Chinese tourists (and their habits) surge into Thailand

Local Hua Hin and regional Thailand news articles and discussion.
buksida

Re: Chinese tourists (and their habits) surge into Thailand

Post by buksida »

Thailand to open up visa-free stays
As China and India emerge as priority targets for Thailand’s latest tourism promotions, visa-free-travel is back on the table for urgent consideration.

Last week, Minister of Tourism and Sports, Pipat Ratchakitprakarn, told Prachachat Business he intends to introduce visa-free travel for Chinese and Indians later this year.

Currently, citizens of both countries need to apply for a visa-on-arrival although the THB2,000 service fee has been waived until October this year.

The new minister says all that might change with both countries joining a long list of countries that enjoy visa-free entry for a stay of 14 days, possibly as early as 1 November.

This year’s target for tourism revenue, including domestic travel, has been set at THB3.4 trillion. Earnings from international tourists will reach around THB2.2 trillion while tourist arrivals should exceed 40.5 million.

https://www.ttrweekly.com/site/2019/08/ ... ree-stays/

:banghead:
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
charlesh
Ace
Ace

Post by charlesh »

If Thailand thinks it will get out of its' economic lethargy on the backs of Indians and Chinese God help Thailand.
buksida

Post by buksida »

Chinese comeback awaited in October
More than 250,000 Chinese visitors are expected to travel to Thailand during China's Golden Week, up about 20% from the same period last year when the industry was reeling from the fatal tour-boat accident off of Phuket.

The festival falls on Oct 1-7.

Vichit Prakobgosol, president of the Association of Thai Travel Agents (Atta), said Thailand could enjoy a windfall from the prolonged protests in Hong Kong, which used to be a top destination for Chinese tourists.

"Continued riots in the territory are likely to shift the travel plans of mainlanders during the week to other countries," Mr Vichit said.

He is uncertain whether Thailand can benefit as the baht remains strong against the yuan, resulting in more expensive travel costs.

Mr Vichit estimated tourism receipts during Golden Week at 13 billion baht, based on average spending of 50,000 baht a day, similar to last year, with average stays of 6-7 days per trip.

https://www.bangkokpost.com/business/17 ... in-october

:shock: :shock: :shock: where the hell do these guys pull their figures from ?! Chinese tourists spending 50k per day ... yeah right.
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

Yes they put at least 2 many 0’s in their figure!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
HumbleHubris
Novice
Novice

Post by HumbleHubris »

Having lived in China (mainly Shanghai) for the best part of 10 years, I could wax lyrical for hours on the subject of Chinese habits and manners (and in many cases the lack of them). Having said that, there are two very distinct types of Chinese tourists and they both behave very differently. First you have the groups, by and large they are from the more rural areas and more often than not it's their first trip abroad and they will be watching every Baht that they spend.

The second type are from the rapidly growing middle class and this won't have been their first holiday. They have money and they do spend and behave completely differently. Just to give you an example, I was in London last year to renew my Chinese business visa. As it happened I was staying at the Sheraton on Park Lane (courtesy of having a gzillion rewards points - long story that I won't bore you with), a good 25% of the guests were Chinese and thats a $400 night hotel and up to $1,500 for a suite. Every night you would see them coming in loaded up with bags from every luxury brand you can think of.

Apologies for the long post but as my partner is Chinese I thought I would offer an alternative view. Don't get me wrong, there are days here when I could commit murder in Shanghai!

But to pick up on Dannie Boy's comment. 50,000 a day per person! We were two couples in Hua Hin for 10 days, at tourist exchanges rates that would have been $7,000 a day between the 4 of us, whoever came up with the 50,000 Baht a day figure clearly should not be let anywhere near a calculator!
Bamboo Grove

Post by Bamboo Grove »

Very good post HumbleHubris. Thinking that every Chinese tourist is like those in the big tour groups is like thinking every Brit is like those staying in Benindorm or football fans watching matches in Europe. Although, I've met several people who also think the latter way.
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Post by handdrummer »

The operative word in the the article is "could."
oakdale160
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by oakdale160 »

Its everywhere. A fiend who worked with me in China recently vacationed in Eastern Europe, Prague and Budapest he commented that the Chinese tour u were everywhere.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Who am I to criticise - I like mushy peas :laugh: ?

I mentioned on another thread that we currently have a group of Chinese staying in a party house a couple of doors away (actually left about an hour ago). As with all party house guests in this particular property, they have been absolutely no trouble and well behaved.

Now I've heard about their eating habits, but never actually believed it until this morning, A tin of Pedigree Chum, complete with chopsticks left on the roadside (I live in a cul-de-sac, so unlikely to have been anybody else).

Now we know why we rarely see them in restaurants. Mind you, a tin of Pedigree Chum is not cheap.
DSC00612.jpg
DSC00612.jpg (116.94 KiB) Viewed 1352 times
:lach: :lach: :lach: :lach:
Championship Plymouth Argyle 1 - 0 Hull City :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:

Points 51; Position 21
Consolidated - Championship Next Season :dance: :dance:
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

Maybe they used the Pedigree Chum to attract dinner, have you checked your dog's?
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Yes, the dogs are still in tact :laugh:

Attracting plenty of ants though.

Points 51; Position 21
migrant
Addict
Addict

Post by migrant »

With the fashion of ladies having these little spoiled dogs that are all dressed up and pampered, it could be she hand fed a little dog
The proper function of man is to live, not to exist. I shall not waste my days in trying to prolong them. I shall use my time.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

No, they had no pets with them as far as we could see. We overlook the property, and definitely saw no evidence of pets. The party house is not pet friendly, and these guys were on holiday from China. A lot of hassle to bring a pet with you.

Points 51; Position 21
Ralfredo
Professional
Professional

Post by Ralfredo »

Big Boy wrote: Fri Nov 15, 2019 5:12 pmA lot of hassle to bring a pet with you.
TiT. You don't have to bring your own. There's always a soi nearby where you can borrow a few :D From our back yard some years ago.
img_1089(1).jpg
img_1089(1).jpg (69.91 KiB) Viewed 1249 times
buksida

Post by buksida »

Thailand tipped to become Chinese cruise hotspot
The world’s biggest cruise-ports operator is looking to expand in Southeast Asia, a budding hotspot for Chinese voyagers that could eventually rival the Caribbean and Mediterranean.

Global Ports Holding Plc wants to acquire docks in Thailand, Malaysia, Indonesia and Vietnam to add more destinations for cruises based out of Singapore, currently the company’s sole Asian port and the continent’s second-biggest embarkation point, Chief Executive Officer Emre Sayin said in an interview.

Demand for cruising, once confined largely to retirees, is outpacing the rest of the leisure sector as keener prices and a wider range of stopoffs and activities broaden its appeal. A growing middle class has led the number of Chinese tourists taking to the seas to triple in four years, putting the country on course to overtake the US as the world’s biggest cruise market by 2030.

https://www.bangkokpost.com/business/18 ... se-hotspot