Engineering and Technology Thread

Discussion on science, nature and technology across the globe.
pharvey

Re: Engineering and Technology Thread

Post by pharvey »

Well, not exacty engineering as such, but can't really start a new thread for it....

Lab-grown Chicken Safe to Eat, Say US Regulators

"A meat product grown in a lab has been cleared for human consumption for the first time.

The US safety agency, the Food and Drug Administration (FDA), has given approval for cell-cultured chicken, after doing a "careful evaluation".

It has been made in steel tanks by the firm Upside Foods, using cells harvested from live animals.

It will be able to be sold to consumers after an inspection by the US Department of Agriculture.

The FDA said it used data and information provided by the company to reach its decision, and had "no further questions at this time".

The firm's founder and chief executive Uma Valeti said: "We started Upside amid a world full of sceptics, and today, we've made history again as the first company to receive a 'No Questions Letter' from the FDA for cultivated meat.""

Full Atricle @ https://www.bbc.com/news/technology-63660488
"Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things" - Yma o Hyd.
hhinner
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by hhinner »

^^ And... What about eggs?
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

hhinner wrote: Sun Nov 20, 2022 11:45 pm ^^ And... What about eggs?
But which came first?
hhinner
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by hhinner »

pharvey wrote:
hhinner wrote: Sun Nov 20, 2022 11:45 pm ^^ And... What about eggs?
But which came first?
Will eggs come at all?
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

Not sure if this is the best area to post this article - whilst the article itself is fascinating, I must admit that I don’t ever recall reading about this feature - Ziggurat of Ur, when in terms of engineering feat, it ranks very much up there with the Pyramids of Egypt!!
https://www.bbc.com/travel/article/2022 ... e-pyramids
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

Dannie Boy wrote: Sat Dec 31, 2022 5:35 pm Not sure if this is the best area to post this article - whilst the article itself is fascinating, I must admit that I don’t ever recall reading about this feature - Ziggurat of Ur, when in terms of engineering feat, it ranks very much up there with the Pyramids of Egypt!!
https://www.bbc.com/travel/article/2022 ... e-pyramids
Have not come across this before, very interesting (and impressive) - thanks for posting DB. :thumb:
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

Well, could be put in "Documentaries" ... But here's the best IMHO.

Incredible engineering - but of course there's many more sub-stories with art, decoration, guests (including the low IQ Blonde that is the "Social Network" these days - how in God's earth?).

Anywho, fascinating for us engineers in my book - Nereus will enjoy the engineering, but perhaps not much more!! :D :wink:

"The Mayfair Hotel Megabuild" - BBC iPlayer. https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m001gqnm Must also be available through/on the usual suspects.

"Filmed at Claridge's over six years, this series follows work to dig out a five-storey mega-basement, add four new floors and create London’s most exclusive penthouse."

:cheers: :cheers:
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

Anywho, fascinating for us engineers in my book - Nereus will enjoy the engineering, but perhaps not much more!!
I some times regret not having been an architect, rather than chasing angry electrons. I will have to keep an eye out for this one. I marvel at old buildings, and how they were built without modern technology. :cheers:
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

Nereus wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 10:17 am I marvel at old buildings, and how they were built without modern technology. :cheers:
Well modern technology was certainly here for this one, but indeed fascinating. The installation of support columns, how they actually "balanced" an existing (and huge) building and more! They actually kept the hotel open during the "build", so noise levels had to be kept to a minimum - a great deal of work was manual with hand tools......

[EDIT] Getting ready for the episode where they pour the concrete/cement to produce the support columns - will they explain any issues with the expected exothermic reaction?

:cheers: :cheers:
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Post by dtaai-maai »

pharvey wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 10:51 pm ...will they explain any issues with the expected exothermic reaction?
I haven't had one of those in quite some time, sadly.
This is the way
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

dtaai-maai wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 11:34 pm
pharvey wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 10:51 pm ...will they explain any issues with the expected exothermic reaction?
I haven't had one of those in quite some time, sadly.
I doubt I will after the new TV arrives.... :(
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

Interesting read (Full Article @https://www.livescience.com/laser-contr ... SmartBrief) - I do wonder though, could this be used as a source of power or on the "darker side", a weapon?

Powerful Laser Blast Used to Control Lightning For The First Time

"For the first time ever, scientists have used lasers to redirect lightning toward a safe target.

The experiment, which took place atop Säntis mountain on the northern edge of the Swiss Alps, is the first real-world demonstration that intense bursts of light can be used to fish for lightning from storms, and redirect it to a safe location.

Scientists have previously used lasers to bend the path of electricity in the lab(opens in new tab), but achieving this outside is challenging. After hauling their laser to Säntis' summit at an altitude of 8,200 feet (2,500 meters), the researchers fixed it to a 407-foot-tall (124 m) transmission tower there and pointed it at the sky. Then, by firing the infrared laser at passing storm clouds in short blasts of roughly 1,000 times per second, they corralled a path for lightning to hit the tower four times in six hours. The researchers published their findings Jan 16. in the journal Nature Photonics(opens in new tab)."
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

Well, the first link is specific to the US "Tech Sector", but job losses will be (are being) felt worldwide. Job losses are extreme, but relevant to "over hiring/expansion" during the pandemic in many cases. Though that is not going to give any comfort to those who have lost their jobs.

Amazon set to cut upto 18,000, Google set to cut 12,000, META (Facebook) set to cut 11,000, Spotify 6% of their workforce, Microsoft upto 10,000, Twitter have already axed +/- 4,000 and likely more to follow. Company valuations - Tesla, Apple.... Well, I could go on. The BIG question is, what effect is this going to have on other sectors & finance in general? Many companies/employees suffered during the pandemic but are now recovering - the "Tech Sector" now seems to be nosediving now that countries/sectors are opening up.... Will it continue? (And no, I'm not trying to be the Grimm Reaper"!!

Relevant links/sites: -

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/ ... ech-sector
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-64374583
https://layoffs.fyi/
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Post by handdrummer »

Those job loses will impact every sector of society. Small businesses will be hit hardest by the lack of cash inflow and, in turn, those businesses will lay off employees. The economy doesn't look promising.
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

handdrummer wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 6:53 pm Those job loses will impact every sector of society. Small businesses will be hit hardest by the lack of cash inflow and, in turn, those businesses will lay off employees. The economy doesn't look promising.
That's the worrying thing!!