and get it cleaned out.
When you get it cleaned have them measure it: L x B x H, and then you can work out just what it does hold. :thumb:
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

Thanks Nereus,
Yes I was going to do that. I've always believed it to be 25,000 ltrs but now I'm not so sure. It would be nice to know.
uncle tom
Ace
Ace

Post by uncle tom »

The water authorities can do splendid work on keeping the water supply clean at source from Pranburi, but until they arrange to keep the entire network under positive pressure and outlaw the use of pumps, every defect on the network will be sucking dirty ground water into the main whenever the pressure turns negative.

Building a proper water tower or two to stabilise pressure would be a good start..
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly...
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

outlaw the use of pumps
I assume you mean pumps connected directly to the main water system. In most countries it is illegal to attach a pump to mains water as I believe it is here. But TIT.

Most pumps are used with storage tanks which unless you have a roof tank using gravity, then a pump is essential.
uncle tom
Ace
Ace

Post by uncle tom »

In most countries it is illegal to attach a pump to mains water as I believe it is here. But TIT.
If they installed some decent water towers, there would be no need for either pumps or storage tanks, save for the very highest buildings..
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly...
Socrates

Post by Socrates »

uncle tom wrote: Wed Dec 26, 2018 11:53 pm
In most countries it is illegal to attach a pump to mains water as I believe it is here. But TIT.
If they installed some decent water towers, there would be no need for either pumps or storage tanks, save for the very highest buildings..
Exactly... and if it would not be as expensive, I would install a water tower on our space, when we construct the house.

The pump pressure is too low, also for me. But to higher it, it will leak the connection in the pipes.
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

Not sure why you would think the pipe connection wouldn't stand a higher pressure. I can run 4 sprinklers and still able to have a shower upstairs with no loss of pressure. Never had a problem with leaks.
Lost
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Lost »

HHTel wrote: Thu Dec 27, 2018 3:22 am Not sure why you would think the pipe connection wouldn't stand a higher pressure. I can run 4 sprinklers and still able to have a shower upstairs with no loss of pressure. Never had a problem with leaks.
:agree:

No problem about pressure. I run a couple more sprinklers than HHTel, I can take a shower, she can, the boy can, and the maid can hose the dogs all at the same time. Never had an issue. I reckon we could turn all remaining taps on (10-12 not sure) and would still be fine.

Never had a problem with water pressure. Water cut off completely, sure... had that!

:cheers:
I don't trust children. They're here to replace us.
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Post by handdrummer »

The real problem with water here is the filth in it, that and the intermittent supply.
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

That's one of the advantages of having a good storage tank. All the silt sinks to the bottom giving you relatively clean water. Plus with a large tank overcomes the intermittent supply.
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

HHTel wrote: Thu Dec 27, 2018 3:22 am Not sure why you would think the pipe connection wouldn't stand a higher pressure. I can run 4 sprinklers and still able to have a shower upstairs with no loss of pressure. Never had a problem with leaks.
The blue coloured PVC pipe used here comes in several different pressure ratings and is marked: 5, 8.5 and 13.5 kgf/cm2, or Bar. House pipes are usually 8.5 Bar, or 123 psi, working pressure.
Most small house pumps run around 3.5 Bar, or 50 psi, usually less, sometimes only 2.5 Bar.

So the pressure is not the problem. The problem is how Somchai glued the joints together, OR NOT!
The other problem with new buildings in particular, is settling which can and has led to fractured pipes leaking in the most inaccessible place!

The Tessabahn supply is pressurised with electrically driven centrifugal pumps, but the problem here is the undersized pipes being used, which lead to big friction losses in the system, and subsequent pressure drops.
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

You are clever!

:bow:
uncle tom
Ace
Ace

Post by uncle tom »

The real problem with water here is the filth in it, that and the intermittent supply.
The two are linked. When the supply dwindles, people use pumps to suck water out of the main. Where the joints are not perfect, the negative pressure that results sucks in the filth..

Against the overall scheme of things, what does a water tower cost to build in Thailand? A decent tower might keep the supply pressured for ten thousand homes perhaps, and have a lifespan of maybe 50 years - the cost per household per annum is going to be peanuts - one or two hundred baht per year maybe..

Mindful of the way Thais think, I suppose we need to find out who the head honcho is, and convince him that he's just had a brilliant idea..
limbu

Post by limbu »

Are small water based businesses closing down? Within the last month the car wash I use at Khao Takiab has been demolished; and the coin operated washing machine laundry that I use further south is more or less abandoned with none of the machines functioning and no water supply. If there is a coin operated laundry in the area that is functioning please let me know where. With thanks.