The i-things - Apple devices and software thread

Technology, computers, internet, websites, mobiles, cameras, audio and video.
SPONSORS: Hua Hin Web Design
Jack_Batty
Professional
Professional

Re: The i-things - Apple devices and software thread

Post by Jack_Batty »

I’ve had my iPhone 6s for five years now and I’m just about ready for a replacement. My phone is still supported by the latest updates, but it’s on the edge and probably won’t be able to update to iOS 15 or 16. This series 12 release might be just in time. It’s not always about having to have the latest and greatest. Apple makes a quality product that is durable. I have an iPad Air that is six years old and a MacBook Air that is seven years old, and they both still work perfectly.
Gregjam
Ace
Ace

Post by Gregjam »

Used the link in the Hua Hin Covid thread to a map showing the location of the hotspots on my iPhone 11 and initially it worked. Now it calls up the map but no hotspots marked. Rebooted the phone and first time I use the link it looks like it is adding the shaded areas but then reverts to just the normal map. Any ideas? Phone has the latest IOS update.
huahin4ever
Ace
Ace

Replace iPad PRO battery.

Post by huahin4ever »

Does anyone know if there are any shops in Hua Hin which can replace a battery for an iPad PRO? It is an "old" iPad so this is we ear and tear of the battery. The iPad is about 6-8 years old. It is the first PRO version.

Preferably I would like to have it done here locally and not send it to BKK, but the later is probably what's required.

Maybe it isn't economically to do also if it is very expensive?

YNWA

YNWA
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Re: Replace iPad PRO battery.

Post by Dannie Boy »

huahin4ever wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 9:28 am Does anyone know if there are any shops in Hua Hin which can replace a battery for an iPad PRO? It is an "old" iPad so this is we ear and tear of the battery. The iPad is about 6-8 years old. It is the first PRO version.

Preferably I would like to have it done here locally and not send it to BKK, but the later is probably what's required.

Maybe it isn't economically to do also if it is very expensive?

YNWA
There’s an authorized Apple repair shop on the top floor of Market Village - heading from the Tesco end towards the front, it’s a few shops past Banana Electronics. Many of the stalls on that floor will also offer to change batteries, but based on my experience, choose very carefully as many of the batteries are clearly not good quality.
Geko
Professional
Professional

MacBook Pro Battery Replacment

Post by Geko »

Anyone know is there anywhere in HH where i can get a MacBook Pro laptop battery replaced
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Re: MacBook Pro Battery Replacment

Post by Dannie Boy »

Geko wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 7:14 am Anyone know is there anywhere in HH where i can get a MacBook Pro laptop battery replaced
I don’t know about a MacBook Pro, but there’s an official Apple service shop on the third floor of MV where they offer replacement batteries for iPhones and iPads, so worth a try?
buksida

Post by buksida »

Apple rushes to block 'zero-click' iPhone spyware
Apple has issued a software patch to block so-called "zero-click" spyware that could infect iPhones and iPads.

Independent researchers identified the flaw, which lets hackers access devices through the iMessage service even if users do not click on a link or file.

The problem affects all of the technology giant's operating systems, the researchers said.

Apple said it issued the security update in response to a "maliciously crafted" PDF file.

University of Toronto's Citizen Lab, which first highlighted the issue, had previously found evidence of zero-click spyware, but "this is the first one where the exploit has been captured so we can find out how it works," said researcher Bill Marczak.

The researchers said that the previously unknown vulnerability affected all major Apple devices, including iPhones, Macs and Apple Watches.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/technolo ... ar-AAOpvsX
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
KhunLA
Guru
Guru

Post by KhunLA »

Apple says it's not recommended to attach iPhones to motorcycles with high-power or high-volume engines. For mopeds and scooters, you may want to buy a vibration-dampening mount to lessen the risk of damage — or simply just use another GPS device to make sure you don't ruin a device that costs hundreds to over a thousand dollars.
https://www.engadget.com/apple-motorcyc ... 01715.html
buksida

Post by buksida »

A pal here has given me his iPod Classic 160GB because he wants me to try and get the music off of it (I know nothing of these things but it looks like quite a modern one).

I knew this wouldn't be an easy task without installing that insidious iTunes software, but didn't even get that far. It won't charge. I left it charging for 24 hours and it just says "Charging. Please wait" with an alert symbol - you cant even turn it on when plugged in.

Is it bin material, another iBrick, or can anything be done to revive it? The battery is built-in so that can't be replaced (if that is the problem) and probably wouldn't be worth the expense just for the music.
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
buksida

Post by buksida »

No iPod owners on the forum then?

A bit of research led me to a possible bad cable and Apple being Apple means you can't use another cable, it has to be that specific one. Fortunately, I managed to borrow one and the problem remains so it is a deadPod - destined for Apple's growing e-waste mountain. Shame as there was some good music on there.
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

buksida wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 7:38 am No iPod owners on the forum then?

A bit of research led me to a possible bad cable and Apple being Apple means you can't use another cable, it has to be that specific one. Fortunately, I managed to borrow one and the problem remains so it is a deadPod - destined for Apple's growing e-waste mountain. Shame as there was some good music on there.
I had an original iPod from about 2010 that probably suffered a similar fate as you have explained some years ago - all attempts to get the music to play or download failed, so it was (literally) put in the bin!!
Gregjam
Ace
Ace

Post by Gregjam »

I recently took the plunge and after many years of using iphones finally bought a macbook air. As a microsoft user both at work and at home I knew it would mean changes and checked out a few youtube videos to get some help and an idea of what I am facing. So far, partly due to a poor internet connection and sporadic phone signal (all part of working on a ship) I have not found it so easy but am being patient and making progress. Today while I have an reasonable internet over the phone in Malaysia I installed NordVPN as the macbook does not have Rosetta or will work with it (New macbook air purchased in Malaysia). I have ExpressVPN but this would not work on the macbook due to the Rosetta issue and discovered that NordVPN will work natively with BigSur OS. Installing the app was easy but setting up the account payment was a nightmare with the usual two factor authentication and request for this and that password. I eventually went online and got a much better two year deal via the US site and paid using my credit card (with associated two factor authentication etc). I have also loaded spotify as I don't like apple music due to earlier issues where poor internet meant I had to reload the files I had earlier downloaded because I could not log on (company blocks access to apple sites). I download music as streaming is not possible and spotify is much better when it comes to operating offline and logging in.
My point for this post is that while the Apple OS is better than microsoft in many ways it is not easy to just change over and setting things up is just as confusing. Both are becoming more and more dependent on having a good connection and a phone signal. As we are becoming more and more cyber security aware it is becoming more and more time consuming setting anything up that works particularly in a less connected area. I am not going to give up and can see that Apple has definite advantages but it will be a while before I can let go of my microsoft gadgets. Anyone thinking of changing sides needs to carefully think about what they are going to gain or lose. Only time will tell if it was worth the effort. At least I feel the computer will not need to be changed for a while yet.
Hahuahin
Guru
Guru

Post by Hahuahin »

Jack_Batty wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 1:09 pm I’ve had my iPhone 6s for five years now and I’m just about ready for a replacement. My phone is still supported by the latest updates, but it’s on the edge and probably won’t be able to update to iOS 15 or 16. This series 12 release might be just in time. It’s not always about having to have the latest and greatest. Apple makes a quality product that is durable. I have an iPad Air that is six years old and a MacBook Air that is seven years old, and they both still work perfectly.
Allow me to ask when I come over your post because I just got an Iphone 6 from a friend who left Thailand a few days ago. He said he bought it early 2015 here (Bangkok) and said the iOS was 12.5.5 and that no further updates was possible. Well I have less than little knowledge about iOS's or phones in general but is it safe to use a phone as this for simple calling, take some pictures now and then and recieve bank notifications when withdraw money or buy something online and then recieving an OTP?
Thank you
hahuahin
Jack_Batty
Professional
Professional

Post by Jack_Batty »

As far as they photos and calls, absolutely! I thought that the 6s took great photos. As far as the security for bank transactions, I want to say that you should have no problem, but since the phone won’t take iOS updates with the latest security features…I’m not 100% sure. I would guess as long as you are on a secure network that you should be ok. I’m sure there is someone on here that has more knowledge about that than me.
joashchee
Rookie
Rookie

Post by joashchee »

I would add that for the security aspect, it is also dependent on the Apps and their updates. Quite a number of app developers may have made it so that their most recent app versions (which should be the most secure to date) only runs on more modern iOS versions.

Thus, being stuck at iOS version 12.5.5 would limit your ability to update 3rd party apps to their latest and most secure versions due to their requirement of a higher iOS version.

Hope that helps!

BTW, something of a disclosure here... I am a former Apple employee that went through quite a unique training experience to be selected as part of the core team that opened the first Apple Store in Singapore. :) I'd be more than glad to offer what bit of Apple Service and Support experience to all Apple product users in Hua Hin when I get there... if in-person service experience is what you might desire.