Flights to/from Thailand status, news, and updates

Sub-forum for discussion on air travel, airports, and airlines.
Big Boy

Scoot Launches Gatwick to Bangkok at £170

Post by Big Boy »

Budget airline launches new low-cost flights to Thailand – from £170 one way

Low-cost airline Scoot has announced they will launch flights from Gatwick to Bangkok next month - and they start from just £170 each way.

The new flights will start from December 16, with two flights a week during the whole month, and resuming with three flights a week from March.

The airline is a low-cost subsidiary of Singapore Airlines, but passengers will have a "no-frills" experience rather than a more luxury one often attributed to the airline.

The flights will be on the Boeing 797 Dreamliners with economy and Scootplus cabins.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/travel/1674166 ... and-scoot/
Championship Stoke City 3 - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 48; Position 20
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Re: Scoot Launches Gatwick to Bangkok at £170

Post by Dannie Boy »

Big Boy wrote:Budget airline launches new low-cost flights to Thailand – from £170 one way

Low-cost airline Scoot has announced they will launch flights from Gatwick to Bangkok next month - and they start from just £170 each way.

The new flights will start from December 16, with two flights a week during the whole month, and resuming with three flights a week from March.

The airline is a low-cost subsidiary of Singapore Airlines, but passengers will have a "no-frills" experience rather than a more luxury one often attributed to the airline.

The flights will be on the Boeing 797 Dreamliners with economy and Scootplus cabins.

I reckon this will prove to be quite popular and looks like it will undercut the other direct flight airlines (BA, Thai & Eva) even allowing for extras, especially their premium offerings. The only downside is the rather late arrival time into Gatwick at 20.05 - hopefully a bit of completion might make the others sharpen their pencils a little bit!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
thecolonel
Legend
Legend

Post by thecolonel »

Big Boy wrote:Budget airline launches new low-cost flights to Thailand – from £170 one way

Original article contradicts itself

First one way, then return(price)

In any event, despite the fact I love a bargain, these prices frighten the life out of me

Not that I'm an expert on aviation economics but how many corners are being cut to make this price work?

Pilots are on 150k, cabin crew salaries going down admittedly but fuel is expensive as I'm sure aircraft leasing is. Covid regulations surely add to admin costs. Plus the slots at LGW

Truly, I wouldn't feel safe at £170 return

And will the airline go bang leaving you stranded??

And btw, in the past whenever I've enquired re one way ticket they've been more expensive than returns!?!?

Sent from my M2007J20CT using Tapatalk

buksida

Post by buksida »

My thoughts too - its likely to cost similar to a regular flight once they've stung you for baggage, seat allocation, and meals/refreshments onboard - none of which will be included at those prices.
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

It's not that cheap. I've flown at that price or less many times in the past. I've always survived. The pilot isn't going to leave the ground if he thinks it's unsafe.

Points 48; Position 20
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

The £170 price is each way so presumably £340 for a return ticket, although that gives you only 10 kg of carry on luggage - not sure what the additional cost is for more, so the savings won’t be so much if you want 20 kg or more, but no doubt still cheaper than Thai or BA. As they’re a subsidiary of Singapore Airlines I can’t see them cutting any corners on safety. I’ll certainly check their schedule and prices next time I want to fly to the UK.

sessions
Novice
Novice

Post by sessions »

Would not worry about the flight crew as they will have to be fully qualified as any major airline. A very close friend of mine is a Captain for a low cost airline but is paid similar salary for our biggest airline.
thecolonel
Legend
Legend

Post by thecolonel »

Big Boy wrote:It's not that cheap. I've flown at that price or less many times in the past. I've always survived. The pilot isn't going to leave the ground if he thinks it's unsafe.
6000 miles and back for £340 or less many times?? I'm sure most would agree that that's particularly cheap. It's about the cheapest price I've ever seen in twenty years of coming here(see below)

On the pilot point.... Pilots have left the ground hundreds of times with planes that have ultimately had safety issues/mechanical failure. Not saying they all crashed but they discovered issues that had they known before they would not have taken off.

There's clearly a limit as to what he can check. Additionally for these budget operators Pilots may be stretched to the legal limits hence mistakes happen.

Plus of course some did crash with fatalities, a fair number of which(not all) were budget airlines. But you survived so we'll ignore the approx 500 people(and their bereaved families) a year who die in plane crashes. I'm sure they can take great comfort in your asinine remark that "the pilot wouldn't take off if he thought it was unsafe".

But I agree with the other comments that the headline price is designed to hook people in, and there will be many add ons.

Sent from my M2007J20CT using Tapatalk

Groodman

Post by Groodman »

Cheapest I hve seen for flying direct, no stop in the Middle East or Europe
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

I guess it's like everything, being in the right place at the right time (and being a tight git). I always planned such ventures well ahead, so was always looking for a bargain. The following are all return prices:

2 years running I had BA for £329

I also had Romanian Air at that same price - definitely not recommended.

I flew Thomson Holidays for £319, which included 2 weeks in a 4* Pattaya hotel plus transfers.

I had 2 Kuwait Airlines flights at around the Scoot Airlines price.

1 Finair flight at £359 (included BA to and from Helsinki).

I think I paid (not sure) £360 for Jet Airlines.

The only one I wouldn't do again was Romanian.

Yes, there's only so much a pilot can check, but you have to remember all of these planes these same routes every day, and have been for years. Planes falling out of the sky is extremely rare, and not restricted to budget airlines. My flight was flying in behind the ill-fated Lauda Air flight many years ago - that's probably the closest I've come.

Points 48; Position 20
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

As with most things in life, you pays your money and makes your choice - those not wanting to risk it will fly with one of the other operators, those who are relaxed will give them a try.

Groodman

Post by Groodman »

Scoot on search Engines is showing £293 Return for travel 19/5/2022 12/6/2022
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Is that before or after airport taxes? I seem to remember that was always the big catch?

Points 48; Position 20
lindosfan1
Deceased
Deceased

Post by lindosfan1 »

Just done a quick scoot through the prices. ( pardon the pun)
Scoot £170 plus baggage £213 flexi booking 240 that is one way. Normal return fares on other airlines start about £450 so not much saving on a return.
Wizz air. £183 indirect flight did not check the extras.
Ryan air £184 indirect flight. Probably normal Ryan air extras, for hand luggage, hold luggage, a seat, insurance and taxes. lol.
These cheap fares when you look at the extras are not much different to normal fares after all the extras, and probably minimal service.
I may be cynical, but I have never found a regular cheap flight.
Woke up this morning breathing that's a good start to the day.
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

lindosfan1 wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 11:31 pm Just done a quick scoot through the prices. ( pardon the pun)
Scoot £170 plus baggage £213 flexi booking 240 that is one way. Normal return fares on other airlines start about £450 so not much saving on a return.
Wizz air. £183 indirect flight did not check the extras.
Ryan air £184 indirect flight. Probably normal Ryan air extras, for hand luggage, hold luggage, a seat, insurance and taxes. lol.
These cheap fares when you look at the extras are not much different to normal fares after all the extras, and probably minimal service.
I may be cynical, but I have never found a regular cheap flight.
Can't say I've looked through as you have lindos, but "cheap" fares and flights always have additional costs, which most would expect to be included.

With extensive travel through work (pre-Covid), we used "Budget Airlines" regularly within Europe for short trips. They weren't comfortable and in flight drink/food prices extortionate (actually seem to remember someone being charged to use the toilet in the early days!!). But what the hell - short flight.

If however, us "Site Guys" were on an extended trip and travelling with excess luggage (i.e. tools/workwear), the price was excessive.

I would certainly not want to take a cheap as chips long haul flight and quite honestly don't believe the fare that is being reported. Take a couple going for a holiday for 2 weeks - with the LHG it's 2 x 23KG luggage (for us) plus her bag/food etc. etc... I would take my backpack/laptop etc. which as per the so-called "Budget Airlines" in the UK would be charged. "Fixed Seating"? Again, no doubt an additional charge - when travelling alone, no problem - but with family could be an issue (especially with kids).

Associated with Thai Air is also a concern quite frankly.....Sounds like a great deal, but personally I'd be very wary.

IMHO still going to be somewhat expensive to fly into Thailand for a holiday for the foreseeable future.. :cry:

:cheers: :cheers:
"Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things" - Yma o Hyd.