Tips for recycling and reducing plastic use in Thailand

General chat about life in the Land Of Smiles. Discuss expat life, relationship issues and all things generally Thailand and Asia related.
oakdale160
Rock Star
Rock Star

Re: Tips for recycling and reducing plastic use in Thailand

Post by oakdale160 »

HHTEL--Itis a fundamental characteristic of Thai people that they do not make any comparisons between themselves and other countries and cultures. This is understandable for poorly educated, never traveled outside Thai people but even Thais who have lived abroad do not judge Thai by what they have seen abroad.
hhinner
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by hhinner »

oakdale160 wrote:HHTEL--Itis a fundamental characteristic of Thai people that they do not make any comparisons between themselves and other countries and cultures. This is understandable for poorly educated, never traveled outside Thai people but even Thais who have lived abroad do not judge Thai by what they have seen abroad.
My wife certainly does.
Chazz14
Professional
Professional

Post by Chazz14 »

When I emigrated from the UK five years ago charging for plastic carrier bags was still "coming soon." It's now happened - but I think it took the best part of ten years to become active legislation. Not really too impressive for a "First World" country!

IMHO Green issues will only be taken seriously when various Governments around the world see them as vote winners and their self-interest kicks in...

As usual, Thailand is not looking seriously at this (or very much else) that is occurring outside it's borders.
StevePIraq
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by StevePIraq »

And Thailand considers plastic waste once in the sea is outside it's borders.
"Live everyday as if it were your last because someday you're going to be right." Muhammad Ali
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Mrs BB was told by the check-out girl at Tesco, Market Village this morning that they will no longer be providing carrier bags from 4 Dec.
Championship Stoke City 3 - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 48; Position 20
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

Great news, BB. Let's hope it becomes the norm elsewhere.
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

I used to shop in many bulk/discount grocery stores in the US. None of them supplied bags, but they did make available the cardboard boxes that the goods they stock came in. There was never a problem finding boxes of the right size for what you had bought as there were hundreds of them on any given day.

It wouldn't be a bad idea here unless the staff or store has already absconded with them to sell for scrap value themselves. Pete :cheers:
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Post by handdrummer »

It wouldn't be a bad idea here unless the staff or store has already absconded with them to sell for scrap value themselves. Pete :cheers:

A higher-up would have to suggest it, it would take months for a decision & would have to be touted as a Thai idea. But, it's a possibility
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

I had a hilarious Thailand moment today.

I've bitten the bullet, and have bought reusable bags in readiness for the 4th Dec cessation of carrier bags in Tesco. We put the bags on the belt first, expecting the checkout girl to pack today's shopping into them. No, TIT - reusable bags and today's shopping was packed into Tesco carrier bags. :banghead:

Points 48; Position 20
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Post by handdrummer »

Why would you expect her to use your bag, it's not the 4th of Dec.? Oh, I know, you expected her to think. Always a big mistake in Thailand. If you would have said, "Please use my bag," she probably would have looked at you as if you were from Mars.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

I expected it because they are being sold as an alternative to the free carrier bags - maybe I presume too much. Or maybe she just thought another mug who has fallen for it. Whatever, at least I still have a sense of humour and saw the funny side.

Points 48; Position 20
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Post by handdrummer »

The funny side is the only side that that keeps you sane.
buksida

Post by buksida »

The question is why the F are they only doing it for one day when the rest of the world is banning them outright.

6147b473545ad8c207edbb5a21141f17.jpeg
6147b473545ad8c207edbb5a21141f17.jpeg (95.47 KiB) Viewed 134 times

Tomorrow (Tuesday, December 4) is Thai Environment Day, and the Natural Resource and Environment Ministry has all shopping malls and shops, including convenience stores, begging you to do without single-use plastic bags, at least for one day.

"One survey found that Thais on average produce 1.14 kilograms of trash per day, totalling 74,000 tonnes across the nation."

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/ ... s/30359754
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Post by handdrummer »

I'll do my part tomorrow, I won't shop.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Tesco are certainly in it for the long haul - they have said it will continue indefinitely, and I'm sure they have paper bags to replace the plastic.

Points 48; Position 20