Thailand fuel/pump prices

Driving and riding in Hua Hin and Thailand, all topics on cars, pickups, bikes, boats, licenses, roads, and motoring in general.
Kaiboom
Novice
Novice

Re: Thailand fuel/pump prices

Post by Kaiboom »

How do gas prices in Thailand compare to the rest of the world? Is is abnormally expensive? Abnormally cheap (like most other things)?
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

See the below latest chart as example. For the sake of this post just use 30.0 Baht as a normal per liter price. In US terms that would translate to about USD 3.49 per US gallon. Not cheap by any means.

phpGwLWl8PM.jpg
phpGwLWl8PM.jpg (21.62 KiB) Viewed 1234 times
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
joelle
Legend
Legend

Post by joelle »

thai price in euros would be about 0,80 € a litre
which is quite cheap as a litre in France SP95: 1.57 €, and in Germany 1.37 €
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Post by handdrummer »

I think that the govt. subsidizes petrol prices in Thailand. It's a long boat trip to bring the oil here and the Vat & sales tax add 17% to the price. There's no Vat in the US and it's less expensive to ship it there. Also taxes are federal and state regulated so every state has a different price. Oregon has no sales tax and petrol is cheaper there.
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

Diesel and domestic gas are subsidised by the government. Diesel was capped when oil prices started going through the roof but this cap was lifted by the junta after the coup. I believe it was re-instated this year.
I don't know of any subsidy on petrol which is why at times the price gap between petrol and diesel is quite large.
In the UK and some other countries, diesel is more expensive than petrol.

As for the cost of imports. Thailand is a huge producer of natural gas and also produces around a third of it's oil consumption locally.
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

The average price of diesel in the UK is £1.35 per litre - in Thailand its the equivalent of approximately £0.75 or about 80% more expensive.
bert91157

Post by bert91157 »

I think if you compare the price per litre against the average salary/minimum wage then the fuel in Thailand is actually quite high.
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

Good point. A common way of comparing the cost of living in different countries is to compare the time you have to work to buy, say a gallon of petrol, a pint of beer, a bottle of milk etc. Using that rule, the cost of living here, for the local population is quite high.
hhinner
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by hhinner »

I had to top up the car's petrol yesterday for the first time in weeks as we're not really going anywhere these days. So I asked for 500 baht's worth of E20, which normally buys about 20 litres.

When I checked the pump gauge I was shocked to see it had delivered 31 litres. And the price was down at 16.xx baht pet litre. That's around a 33% drop.

Is it possible for it to go lower?
sateeb
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by sateeb »

It was lower last week. E20 was 15 baht pl
“Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.”

― George Carlin
“The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.” -George Orwell.
nil
Professional
Professional

Post by nil »

Yes. Crude oil is down 18% at the moment due to lack of demand and storage.
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

I remember when petrol rose by 2 baht from 7 baht a litre to 9. People outside of Thailand couldn't understand what all the fuss was about on a rise of only 2 baht. But when you put that into percentages, it was more than a 20% increase.

It's nice to see it coming down and that they are reacting to the low oil prices. Thailand do react much quicker to a fluctuation in the price of oil unlike for example, the UK.
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

The price of petrol in Thailand does seem to mirror the crude oil price fairly accurately and fairly quickly, whereas in the UK they have two speeds - quick to put it up, slow to reduce it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
hhinner
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by hhinner »

sateeb wrote:It was lower last week. E20 was 15 baht pl
Drat!
hhinner
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by hhinner »

So crude is down 18%, but E20 is down 33%. I would also have expected the price of ethanol to have gone up due to sanitizer demand. There may also have been government intervention by lowering of taxes and duty I suppose.