Engineering and Technology Thread

Discussion on science, nature and technology across the globe.
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Re: Engineering and Technology Thread

Post by Nereus »

It may be a better idea to satisfy the local demand before thinking about exporting:
…………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………..
Australia plans to export solar power to Singapore via undersea cable

https://www.bangkokpost.com/world/19239 ... rsea-cable

Survey work will soon begin on an ambitious plan to export power from a giant solar farm in Australia to Singapore via a 3,800 kilometre undersea cable.

The Sun Cable project, which is backed by Atlassian co-founder Mike Cannon-Brookes and Fortescue Metals’ founder Andrew Forrest, has awarded a contract to Perth-based Guardian Geomatics to conduct a route survey for the high voltage direct current cable.

Cannon-Brookes has championed the “lighthouse” project as a demonstration of how Australia can harness its natural advantages in clean energy and wean off its reliance on coal and gas export revenues.

“This initial survey is a major step toward an exciting, multibillion-dollar project, described as exporting ‘sunshine’ to Asia,” Guardian Geomatics said in a media release. Sun Cable says the project can supply a fifth of Singapore’s power needs, helping to reduce the city-state’s reliance on natural gas imports. It also has plans to link to Indonesia.

Funds connected to Cannon-Brookes and Forrest co-led a capital raising for the project last November. The total capital cost is seen in the region of A$20 billion ($13.1 billion), with commercial operations targeted to start in 2027.

The company is also working to install a 50-megawatt big battery near Darwin in Australia’s Northern Territory. The facility would initially provide back up services to the local power grid, but will ultimately form part of a larger storage system to support the Australia-Asean Power Link project. Construction is slated to commence in 2021, with commissioning targeted for 2022.
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

Polish Facial Recognition App

All sounds a little worrying: -

"A Polish website called PimEyes uses facial recognition to search the internet for pictures of a person based on a single image.

That photo can be taken from a news site, social media, or an uploaded selfie, and the computer algorithm then shows matches on the web.

The free part of service shows photos it believes to be the same person, and rates the 'match' out of five stars.

It provides a generic name of the site where the picture is found (i.e. dailymail.co.uk), but does not provide a link or detailed information on the image's context.

For that added insight, it offers a premium service for £9.79 a day where customers can see exactly where the photo comes from.

This fee also allows users to set up alerts, which notify them when an image matching the one they have uploaded is added to the internet.

That means if a person inputs a picture of a stranger to the site and sets up an alert for their face, the system will let the customer know when it finds this stranger in a picture posted to Twitter, for example.

An online security expert slammed the technology and said it poses a 'very serious privacy implications' for users."

That said, it couldn't find anything like me - I must be "incognito"! :wink:

You can try it here: - https://pimeyes.com/en/

:cheers: :cheers:
"Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things" - Yma o Hyd.
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

A hitman's dream.... :shock:
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Post by dtaai-maai »

pharvey wrote: Thu Jun 11, 2020 5:13 pm That said, it couldn't find anything like me - I must be "incognito"! :wink:
Same here. I put in an ID photo taken when I was 50-ish and even more handsome (though perhaps less distinguished :naughty:) than I am now, and the results were, frankly, offensive... :shock: :laugh: :laugh:
This is the way
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

It's one way of getting down to Tesco's.....

Seriously though, looks an incredible piece of kit.

The Jet Suit Paramedic

"A collaboration between Gravity Industries, which has developed and patented a 1050 brake horsepower Jet Suit, and the Great North Air Ambulance Service (GNAAS), has resulted in a test flight in the heart of the Lakes.

The test at the Langdale Pikes saw Gravity Industries founder and Chief Test Pilot Richard Browning fly from the valley bottom to a simulated casualty site on The Band, near Bowfell. The simulated casualty site would take around 25 minutes to reach by foot. The Gravity Jet Suit is able to cover that distance in 90 seconds, opening a range of possibilities in the emergency response arena.

The ground-breaking exercise was the culmination of a year of discussion between GNAAS and Gravity Industries.

Andy Mawson, director of operations and paramedic at GNAAS, identified the Lakes as a possible location for a Jet Suit paramedic after hearing of Mr. Browning’s work and then studying the charity’s own call-out data.

He said: “It showed dozens of patients every month within the complex but relatively small geographical footprint of the Lakes.

“We could see the need. What we didn’t know for sure is how this would work in practice. Well we’ve seen it now and it is, quite honestly, awesome.”"

Full Article @ https://www.greatnorthairambulance.co.u ... paramedic/
Lost
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Lost »

This bridge opened last September apparently. Quite something!

Screenshot_20210329_161524.jpg
Screenshot_20210329_161524.jpg (363.18 KiB) Viewed 1963 times

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.news.c ... 27c20210d3
I don't trust children. They're here to replace us.
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Post by dtaai-maai »

Check out this jet suit being tested by the Royal marines. There are a couple of links to other vids of previous tests.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-56979994

Gravity Industries looks like one to watch!

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkHr2Z ... mQNDp4QXLw
This is the way
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

I’m sure it will have its uses, but not for entering into a hostile environment - the soldier would literally be a sitting duck.
Topspin
Banned
Banned

Post by Topspin »

dtaai-maai wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 11:26 pm Check out this jet suit being tested by the Royal marines. There are a couple of links to other vids of previous tests.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-56979994

Gravity Industries looks like one to watch!

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkHr2Z ... mQNDp4QXLw
The latest season of Top Gear they had a race with a jetpack man. :cheers:
To all conspiracy theorists...“when you hear hoofbeats, think of horses, not zebras.” :naughty:
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Post by dtaai-maai »

Dannie Boy wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 5:32 am I’m sure it will have its uses, but not for entering into a hostile environment - the soldier would literally be a sitting duck.
Tosh! :laugh:

jetpack.jpg
jetpack.jpg (6 KiB) Viewed 1878 times
This is the way
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

dtaai-maai wrote:
Dannie Boy wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 5:32 am I’m sure it will have its uses, but not for entering into a hostile environment - the soldier would literally be a sitting duck.
Tosh! :laugh:

jetpack.jpg
That’s 2071!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Lost
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Lost »

Navy fires explosives at the USS Gerald R. Ford to test its ability to take a hit. Quite a big-bada-boom! :D

I don't trust children. They're here to replace us.
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

And at what cost to marine life I wonder......
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

From 'drone taxis' to flying cars. BMW has tested a prototype of it's 'aircar'. On landing turns back into a car in minutes.
1,000 kms range with a speed of 170 kph and a height of 8,200 feet.

Impressive

https://www.bbc.com/news/technology-57651843
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Post by dtaai-maai »

^^ Very impressive, but I can't see it taking off...
This is the way