Speed cameras, limits, and tickets

Driving and riding in Hua Hin and Thailand, all topics on cars, pickups, bikes, boats, licenses, roads, and motoring in general.
Big Boy

Re: Speed cameras, limits, and tickets

Post by Big Boy »

As these fines arrive via the bog standard Thai postal system, do they send out final demands if not paid (not received)? If they send out a final reminder, I hope it will be done using a signed for service to prove receipt.
Championship Stoke City 3 - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 48; Position 20
VincentD
Ace
Ace

Post by VincentD »

Big Boy wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 8:23 am As these fines arrive via the bog standard Thai postal system, do they send out final demands if not paid (not received)? If they send out a final reminder, I hope it will be done using a signed for service to prove receipt.
They send the ticket to the vehicle owner's registered address, and give ample time to pay the fine. If the fine is not paid, they will not renew your road tax until the fine is paid.
My guess is, the above has failed to deter people from not paying their fines, so they are going up a notch.
It is revenue after all, and the cameras have actually resulted in more people observing the speed limits.
Side note: the fine you receive in the post has a QR code specific to the ticket. If you have an online banking app with a local bank you can scan the QR code and pay through the app. Saves a trip to the bank.
วินเชนท์
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

They said some years ago that unpaid fines will pop up when trying to renew your tax. However, I've heard, even on this forum that there are people who've never paid a fine but still manage to renew their tax.

The only speeding fine I had was in the Kratum Baen area. At the time it could only be paid in person at that police station. The pic that was taken showed a ridiculous speed which the jalopy I was driving was incapable of achieving. The picture showed a tuk-tuk following me at close range. However, the fine is so small that it wasn't worth contesting.
buksida

Post by buksida »

I got one a few months ago for driving 2kph over the limit (in the wife's pickup). It came through the post and the only way to pay it was at the blue government bank which was an utter fiasco so she did it (but wasn't happy). I don't trust any of these "hackable by a ten-year-old" apps they keep producing here.
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
VincentD
Ace
Ace

Post by VincentD »

🔼 ah, yes. I remember those days. My company driver once got stopped, he had to surrender his license and later pay the fine and collect it, not at the checkpoint where he was caught speeding, but at the police station those officers were from!
Fortunately those days are long gone.
วินเชนท์
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

VincentD wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 8:45 am They send the ticket to the vehicle owner's registered address, and give ample time to pay the fine. If the fine is not paid, they will not renew your road tax until the fine is paid. Yes, I received one about 9 years ago - had to pay in the post office back then.
My guess is, the above has failed to deter people from not paying their fines, so they are going up a notch.
It is revenue after all, and the cameras have actually resulted in more people observing the speed limits. Have they? Not from what I've seen whilst travelling. Even if they had, I'd love to see the camera that can sort the triple speed limit on the same carriageway - I think any benefit of cameras has been shot in the foot.
Side note: the fine you receive in the post has a QR code specific to the ticket. If you have an online banking app with a local bank you can scan the QR code and pay through the app. Saves a trip to the bank. Ah, a QR Code - that'll fix it :banghead:

Points 48; Position 20
joelle
Legend
Legend

Post by joelle »

Big Boy wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 10:43 am
had to pay in the post office back then.
Still can, had a fine couple of weeks ago, paid it at post office, quick and easy
buksida

Re: Left Turn at Traffic Lights - Warning

Post by buksida »

A warning that there are several cameras on the Chomsin/Petchkasem crossroads in Hua Hin - don't even think about turning left or nipping through the amber light - you'll get a fine in the post two months later. :oops:
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

Sounds like someone speaking from experience!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Yes, I'm becoming very paranoid about the amount of cameras in operation out there, and they seem to change daily. Thankfully, I'm getting to understand my cheap whispering radar detector, and it's hopefully keeping me safe.

Points 48; Position 20
joelle
Legend
Legend

Post by joelle »

Beware opposite Hua Hin hospital (north ➡️ south) manned camera check, and, a few yards further same side a group of Bibs stopping cars.
They seem to be there every day lately
Attachments
FB_IMG_1670993517231.jpg
FB_IMG_1670993517231.jpg (91.56 KiB) Viewed 169 times
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Easy money, and what a coincidence they've found a shady spot.

Points 48; Position 20
VincentD
Ace
Ace

Post by VincentD »

Ah. Looks like a laser speed gun. Pinpoint accuracy, you need a laser detector, but by the time you get it, it may be too late..
วินเชนท์
Green Nomad
Professional
Professional

Post by Green Nomad »

There was a time in the not so distant past, when I was driving up and down the length of Britain, I would fear being pulled over by police in a patrol car. Not that I was breaking road rules, I was being a conscientious driver. That, in my personal opinion was effective policing, these days not only in Thailand, that method has diminished, many countries are using tech as the main method. "Gatsos" are appearing everywhere here in Saudi and it is not a totally effective deterant because those who speed excessively still do so as they only get an automatic fine. Police on the side of the road in random positions is a little step towards a better deterant as it can catch people out, but a more visible patrol car cruising around is better, as I said in my opinion. Something has to be done to reduce the terrible death tolls on Thai roads.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Green Nomad wrote: Wed Dec 14, 2022 1:37 pm Something has to be done to reduce the terrible death tolls on Thai roads.
Do you honestly believe the intention of these cameras is to reduce death tolls on Thai roads? They are nothing more than a revenue collection system, which should see most of the cash go to the correct Gov't department, rather into an officer's back packet.

Driving to and from Buriram a couple of weeks ago, it became very clear to me. In several places along the main highway, for no apparent reason the speed limit dropped to 60 or 50, and was followed almost immediately by a speed camera. Not far after the camera, the speed limit was restored. It was actually a danger if all traffic dropped from 90 to 60 for the duration of the speed check, so had very little to do with safety. Most drivers seemed unaware of the speed traps, so complying with a 60 speed limit when all around are still doing 90 becomes a challenge.

Points 48; Position 20