How can Thailand curb its appalling road fatality rate?

Driving and riding in Hua Hin and Thailand, all topics on cars, pickups, bikes, boats, licenses, roads, and motoring in general.
Gregjam
Ace
Ace

Re: How can Thailand curb its appalling road fatality rate?

Post by Gregjam »

You would be blind not to notice that a larger majority of motorcyclists are wearing masks than helmets. The motorcycling casualty rate is more a reflection on their vulnerability than them being worse than car drivers and more an indication of how safe cars are now.The laws and regulations are there but enforcement is a joke. Cannot see things changing any time soon.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

I had a great view of a motorcycle accident yesterday, which sort of typified Thai motorcyclists.

I was driving East along Soi 94 approaching the crazy crossroads, which has several such accidents each day where El Toro used to be. There was a guy without a helmet riding West when a girl without a helmet appeared riding North, busy talking on her phone (of course, wearing a helmet would have impeded her hearing what was being said on the phone). My wife let out quite a shriek as the girl went straight into the poor guy, send both flying.

Strangely, although there were a few people looking on (I think El Toro is being refurbished ready to open in another guise), the initial reaction of onlookers was to rescue the phone and to make sure there was no damage. Once they were sure the phone was OK, people moved to help the injured parties/move bikes to clear the road. Thankfully, injuries only looked superficial, although the guy had quite a limp and a sore arm. I stayed in my cab with hazards flashing, which stopped cars, but motorcycles just weaved around the wreckage and bodies.

Once sure it was safe to move on, I did so. thinking I'll have to take another look on the dashcam when I get home.

At the end of the day, it was a stupid accident caused through somebody being in another place on their phone. Both parties went flying, but were very fortunate neither landed on their heads. It could have been very different if they had. How many Food Panda or Grab or Lineman riders do we see in that same place using their phones to find their destination?

It is an accident black spot, so what have they done? Installed CCTV so they can watch the action. It is probably one of the most dangerous spots in Hua Hin - both daughter and son have been involved in accidents there. As a minimum, they should at least install lights there, but no, the accidents will just continue, and stats will increase.

Nobody cares. Life is cheap.
Championship Stoke City 3 - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 48; Position 20
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Post by handdrummer »

In the coming years, as the level of education decreases, due to lack of schooling, there will be more accidents due to the inability to think clearly and reason. Because of those two things,
economically, socially, and educationally, Thailand will slide even further down the 3rd. world scale.
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

Big Boy wrote: Sun Jan 30, 2022 8:47 pm I had a great view of a motorcycle accident yesterday, which sort of typified Thai motorcyclists.

I was driving East along Soi 94 approaching the crazy crossroads, which has several such accidents each day where El Toro used to be. There was a guy without a helmet riding West when a girl without a helmet appeared riding North, busy talking on her phone (of course, wearing a helmet would have impeded her hearing what was being said on the phone). My wife let out quite a shriek as the girl went straight into the poor guy, send both flying.

Strangely, although there were a few people looking on (I think El Toro is being refurbished ready to open in another guise), the initial reaction of onlookers was to rescue the phone and to make sure there was no damage. Once they were sure the phone was OK, people moved to help the injured parties/move bikes to clear the road. Thankfully, injuries only looked superficial, although the guy had quite a limp and a sore arm. I stayed in my cab with hazards flashing, which stopped cars, but motorcycles just weaved around the wreckage and bodies.

Once sure it was safe to move on, I did so. thinking I'll have to take another look on the dashcam when I get home.

At the end of the day, it was a stupid accident caused through somebody being in another place on their phone. Both parties went flying, but were very fortunate neither landed on their heads. It could have been very different if they had. How many Food Panda or Grab or Lineman riders do we see in that same place using their phones to find their destination?

It is an accident black spot, so what have they done? Installed CCTV so they can watch the action. It is probably one of the most dangerous spots in Hua Hin - both daughter and son have been involved in accidents there. As a minimum, they should at least install lights there, but no, the accidents will just continue, and stats will increase.

Nobody cares. Life is cheap.
That particular junction currently has no 'right of way'. My thoughts is that Soi 94 being the main soi should be treated as the main road. On the other two sois there should be 'stop' signs as approaching a main road. That alone would help towards relieving that as a 'black spot'. But.. TIT.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Is that correct? I've always assumed it was just a lack of road markings/signs. I always treat the junction as if Soi 94 traffic has the right of way because that is the way the majority of Thais treat it. If you are right, and there is nothing to doubt what you say, then it is no wonder it is suck a black spot.

When my son was involved in a serious accident there, the police officer said Soi 94 had the right of way, but of course, TIT and another police officer could say something completely different.

Points 48; Position 20
buksida

Post by buksida »

On several occasions on motorcycles, I've nearly ridden into cops riding along playing with phones. Young girls are the worst offenders for this though.

For once, I agree with handdrummer, decreasing education levels here will turn Thailand into an African-type nation when it comes to road safety. I'm sure its angling for that number one spot.
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

Big Boy wrote: Mon Jan 31, 2022 7:13 am Is that correct? I've always assumed it was just a lack of road markings/signs. I always treat the junction as if Soi 94 traffic has the right of way because that is the way the majority of Thais treat it. If you are right, and there is nothing to doubt what you say, then it is no wonder it is suck a black spot.

When my son was involved in a serious accident there, the police officer said Soi 94 had the right of way, but of course, TIT and another police officer could say something completely different.
You're right. I got the info from a cop who told me that the CCTV cams were installed because there's no right of way. But as you say, depends who you're talking to.
I have found traffic crossing 94 at that junction expecting everyone to give way. You also see vehicles stop in both directions. No-one really knows. But what I said is so simple and you'd think being a 'black spot' it would be done.
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

I’m not very familiar with the area but from what you guys are saying, it’s crying out for someone to install something to make it clear who has right of way - traffic lights or a roundabout (is that physically possible?), but if not a minimum of signage indicating right of way - I’m sure though, that nothing will happen until somebody is k*****

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

A little off topic but this report that shows you can have a lifetime of driving without any of the requirements needed by law:
A man pulled over by police told officers he had been driving without a licence or insurance for more than 70 years.

Nottinghamshire’s Bulwell, Rise Park and Highbury Vale Police said the Mini One driver, who was born in 1938, claimed he had been driving since the age of 12.

The man was stopped near a Tesco Extra in Bulwell, Nottinghamshire, on Wednesday evening.

Thankfully he had never had an accident, caused anyone an injury, and never made anyone lose out financially, by hitting them whilst uninsured

Bulwell, Rise Park and Highbury Vale Police
In a post on Facebook police said: “We can’t quite believe what happened … as the driver, who was born in 1938, coughed that he had been driving with no licence and no insurance, since he was 12 (yes TWELVE) years old … and somehow had managed to never be stopped by the police.
https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/newslond ... li=BBoPWjQ
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

Dannie Boy wrote: Mon Jan 31, 2022 8:35 am I’m not very familiar with the area but from what you guys are saying, it’s crying out for someone to install something to make it clear who has right of way - traffic lights or a roundabout (is that physically possible?), but if not a minimum of signage indicating right of way - I’m sure though, that nothing will happen until somebody is k*****

The "right of way" in Thailand is: ME FIRST
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

Nereus wrote: Mon Jan 31, 2022 10:49 am
Dannie Boy wrote: Mon Jan 31, 2022 8:35 am I’m not very familiar with the area but from what you guys are saying, it’s crying out for someone to install something to make it clear who has right of way - traffic lights or a roundabout (is that physically possible?), but if not a minimum of signage indicating right of way - I’m sure though, that nothing will happen until somebody is k*****

The "right of way" in Thailand is: ME FIRST
I appreciate that, especially at roundabouts, but Traffic Lights do at least impose a modicum of rules
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

buksida wrote: Mon Jan 31, 2022 7:50 am On several occasions on motorcycles, I've nearly ridden into cops riding along playing with phones. Young girls are the worst offenders for this though.
Not since the event of Food Panda, Grab, LineMan, etc.

Points 48; Position 20
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

My son parked my truck on a police officer's chest at that junction - thankfully, he somehow survived. That is probably as bad as it gets.

Unfortunately, TIT and signage means very little.

An example is seen every day when I visit the lake at Khao Tao. Road markings and road signage are as good as anywhere in Thailand. Yet most days traffic in and out of the village is totally confused. The times I've stopped at the Stop sign, yet other traffic with right of way just stops until I go first (they obviously know who I am :D). Once all 4 roads are stopped because I'm doing the right thing, it then becomes a game of chicken - who will dare to go first? The only other traffic that should stop is traffic exiting the temple.

An absolute nightmare, but if everybody stops, not much danger of injury.

Another example is the Stop sign along Station road at the Soi 88 Crossing. I am the first to admit I had never seen the sign until HHTel told me it was there (it is set back a little :oops:). However, I always give way to traffic on Soi 88 there now. Of course, any motorcyclists behind me will not stop, so me obeying the traffic sign creates a significant collision danger. Having said that, that entire junction is a joke these days, but Thais have created their own understanding, with every road bollard now being a mini-roundabout :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

Points 48; Position 20
buksida

Post by buksida »

No matter what colour they paint them, the mentality doesn't change.

Motorists still not stopping at zebra crossings
Nearly 90% of vehicles do not stop at crosswalks in Bangkok despite the presence of pedestrians, says a Thai Health Promotion Foundation (ThaiHealth) study.

A study was carried out by ThaiHealth and the ThaiRoads Foundation from Jan 25-27 at 12 spots across the capital following a fatal road accident that killed a woman doctor on a pedestrian crossing last month.

Rungarun Limlahaphan, director of ThaiHealth's Social Risk Factor Control, said on Saturday that a total of 14,353 vehicles -- 7,619 personal cars, 6,449 motorcycles and 285 public vehicles -- were monitored in the study, and 89% failed to stop for pedestrians crossing the road. Motorcyclists were the worst offenders (92%), followed by cars (86%) and public vehicles (80%).

Some 94% of vehicles failed to stop at crossings around Bhumirajanagarindra Kidney Institute Hospital where ophthalmologist Dr Waraluck Supawatjariyakul was hit, despite intense media coverage of the tragedy, Ms Rungarun said.

https://www.bangkokpost.com/thailand/ge ... -crossings
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
KhunLA
Guru
Guru

Post by KhunLA »

TBH, can say I'd stop at said crossing (kidney hosp), matter fact, probably would not, unless 2 lanes were already stopped. Sorry a$$ place to have a crossing, 6 lane divided highway, with traffic cruising from 60-90 to whatever speed.

If saw someone making an effort to cross, AND ALREADY 1 lane in, then yea, IF it thought I wasn't going to get a$$ ended by the one tailgating me.

I leave crossing the street, in the sole responsibility of the person crossing, self included. Never, here or USA, expect moving traffic to stop for me to cross the street. That's just silly, whether it's the law or not, which I didn't even know it was / is. People tailgated me, traffic on both side, with scooters in between. I'm not exactly looking for someone standing curbside to be dumb enough to step out in traffic. And most wouldn't consider it, especially here.

Nothing against the doc (R I P) that got killed, but think looking better around that van, and making sure it was clear would had been a good idea. Hindsight sucks. And yea, PoPo should have known better and been paying attention If that is how it was, described in news-blips. That shouldn't even be a crossing there, which again, reading news-blips, they are thinking about removing it. Damn good idea.

Now at intersections, that's a whole different story. Again, pedestrians responsibility not to get themselves run over, but yea, people in / on vehicles should be prepared to yield when someone is about to cross. Way too obvious, people will be, and it's an intersection, which I slow down for no matter, as want to make sure nobody, vehicles crossing, is running their 'stop' sign / signal, if I'm not required to. I don't blindly go across any intersection, much to the dismay of folks behind me. Also avoids me getting a$$ ended again, if it turns yellow, they need to pass me if than plan on hurrying through, because I'm not, unless necessary. Too many people, youngins on scooter, jump the green here.