Clean Hua Hin's beaches movement - Trash Hero

Hua Hin general discussion, observations and chat. Hua Hin topics that don't really fit anywhere else.
Papaya
Guru
Guru

Re: Clean Hua Hin's beaches movement - Trash Hero

Post by Papaya »

The current Covid situation means group collections have been suspended for now. However, there's nothing stopping anybody taking a sack with them and collecting rubbish as they walk the beach.
Papaya
Guru
Guru

Post by Papaya »

The current Covid threat has receded, so the Beach Heroes are back in action this week.

This coming Sunday, 7th Feb they will be meeting at the Pattaya Ferry Terminal at 4pm. Everybody is welcome. Please bring gloves, wear mask and keep your distance.
Papaya
Guru
Guru

Post by Papaya »

17 Beach Heroes, including 2 children cleared 70 Kg of Rubbish from the South Takiab Beach and Gerry Port areas yesterday.
1.jpg
1.jpg (33.98 KiB) Viewed 1335 times
2.jpg
2.jpg (46.85 KiB) Viewed 1335 times
3.jpg
3.jpg (46.94 KiB) Viewed 1335 times
4.jpg
4.jpg (40.85 KiB) Viewed 1335 times
Papaya
Guru
Guru

Post by Papaya »

At 4pm on Sunday 14th February the Beach Heroes will be cleaning in the area of Hua Hin Fishing Pier (end of Soi 55). Everybody is welcome.

Please bring your own gloves, and wear a mask.
Papaya
Guru
Guru

Post by Papaya »

Yesterday 19 Beach Heroes cleared 150 Kg of rubbish from the area around Hua Hin Fishing Pier.
1.jpg
1.jpg (37.65 KiB) Viewed 1215 times
2.jpg
2.jpg (51.76 KiB) Viewed 1215 times
3.jpg
3.jpg (75.03 KiB) Viewed 1215 times
4.jpg
4.jpg (108.58 KiB) Viewed 1215 times
Papaya
Guru
Guru

Post by Papaya »

At 4pm on Sunday 21st February the Beach Heroes will be cleaning in the area of Hua Hin Fishing Pier (end of Soi 55). Everybody is welcome.

Please bring your own gloves, and wear a mask.
Papaya
Guru
Guru

Post by Papaya »

14 Beach Heroes including 2 children cleared 120Kg of rubbish from the area around Hua Hin Fishing pier yesterday afternoon.
1.jpg
1.jpg (70.51 KiB) Viewed 1084 times
2.jpg
2.jpg (123.08 KiB) Viewed 1084 times
3.jpg
3.jpg (127.04 KiB) Viewed 1084 times
4.jpg
4.jpg (39.51 KiB) Viewed 1084 times
5.jpg
5.jpg (72.17 KiB) Viewed 1084 times
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

I follow this thread every week, and have participated in a few cleans when I could.

Hua Hin Fishing Pier is at the heart of Hua Hin's sea front, and attracts a lot of visitors. How can it be that a small group of untrained people can clear 270 Kg of rubbish from this premier tourist hotspot in just 2 hours?

Just a few weeks ago Wado-Karate reported that he filled a black bag with rubbish in less than 5 minutes cleaning a small area of beach to make a short video at another premier tourist hotspot beneath the Chinese Temples viewtopic.php?f=4&t=21316&start=337 . When he wrote his post, he said he could easily have filled another 12 bags.

Hua Hin's seafront is a rubbish tip.

I also walk Khao Tao Lake most days. Yes, you see some rubbish, but the Khao Tao attitude is so different. People are regularly sweeping the roads, people net waste from the lake very regularly, I even see people polishing the 3Km perimeter fence (an operation that takes a week in itself).

You are probably wondering where this is going...................

At the moment, it is local election time. I see the candidates wandering the streets doing very little. They are employing gas guzzling, smoke belching trucks to create rolling chicanes/travel hazards everywhere. OK, I'm not involved in any way in their policies, but wouldn't it be nice if they could put some effort into physically doing something about caring for the community/environment they want to represent for the next few years. Take those annoying trucks off the roads for a day each week, and let the public know they are employing them to clean the tourist spots. Rather than wandering the streets in their colour coordinated shirts and jackets, spend a day a week walking along the beaches, picking rubbish. Lead by example, and take advantage of the photo opportunities. Surely that would give these guys a much higher profile than annoying residents with these stupid rolling chicanes. Just show that they care about Hua Hin, rather than the power they might gain. Finally, promise a clean up team similar to that employed at Khao Tao to keep Hua Hin clean if they get in power.

Coincidentally, my wife was approached by somebody from Hua Hin Tessebahn a few weeks ago looking at ways they could improve Khao Tao. They need to look in their own back yard first.
Championship Stoke City 3 - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 48; Position 20
buksida

Post by buksida »

Sadly the problem isn't limited to just Hua Hin. As you know we also ran a local Trash Hero chapter but ended up stopping in 2019 due to lack of interest/support. Today the local beaches are just awash with trash, and there are no bins or collections for the area so most of it gets fly-tipped.

Thailand is not a very environmentally aware place, and these movements tend to come from the people as the govt/councils clearly have other priorities.
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Post by handdrummer »

I have to laugh when I hear Thais talking about how much they love their country then, litter it with trash.
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

Big Boy wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 8:24 am I
Coincidentally, my wife was approached by somebody from Hua Hin Tessebahn a few weeks ago looking at ways they could improve Khao Tao. They need to look in their own back yard first.
BB, did your wife relay your sentiments to the Tessebahn people?
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

No, she told them that Khao Tao was the jewel in their crown already i.e. better cared for than the rest of the area. So whilst not relaying my sentiments exactly, if they'd read between the lines, they'd have realised she was saying Hua Hin is a tip. Don't forget, Thais don't like confrontation.

What she should have told them was Khao Tao could use better wheelchair access because I have to carry her wheelchair on 4 occasions to do a lap of the lake, but that is a different thread :D

Points 48; Position 20
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

LOL - I've just seen the current mayor's re-election video, Coincidentally, he's chosen squeaky clean Khao Tao for much of the video.

Points 48; Position 20
Papaya
Guru
Guru

Post by Papaya »

This coming Sunday 28 February, the Beach Heroes will be meeting near the Pattaya Ferry Terminal on South Takiab Beach at 4pm.

All Heroes, both old and new will be welcomed. No experience necessary. Please bring your own gloves and wear mask.

https://goo.gl/maps/5X2NPfRYEsa2fdH3A
Papaya
Guru
Guru

Post by Papaya »

7 Beach Heroes including 1 child cleared 50Kg of rubbish from the area around the Pattaya Ferry Terminal yesterday.
1.jpg
1.jpg (67.41 KiB) Viewed 844 times
3.jpg
3.jpg (72.38 KiB) Viewed 844 times
4.jpg
4.jpg (87.36 KiB) Viewed 844 times
2.jpg
2.jpg (65.71 KiB) Viewed 844 times