The i-things - Apple devices and software thread

Technology, computers, internet, websites, mobiles, cameras, audio and video.
SPONSORS: Hua Hin Web Design
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Re: The i-things - Apple devices and software thread

Post by Dannie Boy »

J.J.B. wrote:You could try the ‘reset network’ option that is in the same place as resetting the whole thing. You won’t lose any data but all your network settings will be erased. Could be worth a try, I’ve done it a few times on errant i-devices when they get too clever for their own good and stop connecting.
JJB, sorry for being an ignoramus, but when you say I will lose all of my network settings, what does this entail- what will I have to reset? TIA

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
J.J.B.
Guru
Guru

Post by J.J.B. »

Dannie Boy wrote: Sun Mar 22, 2020 6:52 pmwhen you say I will lose all of my network settings, what does this entail- what will I have to reset? TIA
All you will lose is the record of network settings that the iPad has stored. So long as you have the network name and password for your WiFi networks you use, you should be fine. You will not lose any other data or settings from the iPad.
"A man who does not think for himself, does not think at all."
Wilde
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

J.J.B. wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 2:46 am
Dannie Boy wrote: Sun Mar 22, 2020 6:52 pmwhen you say I will lose all of my network settings, what does this entail- what will I have to reset? TIA
All you will lose is the record of network settings that the iPad has stored. So long as you have the network name and password for your WiFi networks you use, you should be fine. You will not lose any other data or settings from the iPad.
Ok I will give it a try and report back later (hopefully) :thumb:
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

....and, what happened Dannie. Did it work and now everything works correctly? :cheers:
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

PeteC wrote:....and, what happened Dannie. Did it work and now everything works correctly? :cheers:
I chickened out and haven’t done it yet. The thing that’s worrying me is my network connections - when it doesn’t connect automatically and I enter what I thought is the password, it says “incorrect password “ so my fear is that if I delete the network settings I might not be able to use it at all?

PeteC

Post by PeteC »

I don't know your situation but with TOT and my set up, they wrote the network password on to a label and affixed it to the side of the router case. Always there if needed. Unless you've changed it, it should be the same as when your ISP hooked things up.
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

PeteC wrote:I don't know your situation but with TOT and my set up, they wrote the network password on to a label and affixed it to the side of the router case. Always there if needed. Unless you've changed it, it should be the same as when your ISP hooked things up.
I am with TOT and you’re correct there is a number on the router case so I’m going to try and manually connect using that number and if it works I’ll do as suggested previously

Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

Dannie Boy wrote:
PeteC wrote:I don't know your situation but with TOT and my set up, they wrote the network password on to a label and affixed it to the side of the router case. Always there if needed. Unless you've changed it, it should be the same as when your ISP hooked things up.
I am with TOT and you’re correct there is a number on the router case so I’m going to try and manually connect using that number and if it works I’ll do as suggested previously

Unfortunately it didn’t work and still comes up with the “incorrect password” message!!

PeteC

Post by PeteC »

At this juncture perhaps a call to TOT is in order. :cheers:
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

PeteC wrote:At this juncture perhaps a call to TOT is in order. :cheers:
Yes maybe a good idea because the internet itself is lousy lately so maybe they can try to improve that?

PeteC

Post by PeteC »

However there is a way for you to go into the TOT control panel yourself if you want:

1) Type 192.168.0.1 into your address bar and enter. That is mine but I think it is standard for TOT everywhere here. My router is TP Link.

2) You'll see a screen asking for user name and password. Try ADMIN and password TOT (caps not necessary)

3)You'll see a screen with many options. Click "Wireless" and on there you'll see your Network Name (SSID) and passwords.

That password has to work.

Look around in there as many other interesting things to look at, but be cautious about changing anything. :D
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

Pete, I know you’re trying to help and it’s really appreciated but I’m an IT nerd and would be more concerned at making things worse rather than better, so I’ll stick with your previous advice and ask my wife to call TOT -assuming they’re still doing call outs?
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

iPhone SE: A powerful new smartphone in a popular design

https://www.apple.com/newsroom/2020/04/ ... ar-design/
Jack_Batty
Professional
Professional

Post by Jack_Batty »

PeteC wrote: Thu Apr 16, 2020 12:24 pm iPhone SE: A powerful new smartphone in a popular design

https://www.apple.com/newsroom/2020/04/ ... ar-design/
I still have the 6s that I bought over four years ago. It’s a 128gb and still have loads of space. I’ve kept it in an Otterbox since day one and it looks almost new. This SE looks really intriguing though, and I’m possibly ready to wean myself from wired earbuds. I wouldn’t mind a camera/video upgrade either. Especially since I just figured out how to work the iMovie editor.
Geko
Professional
Professional

Post by Geko »

MacBook Pro Battery

Anyone know a place in Hua Hin were I can get a MacBook Pro battery changed?