Chipped plates at restaurants?

Restaurants, food, beverage, hawkers, and local markets and suppliers. This is the place for discussion on Hua Hin's culinary options.

Are some restaurants too rough for your liking?

Yes, when I eat out, I expect a high standard of presentation
10%
I'm not that fussy, but chipped crockery sends the wrong message to me
24%
If the plates are clean and the food's good, I don't care
52%
I'll trough anywhere that's tasty and cheap
14%

Total votes: 21

uncle tom
Ace
Ace

Chipped plates at restaurants?

Post by uncle tom »

Most of the cheaper eateries in Thailand possess a grand assortment of crockery, and are not usually too bothered if it's chipped..

- Does that bother you?
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly...
Khundon1975
Rock Star
Rock Star

Re: Chipped plates?

Post by Khundon1975 »

uncle tom wrote:Most of the cheaper eateries in Thailand possess a grand assortment of crockery, and are not usually too bothered if it's chipped..

- Does that bother you?
Many Ming Dynasty plates are chipped and they sell for thousands, so no, it doesn't bother me.

:duck:
I've lost my mind and I am making no effort to find it.
johnnyk
Legend
Legend

Post by johnnyk »

Why should it bother me? I don't pretend to be a hi-so paying 150 baht for pad thai. A chipped plate might bother me in an over-priced falang-friendly place.
Happiness can't buy money
Siani
Legend
Legend

Post by Siani »

Yuck! Chipped crockery...horrible! All those germs lurking in the cracks :cry:
I would probably eat anywhere, within reason, but not off anything chipped.
Slightly different with Ming...they don't eat from it these days :mrgreen:
cracks.jpg
cracks.jpg (70.17 KiB) Viewed 1538 times
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

- Does that bother you?
To be honest, I've never noticed. I'm back working in Luxembourg at the moment and where I live here in the city there are several Michelin starred restaurants and what they charge for a meal bothers me a whole lot more than the odd chipped plate in Thailand.
hhfarang
Hero
Hero

Re: Chipped plates at restaurants?

Post by hhfarang »

Yuck! Chipped crockery...horrible! All those germs lurking in the cracks
^ Correct. I never concerned myself with chipped or cracked plates as we even have several of those in our own kitchen. But, oddly enough, I just read a health news article yesterday (sorry, just searched and tried to find it to post the url but couldn't locate) that said eating off of cracked or chipped plates was dangerous for the very reason mentioned by Siani. Viruses and bacteria live in those cracks and chips. When a plate is manufactured it is glazed with a coating that seals it against these organisms. Chips or cracks open the glaze to let them thrive within the dishes themselves and infect the food eaten from them. Washing, unless in a very high temperature washing machine, will not remove or kill these imbedded microbes. Add to that the generally less sanitary conditions in a country like this as most dishes are simply washed or rinsed in cold unfiltered tap water and you may find the reason for your monthly case of the runs... :shock: ...or more serious health problems.

Also, I have read articles that said a lot of crockery, especially from China and other Asian countries still contains a fair amount of lead, which can leach into the food from cracked dishes and mugs, especially if they are used in a Microwave oven. Before you search and disagree, I've also read opinions against that, but it seems to still be an open issue, so why take the chance?
My brain is like an Internet browser; 12 tabs are open and 5 of them are not responding, there's a GIF playing in an endless loop,... and where is that annoying music coming from?
barrys
Legend
Legend

Post by barrys »

Don't most of the cheaper restaurants here use plastic or melamine ware, anyway?
hhfarang
Hero
Hero

Post by hhfarang »

^ If they do and use a microwave to heat or reheat, that also is supposedly dangerous (from recent articles I've read). Plastic ware, even melamine leaches carcinogenic materials from the dishes into the food when used in a microwave. That article stated that the safest option was microwave safe glassware like Corningware (not with cracks or chips of course :D )
My brain is like an Internet browser; 12 tabs are open and 5 of them are not responding, there's a GIF playing in an endless loop,... and where is that annoying music coming from?
richard
Deceased
Deceased

Post by richard »

I survived after 1 year in Isaan eating off banana leaves and all sorts of utensils. The whole issue of food cleanliness etc is a pain in the butt IMO. My father lived until 99 eating salted meats (no fridges in those days) cold left overs on cracked plates etc

We are becoming wimps with no resistance to inbound germs
RICHARD OF LOXLEY

It’s none of my business what people say and think of me. I am what I am and do what I do. I expect nothing and accept everything. It makes life so much easier.
Takiap
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Takiap »

I chose option number four since I agree with Richard on this one. I have been in this country since !997 and apart from one case of food poisoning at an expensive restaurant in Bangkok, I've never encountered any problems. There are times when I might get the runs, but they are so far and few between that I can't even remember when the last time was.

When I sit down at some place on the side of the road, I see flies; I see people using one cloth for everything; I see dishes being washed in water that is quite filthy and so on, so I can't exactly pretend to be concerned about a cracked or chipped plate. And, we haven't even considered all the dust in the air, along with tons of exhaust fumes.

Like Richard has suggested, I think your body builds up a great deal of immunity if you give it a chance to. I'm of the same opinion when it comes to colds and flu, and it seems to have worked extremely well for me.

Saying all that; if I went to a proper restaurant where I was going to be paying a decent amount of money for my meal, then I wouldn't want a cracked or chipped plate simply because more upmarket places should take care to make sure it doesn't happen.

:cheers:
Don't try to impress me with your manner of dress cos a monkey himself is a monkey no less - cold fact
Somchai Turdsak

Post by Somchai Turdsak »

Yes it bothers me. That's why I ask the chef to spoon my meal out onto the sidewalk where I eat in on all fours. The cutlery here, if not sanded down with an angle-grinder between servings, is full of germs, too.
BaaBaa.
Addict
Addict

Post by BaaBaa. »

Can't say I've ever noticed chipped plates, plastic type plates don't bother me if it's cheap as chips. :wink:

I voted option 3, you get what you pay for.
BaaBaa.
Addict
Addict

Post by BaaBaa. »

Somchai Turdsak wrote:Yes it bothers me. That's why I ask the chef to spoon my meal out onto the sidewalk where I eat in on all fours. The cutlery here, if not sanded down with an angle-grinder between servings, is full of germs, too.
What a load of shite, I find Thais to be clean people no matter their earnings. The
first rule of trolling is don't go straight for the jugular.
Somchai Turdsak

Post by Somchai Turdsak »

What a load of shite, I find Thais to be clean people no matter their earnings.
whoosh. Maybe I should have ... never mind. :wink:
Siani
Legend
Legend

Post by Siani »

richard wrote:I survived after 1 year in Isaan eating off banana leaves and all sorts of utensils. The whole issue of food cleanliness etc is a pain in the butt IMO. My father lived until 99 eating salted meats (no fridges in those days) cold left overs on cracked plates etc

We are becoming wimps with no resistance to inbound germs
Banana leaves, now you are talking :thumb: Free, hygienic, disposable, environmentally friendly etc. In the olden days of your Dad, people had very cold larders with marble slabs in them. I suppose germs would not multiply in such a cold place. also maybe his plates were not cracked. Cracked crockery is not "life threatening" but it can cause stomach bugs, gum disease, just to name a few things.

I really hate it when I am given a cup of tea with a black old crack in the cup. I hate it more if the old cracked cup has brown stains all around the handle :cry: I also think it disrespectful for the café or restaurant to serve it in this way. I do not think the standard of the establishment comes into it. It could be a roadside café/stall or Fortnum & Masons....same for me.
I don't think there is such a problem with things like Pyrex, it is not so porous.
I don't think it's a case of being a wimp...we don't see half what goes on in kitchens anyway, just as well we don't IMO. :)
Last edited by Siani on Mon Jul 01, 2013 4:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.