Thailand tourism situation

Local Hua Hin and regional Thailand news articles and discussion.
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Re: Thailand tourism situation

Post by Dannie Boy »

It may not be the only reason but there’s little doubt in my mind that the very high airfares to Thailand are putting a lot of international travellers off.
pitsch
Guru
Guru

Post by pitsch »

I arrived in Suvarnabhumi at 5pm yesterday and it looked as empty as it did in Covid times. Upon immigration, I could simply go to one of the many free counters. The 6:30pm bus to Hua Hin was only occupied by 4 passengers. Seems to be very low season now.
buksida

Post by buksida »

Yep, it is starting to feel like those lockdown days again! Thailand will never be the same IMO, maybe we need to change the thread title back to 'tourist slump'. :duck:
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

I think the tourists who return after previous visits will say “it’s not like it used to be” and those coming for the first time “it’s not as good as I was expecting” - in both cases, possibly their last visit?
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

I think excessive air fares will be off-putting for many 'last minute visitors.

I think we've seen the last of this year's visitors at Baan Big Boy, and in non-Covid times we have a trickle every month (I'm sure the odd one will still arrive this year). However, we have already had 16 book further in advance for flights next year. Booking early is realising prices very similar to pre-Covid prices, and seems to be the way forward. Early booking is also realising some unbelievable hotel bargains. People will usually find a way.
Championship Stoke City 3 - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 48; Position 20
huahin4ever
Ace
Ace

Post by huahin4ever »

Expensive tickets and shit exchange rates for many countries is also a good reason many do not travel.

YNWA

YNWA
buksida

Post by buksida »

Dannie Boy wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 5:32 pm I think the tourists who return after previous visits will say “it’s not like it used to be” and those coming for the first time “it’s not as good as I was expecting” - in both cases, possibly their last visit?
That is the crux of it and the reactions I've had from most I've spoken to over the "high season". Those that knew Thailand five years ago have said "WTF happened!" I can count more that came regularly and no longer bother than those that still do.

TAT will still claim its all hunky dory though.
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Whilst I feel cost/global inflation are the main factors, I must agree, reading reports on here about the night scene, you guys don't paint a very pretty picture.........
NB: My days of regularly frequenting bars are long over, so I only know what I read.

- Bar Girls replaced by old hags
- Being regularly pestered for drinks
- Being classed as a Cheap Charlie if I don't splash the cash on products I don't want to buy. Having read the Swiss thread, why would any sane person be plying a fat old hag with drinks? In my day, you drank yourself silly until the hags looked a bit more acceptable. New normal, I guess.
- Loud music everywhere, denying the art of conversation
- Overpriced drinks
- Allegations of being charged for drinks not purchased

On the plus side:

Many bars have evolved into more than just a lean to with a fridge.

Basically, anybody who has never been, and reads this forum is going to give Thailand a very wide berth. Fortunately, reader numbers are down these days.

:run:

Points 48; Position 20
buksida

Post by buksida »

Big Boy wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 9:38 am Basically, anybody who has never been, and reads this forum is going to give Thailand a very wide berth. Fortunately, reader numbers are down these days.
If they're barflies (which not all tourists are), they'll probably give Hua Hin a wide berth. If you're into that thing, the nightlife scene is much better in Pattaya, Phuket, Samui, etc. (but your list may well apply there too!)
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

I can't disagree, but back in the day, there used to be some very tasty young girls working in Hua Hin's bars. That seems to be a thing of the past these days.

However, the list could continue with dirty beaches, filthy streets, plastic everywhere, etc. The night scene was the first thing that came to mind that I regularly read about.

Points 48; Position 20
Gregjam
Ace
Ace

Post by Gregjam »

Was on Chiang Mai over the weekend and it looked quiet which was confirmed by my son who works as a grab driver there. Back in Hua Hin it is obvious that it the low season has arrived just by looking how quiet Starbucks and Market Village is. There do seem to be more Chinese tourists who are not known to be big spenders but not a substantial amount (which is not a bad thing).
buksida

Post by buksida »

TAT forecasts tourism revenue of B3tn in 2024
The Tourism Authority of Thailand (TAT) remains confident the industry can garner revenue of 3 trillion baht next year, matching the level of 2019.

https://www.bangkokpost.com/business/25 ... tn-in-2024

With fewer than half the tourists coming, the only way they'll hit their revenue target is by doubling prices!

:lach:
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

buksida wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 11:27 am doubling prices!
Yet, as I've mentioned already, our 'early booking' 2024 visitors have been offered incredible room rates, especially as they will be here January/February. Room rates are about half of what was being charged in the same hotel in 2019. The rates are so good, they are actually encouraging more to book.

Points 48; Position 20
buksida

Post by buksida »

They must be looking somewhere totally different to me then, all I can see here are prices increasing, including hotels! For example, a place we used to stay in Chumphon for 900 baht a night is now over 2,000! And flights go up every time you look at them!

I'm guessing the only way you can get a reasonable deal is by buying a package from your own country a year in advance.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Short notice, I agree 100%. I cancelled my latest venture around Thailand because hotel prices went stupid. I decided to wait for low season, but medical restrictions are preventing me from looking at the moment.

Points 48; Position 20