Thailand fuel/pump prices

Driving and riding in Hua Hin and Thailand, all topics on cars, pickups, bikes, boats, licenses, roads, and motoring in general.
VincentD
Ace
Ace

Re: Thailand fuel/pump prices

Post by VincentD »

Sigh. They need to get their collective heads out of the black hole they're presently stuck in, and look for some other viable alternative than threats of price increases. There does come a point when you can't squeeze any more blood out of a stone.
วินเชนท์
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

I don't use much of it, but yesterday the price of 95 octane was 52 Baht a litre.
..................................................................................................................
Oil refineries face state price cap

https://www.bangkokpost.com/business/23 ... -price-cap

Energy authorities are considering imposing a price cap on oil sold by Thai refineries to better control energy inflation, with ongoing measures to tackle the problem scheduled to end this month.

The Energy Ministry formed a working panel to study how to narrow what is known as the oil refinery margin, which normally averages two baht a litre but has risen to five baht a litre in recent months, said Energy Minister Supattanapong Punmeechaow.

The refinery margin is part of the retail oil price that drivers pay at petrol stations, and is essentially a cost added to the crude oil price during the refining process.

The group is looking into energy and consumer protection laws as well as considering a call for cooperation among oil companies in order to implement a temporary refinery margin intervention, which should lead to a lower oil retail price.

This marks the first time the ministry has considered an intervention since global oil prices started soaring late last year.

The government has capped the diesel price since October last year by spending money from the Oil Fuel Fund and reducing the diesel excise tax to support its price subsidy programme.

The domestic price of diesel had been capped at below 30 baht a litre for months before the government decided to gradually have the price rise to 33.94 baht a litre because of dwindling cash in the Oil Fuel Fund.

The price subsidy policy is scheduled to end in June, said Mr Supattanapong.

"Authorities are working on a new method of capping energy prices before the policy expires," he said.

It is uncertain whether policymakers will renew the subsidy programme with an amount of financial aid similar to or lower than the current version as the impact of the Russia-Ukraine war continues to keep global oil prices at high levels.

Money from the Oil Fuel Fund has been spent on capping the prices of diesel and liquefied petroleum gas, which is used as household cooking gas.

The fund is 81.4 billion baht in the red, while its cash reserves stand at only 9.7 billion baht. This caused authorities to carefully manage the diesel price subsidy programme.

In the power sector, the government also told the state-run Electricity Generating Authority of Thailand (Egat) to cap the fuel tariff, which is used to calculate electricity bills, to help people cope with higher living costs between September 2021 and April this year.

Egat said this measure had cost it more than 60 billion baht.
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

I remember petrol going from 7 baht to 9 baht a litre during the '98 financial crash. Following that petrol here was around a quarter of the price in the UK. Now we're getting closer than ever to UK prices.
52 baht as Nereus points out against £1.82 (79 baht) in the UK
bigston
Professional
Professional

Post by bigston »

probably common knowledge, but im sure its part of the problem
https://www.bbc.com/news/business-61750251
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Post by handdrummer »

Today I paid 44.81 per liter for Gasahol 95, at PTT, East side of Petrchasem, just south of Bagette.
joelle
Legend
Legend

Post by joelle »

Latest fuel prices published by Shell on 11th June and PTT on 8th June
Attachments
received_1059482148326322.jpeg
(208.58 KiB) Downloaded 952 times
VincentD
Ace
Ace

Post by VincentD »

Yes, I paid 52 baht/ liter when I filled up yesterday. :( It's doesn't help to know the authorities are skimming some of that to help prop up the diesel fund.
Another point to note, most of the older motorcycles do not run well on gasohol 95 and do fill up with benzine. These poor blokes are your typical Grab/ whatever delivery riders..
วินเชนท์
buksida

Post by buksida »

VincentD wrote: Sat Jun 11, 2022 10:36 am Another point to note, most of the older motorcycles do not run well on gasohol 95 and do fill up with benzine. These poor blokes are your typical Grab/ whatever delivery riders..
Right, I've got an old Honda Sonic that likes only the yellow stuff. Its the dearest I've ever seen it here. :shock: (yes, and before someone says it and drives another thread off topic - I know its more expensive in other countries.)
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Ouch, I've just topped the truck up - about 400฿ more than a couple of weeks ago, and I'm using diesel. You petrol guys must be really feeling it.
Championship Stoke City 3 - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 48; Position 20
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

Eventually it will take people off the roads and that may be a good thing if they at least think about alternative transportation.

I also see so many making multiple daily trips for everyday things, whereas with a bit of thinking and planning it could be one trip with a few stops then home and park it. Not only saves fuel but NWT on the vehicle, and cuts emission pollution.
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

I don't think it will take people off the roads. They used to say that in the UK, but it never did. People are so reliant upon their transport, they will moan, but they will pay it. Just watch out for siphoning of fuel tanks to start.

I actually hope you are right because most of Hua Hins roads were never built for the current volume of traffic.
Championship Stoke City 3 - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 48; Position 20
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Post by handdrummer »

We try to shop for food once every 2 weeks and aside from that rarely drive anywhere. This week is an exception because my wife has to go to the hospital every day to get a wound dressed.
Unless you live near Petchasem there is no public transportation in Hua Hin and without a vehicle or motorbike, you'd be stuck or reliant on taxis.
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

Big Boy wrote: Sat Jun 11, 2022 1:12 pm I don't think it will take people off the roads. They used to say that in the UK, but it never did. People are so reliant upon their transport, they will moan, but they will pay it. Just watch out for siphoning of fuel tanks to start.

I actually hope you are right because most of Hua Hins roads were never built for the current volume of traffic.
The old days of siphoning petrol are gone. Petrol caps are usually locked these days.
GroveHillWanderer
Guru
Guru

Post by GroveHillWanderer »

Big Boy wrote: Sat Jun 11, 2022 12:28 pm Ouch, I've just topped the truck up - about 400฿ more than a couple of weeks ago, and I'm using diesel. You petrol guys must be really feeling it.
I am, but I'm just glad that my car takes E85, so at least I'm using the cheapest type of petrol. It's small comfort though - I'm also paying about 400 Baht more for a full tank than I was until just recently.
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

GroveHillWanderer wrote: Sat Jun 11, 2022 6:14 pm
Big Boy wrote: Sat Jun 11, 2022 12:28 pm Ouch, I've just topped the truck up - about 400฿ more than a couple of weeks ago, and I'm using diesel. You petrol guys must be really feeling it.
I am, but I'm just glad that my car takes E85, so at least I'm using the cheapest type of petrol. It's small comfort though - I'm also paying about 400 Baht more for a full tank than I was until just recently.
I didn’t think that diesel had gone up very much maybe 3-4 Baht a litre?