Billy No Mates

This is the free for all area, live and unleashed, say what you like!
Jaime
Legend
Legend

Billy No Mates

Post by Jaime »

Just been out, on my tod , for a few beers and then a curry (don't ask!) here in the Metropolis of Caerphilly County Borough.

One thing that struck me was that apart from a brief entertaining interlude with a group of recently qualified drinkers who were debating whether to go for a Smirnoff Ice or a Taboo & Coke (Poofs - I finally persuaded one to down a neat gin, which was fun as he almost died on the spot), nobody talks to you if you are on your own in a pub. Having lived on the other side of Offa's Dyke for a number of years, I can confirm that this no-talking-to-lone-strangers-in-pubs rule seems to permeate much of these Isles.

It suddenly dawned on me that I really wished I was in a bar in Hua Hin, where it seems it is possible to strike up a jolly conversation with, well, just anyone!

There, I said it - no cynical sub-text for once - just a pat on the back for the bars of Hua Hin and their happy customers! I must go to bed on that good feeling now - maybe tomorrow I will wake up in hua Hin and the last six months will have been just a dream.......
JW
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by JW »

Jaime,

Havent heard someone say "billy no mates " for ages, had a nice wee laugh at that!

I agree big style with what you say, you can chat to pretty much anyone here in Hua Hin and have a good laugh.
Guess
Deceased
Deceased

Re: Billy No Mates

Post by Guess »

Jaime wrote:Just been out, on my tod , for a few beers and then a curry (don't ask!) here in the Metropolis of Caerphilly County Borough.

Taboo & Coke....... Having lived on the other side of Offa's Dyke for a number of years......

....maybe tomorrow I will wake up in hua Hin and the last six months will have been just a dream.......
This has to generate a question and some suppositions.

I guess that this was only a dream and you will wake up soon. You get cheese in Caerphilly. Curry comes from India. I had a dream a few nights ago that I was in Tehran surrounded by scantily clad women and eating a bacon sandwich and drinking vodka. When I went to pay the bill an Ayatollah step up and said that is was all on the house so long as I took the girls home with me.

What the F*** is Taboo. I have only crossed Offa's Dyke in the last fifteen years at an altitude of 30,000 feet and have no idea of what new brews have been developed in that Celtic stronghold. I presume the Coke was a brown liquid that is used in the United States for cleaning blood off the road after motor car accidents rather than the white powder that is snorted by lunatics and turns them into thieving, violent lunatics.
[color=blue][size=134]Care in the community success story.[/size][/color]
Jaime
Legend
Legend

Post by Jaime »

Taboo is apparently "a fruit-flavored spirit made in the UK from vodka, white wine and exotic fruit juices" but [deep voice] it looks too gay for me to try so I am not sure!
PeteB
Professional
Professional

Billy No-mates

Post by PeteB »

To try to keep on topic, if Billy No-mates were really 'in the pink' he may try mixing his own Taboo Liqueur.

Should Guess want to try it:

Thin peel from 1 orange (orange part only)
Thin peel from 1 lemon (yellow part only)
1 cup freshly squeezed grapefruit juice (about 2 grapefruits)
1 cup freshly squeezed orange juice (2 to 3 oranges)
1/4 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice (1 lemon)
2 1/4 cups granulated sugar
1 (4-inch) piece vanilla bean, split
1 cup brandy
1 cup vodka

Hmmmm........

:wink:

Peter
Jaime
Legend
Legend

Post by Jaime »

Good advice - mixing yer own means that one can remain in the closet! Apparently 1 in 3 men is a latent Taboo drinker! :D
Guess
Deceased
Deceased

Post by Guess »

Sounds like a right poofters drink to me.

I wonder how many men sit at home wishing they had ther guts to come out of the closet , walk into a bar in Stepney and say "could I please have Taboo cocktail".

I reckon it could be as high as one in three.
lomuamart

Post by lomuamart »

Bring back Del Boy!!
Although it's a big generalisation, I always found that the further north you went in the UK, the more friendly the pubs would be. As a stranger, I'd certainly get blanked in Sussex. Certain parts of London weren't much better - always have a newspaper to read, 'cause you're not going to get much in conversation from the locals.
However, I spent a year in Newcastle and had countless trips to Scotland on business or holiday and always found that someone was talking to me within 5-10 mins if I was on my own. Friendly-like as well, rather than making it obvious that my presence wasn't required in that establishment.
:cheers:
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

lomuamart wrote:Bring back Del Boy!!
Although it's a big generalisation, I always found that the further north you went in the UK, the more friendly the pubs would be. As a stranger, I'd certainly get blanked in Sussex. Certain parts of London weren't much better - always have a newspaper to read, 'cause you're not going to get much in conversation from the locals.
However, I spent a year in Newcastle and had countless trips to Scotland on business or holiday and always found that someone was talking to me within 5-10 mins if I was on my own. Friendly-like as well, rather than making it obvious that my presence wasn't required in that establishment.
:cheers:
In Newcastle? You can't be from London then...? An old mate of mine who moved south, a geordie, was even shunned when he went home, for, er, moving south?

I recall being spat at by a lady in Newcastle, but I was with Chelsea fans at the time.
Talk is cheap
lomuamart

Post by lomuamart »

Not a Geordie - originally a yellow belly, although in London for 19 years.
Thinking about it, you could be correct about Newcastle. I knew of someone who was thrown through a shop window by locals because of his southern accent.
Apparantly that didn't really count as it was Saturday night after a few beers.
Norseman
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Norseman »

lomuamart wrote:Not a Geordie -
Try the Geordie quiz here: http://www.geordie.org.uk/quiz/quiztest ... rdiequiz01

(I got 5 correct answers).
I intend to live forever - so far so good.
Guess
Deceased
Deceased

Post by Guess »

Norseman wrote:
lomuamart wrote:Not a Geordie -
Try the Geordie quiz here: http://www.geordie.org.uk/quiz/quiztest ... rdiequiz01

(I got 5 correct answers).
How many did you know and how many lucky guesses were there? Just pressing any button should get you an average score of 3.75
Guess
Deceased
Deceased

Post by Guess »

lomuamart wrote:Not a Geordie - originally a yellow belly
That explains a great deal.
lomuamart

Post by lomuamart »

Guess wrote:
lomuamart wrote:Not a Geordie - originally a yellow belly
That explains a great deal.
Do you know what it means though?
Norseman
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Norseman »

I guess you come from the same area that housed the No 617 Dam Buster Squadron and many other Lancaster airfields.
Starts with L and end with e?
Correct or wrong lomu?
I intend to live forever - so far so good.