Hua Hin dual-track rail project to go ahead

Local Hua Hin and regional Thailand news articles and discussion.
caller
Hero
Hero

Re: Hua Hin dual-track rail project to go ahead

Post by caller »

Three things puzzling me.

1. Soi2. Never gets a mention. Last time I drove down there, after leaving Makro, I couldn't see any evidence of an overpass being prepared. Does that mean the railway line will be fenced off and the road split in two?

2. Soi106. Again, never gets a mention and looking at the video and having been to look, the railway is too low for traffic to pass under. After the works started, if heading from Petch Road, you turned right before crossing the railway line, but will that be feasible in future? If not, is it another road to be split in two?

3. The two turnings to Takiab from the Petch Road South of Nong Kae Station. Neither crossing shows any evidence, or even the room, to build an overpass. So what will happen to these crossings in future?

In general, I can't help but think that if the railway line had been raised before soi6 and after the turnings to Takiab, it would have been a lot cheaper and far less disruptive than all the mess currently being experienced - and they can still build their new road.
Talk is cheap
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

These crossings will remain as crossings. The barriers have already been re-sited. You mention a couple of minor crossings, but what about Sois 70, 88, 94 and 102?

It doesn't matter where the track was raised, the intention was always to also extend the existing ground level track to 2 lines for freight traffic and special excursions.
Championship Stoke City 3 - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 48; Position 20
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

Big Boy wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 11:45 pm Thanks for the clarification. I've looked at the drone footage for that area, and yes, it could be incomplete track, it could be preparations for the new dual carriageway, or it could be both. IMHO if it's incomplete track, it wouldn't take them long to open it. However, I think access to and from the raised track are key to the opening, and they are almost there with that. The lower track has at least what is there now, and trains have been running for many months with the surroundings looking like a bomb site.
At some of those crossings, the second track was laid some time ago and was then just covered over with soil to make a temporary traffic crossing.
I think that is the case at 56/58 or whatever it is, it's where I go to buy cooking gas.
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

Big Boy wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 10:49 pm Will the non-completion of flyovers prevent anything opening except the flyovers?

Traffic is currently running over the twin tracks, barriers have re-positioned and are in place. What difference will the flyovers make compared to what we have now?

I have a bigger fear for the entire project. From Soi 56 going South to the existing flyover at the end of town, they are cutting a huge North/South gash through the centre of the city. As well as the new dual track railway, they are building a brand new dual carriageway directly alongside the Eastern side of the track.

So we now have the equivalent of a 6 lane highway (4 for cars and 2 for trains) running through the middle of the city, plus a drainage canal alongside the Western side of the track. In the future I see this creating Hua Hin East and Hua Hin West. I do not see any logical way that road traffic is going to pass from East to West safely. It won't be possible yo go above the gash, because they've built a bloody great raised railway.

Just think, it's already chaos at the hideous junctions at Sois 70 and 88. Imagine what it will be like when there's a fully functional dual carriageway there as well. Coming from Tops travelling East, you will have to cross a dual carriageway and twin railway tracks.

Or has somebody seen a cunning plan?
Well in that case, what was the point in spending billions of Baht building all the other flyovers - they might as well have left them as they were?
craighuahin
Rookie
Rookie

Post by craighuahin »

Thanks for the local insights and the You Tube link (had no idea it had monthly drone updates!). Progress looks good, though I expected the Hua Hin raised station to have been a lot further along by now. I last visited in April 22. If anyone does discover information confirming the faster train service is close to materialising then please do post again :)
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

You are correct Dannie Boy - especially the first in the area to open at Suan Son. Why?

They've also built a stack of new stations. I don't know anybody who uses them. In fact I looked at the timetable a couple of years ago, and noticed the train a friend was arriving on stopped at Nong Kae Railway station. I told them to get off the train there as it would be easier (we were starting their visit by going to a restaurant in Khao Takiab). The train stopped. The driver swapped keys, or whatever it is they do, but nobody was allowed to alight. I had to dash down to Hua Hin to collect my friends.

Points 48; Position 20
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

Coming from Tops travelling East, you will have to cross a dual carriageway and twin railway tracks.
Really? Ending up in the ocean is more likely than encountering any trains!
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Nereus wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 10:01 am
Coming from Tops travelling East, you will have to cross a dual carriageway and twin railway tracks.
Really? Ending up in the ocean is more likely than encountering any trains!
HaHa, you'd get there eventually :oops: Corrected :D

Points 48; Position 20
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

My perception of these 'flyovers'. Crossings will remain the same where the track is elevated. It would only require those crossings to cater for goods trains at ground level which are much less frequent and slower. Further afield I guess these 'flyovers' have been built with consideration of the amount of traffic in those particular soi's. Therefore a little used soi will have no changes.

Just my take on it. Time will tell.
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

Heading towards Cha Am and a km or 2 before you get to Thai Watsadu there’s a fairly major road on the left (1001) that heads to the main highway leading to Prachuab Kiri khan one way and Bangkok the other. They started building a flyover (up and over rather than the u shaped) before Covid struck, but it’s still nowhere near finished and looks almost abandoned. No idea what they plan for this crossing?
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

Big Boy wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 12:55 am These crossings will remain as crossings. The barriers have already been re-sited. You mention a couple of minor crossings, but what about Sois 70, 88, 94 and 102?

It doesn't matter where the track was raised, the intention was always to also extend the existing ground level track to 2 lines for freight traffic and special excursions.
I didn't mention those sois as they are already extensively discussed. The point about raising the track was to avoid the amount of costly and disruptive overpasses having to be built because the track hasn't been raised.

I mean soi6 isn't the busiest of roads, so why was an overpass needed there?
Talk is cheap
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

I'm still of the belief there is no logical solution to the Hua Hin East and Hua Hin West problem. Even if there is a solution, it must be several years away. The only solution I can think of is a series of traffic lights, which as well as controlling traffic, will have to be coordinated to the rail system. The biggest problem will still be the roads from Petchkasem, crossing the new dual carriageway trying to get to West Hua Hin.

I'm not sure if the dual carriageway will go as far as Soi 106, but if it does it will just compound the problem. Does anybody know where this dual carriageway to nowhere will actually end at the Southern end?

Points 48; Position 20
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

Big Boy wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 8:13 pm I'm still of the belief there is no logical solution to the Hua Hin East and Hua Hin West problem. Even if there is a solution, it must be several years away. The only solution I can think of is a series of traffic lights, which as well as controlling traffic, will have to be coordinated to the rail system. The biggest problem will still be the roads from Petchkasem, crossing the new dual carriageway trying to get to West Hua Hin.

I'm not sure if the dual carriageway will go as far as Soi 106, but if it does it will just compound the problem. Does anybody know where this dual carriageway to nowhere will actually end at the Southern end?
You can't beat traffic congestion, they discovered this about 50 years ago in cities way bigger than Hua Hin, if you improve the roads, more people just move out the city and start comuting in and you're back to square one.
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Post by handdrummer »

STEVE G wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 8:28 pm
Big Boy wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 8:13 pm I'm still of the belief there is no logical solution to the Hua Hin East and Hua Hin West problem. Even if there is a solution, it must be several years away. The only solution I can think of is a series of traffic lights, which as well as controlling traffic, will have to be coordinated to the rail system. The biggest problem will still be the roads from Petchkasem, crossing the new dual carriageway trying to get to West Hua Hin.

You can't beat traffic congestion, they discovered this about 50 years ago in cities way bigger than Hua Hin, if you improve the roads, more people just move out the city and start comuting in and you're back to square one.
And the problems will be compounded by erecting a police booth and having the police control the traffic instead of having timed lights.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

:lach:

Points 48; Position 20