Laptop Body Parts Wanted?

Technology, computers, internet, websites, mobiles, cameras, audio and video.
SPONSORS: Hua Hin Web Design
GLCQuantum
Rock Star
Rock Star

Laptop Body Parts Wanted?

Post by GLCQuantum »

I now have three broken laptops collecting dust in my room, a very old compaq, a 4 year old compaq and a three year old toshiba. I can't be arsed to take them to a shop to see if they are fixable as they are dated now anyway (the latter two are i3, the first... God knows). I'm lazy, I just buy a new one.

When I'm next in Hua Hin, are there any parts of the laptop that could be of use to anyone? If anyone's interested I'll bring them down at Christmas and you can have them. I know some guys like dissecting the things and retrieving parts that are still usable.

It feels wrong just throwing all three in the bin next to an empty can of beans...

:cheers:
usual suspect
Ace
Ace

Re: Laptop Body Parts Wanted?

Post by usual suspect »

Upstairs in the shopping mall is a shop with 2 or 3 young thai lads repairing lappies each day...behind them on a sturdy shelf are 10's, 20's 30's of laptops which they salvage parts from...my new on/off rubber button was 120B fitted..maybe this shop could be what you need..??
buksida

Post by buksida »

The battery packs are usually made of six rechargeable 18650 Lithium Ion batteries which can be used for other devices such as high power LED torches when the pack is dismantled. Saves binning perfectly good batteries, when laptop batteries go it is usually only one of these cells that is defective, the other five work fine.
bat.jpg
bat.jpg (122.08 KiB) Viewed 2180 times
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
GLCQuantum
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by GLCQuantum »

Interesting that Buksida, but I'm really not going to make much use out of the stuff (pictured below). I also have an old printer/scanner and a ps2. Think the printers ok, just need ink. The ps2 works fine, I just don't use it and (I kid you not) I haven't been able to give it away free. It's a good door stop for me atm. There's one more laptop not pictured.

Could anyone make use of this 'junk'? :)

:cheers:
Attachments
image.jpg
Ginjaninja
Ace
Ace

Post by Ginjaninja »

Throw them in the skip mate.
GLCQuantum
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by GLCQuantum »

Ginjaninja wrote:Throw them in the skip mate.
Will do if no takers. :wink:

Technology really is crap. Over the last 5 years (only) that pile of junk cost me over 50 thousand baht. Now it's worthless...

:?
cozza
Professional
Professional

Post by cozza »

What games you got with the PS2, maybe suitable for my kids?
GLCQuantum
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by GLCQuantum »

cozza wrote:What games you got with the PS2, maybe suitable for my kids?
Six discs of various 'The Sims'. (Not my cuppa tea... the ex bought 'em)
GTA San Andreas and 4
Bully
Tekken 5
Crash bandicoot kart
Ratatouille
Dogs life

... probably a few others lying around too.
Homer
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Homer »

Ginjaninja wrote:Throw them in the skip mate.
Laptop batteries don't make good landfill. Anybody in town do battery disposal?
KhunLA
Guru
Guru

Post by KhunLA »

Homer wrote: Thu Nov 27, 2014 8:00 am Laptop batteries don't make good landfill. Anybody in town do battery disposal?
Bumped up, and hopefully someone can point me in the right direction. Have a bunch of lipos needing disposal of. Any suggestion appreciated, or I may just pop them myself and let them burn up. Don't want to risk trashing them, and having a worker exposed to an unexpected flare up.

Yes, I've 'burned' / punctured them before, so know how hot & dangerous they can burn. I'd rather just dispose of properly.
huahinjim
Professional
Professional

Post by huahinjim »

KhunLA wrote: Fri May 28, 2021 11:09 am
Homer wrote: Thu Nov 27, 2014 8:00 am Laptop batteries don't make good landfill. Anybody in town do battery disposal?
Bumped up, and hopefully someone can point me in the right direction. Have a bunch of lipos needing disposal of. Any suggestion appreciated, or I may just pop them myself and let them burn up. Don't want to risk trashing them, and having a worker exposed to an unexpected flare up.

Yes, I've 'burned' / punctured them before, so know how hot & dangerous they can burn. I'd rather just dispose of properly.
I read somewhere recently (don’t ask for the source as I have forgotten) that AIS will take old phones etc and you can give to your local postman to pass to AIS. What AIS do with them I don’t know but presumably some money to be made from the recycling .
Worth a try and if you have any luck let us know. Cheers
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

I got quite excited seeing Homer's name. Then I realised it was from 7 years ago.
Anyone know if he's still around?
He's missed!
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Championship Stoke City 3 - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 48; Position 20
hhinner
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by hhinner »

huahinjim wrote:
KhunLA wrote: Fri May 28, 2021 11:09 am

I read somewhere recently (don’t ask for the source as I have forgotten) that AIS will take old phones etc and you can give to your local postman to pass to AIS. What AIS do with them I don’t know but presumably some money to be made from the recycling .
Worth a try and if you have any luck let us know. Cheers
Bluport car park ground floor outside food court entrance has a cabinet for battery disposal.
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

Thanks, BB. Not a thread I would be seen on. Glad he's still around though.

:offtopic: