Which Mobile Phone?

Technology, computers, internet, websites, mobiles, cameras, audio and video.
SPONSORS: Hua Hin Web Design
buksida

Re: Which Mobile Phone?

Post by buksida »

PeteC wrote: Wed Mar 23, 2022 3:57 am Not smart but clever? The return of 'dumbphones'

I would definitely go back to a brick phone. Have eliminated all social media apps from it, don't do banking or finance on it, its essentially for checking email when on the road (which isn't too often these days). I'd miss the odd game I have on there, the camera, and its music capabilities but aside from that not much.

The problem is a larger number of countries and institutions are forcing people to use their apps (and whatever comes with them) to get anything done (Thailand is a prime example).
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Post by handdrummer »

Since 1993, I've only owned dumbphones.

I've found that when I go out to dinner with someone who uses a smartphone, at least 60% of the time they're looking at their phone. It's like going out alone.

Between her iPhone and the tv, my wife barely has time to think & insists she's not addicted and can put it down anytime. That time has not arrived.

I could probably move out and she wouldn't notice it for a couple of days.

There is daylight savings time and standard time and now we have zombie time for those whose lives are governed by their phones.
buksida

Post by buksida »

handdrummer wrote: Wed Mar 23, 2022 7:01 am I could probably move out and she wouldn't notice it for a couple of days.
I can relate to that, and often do for a few days now and then - its why God invented motorcycles!

Mrs B. has recently discovered TikTok ... nooooooooooo
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

When it comes to mobile phones per capita:

USA is ranked 75th, the UK is 89th.

Thailand is ranked at number 8!!!
hhinner
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by hhinner »

HHTel wrote:When it comes to mobile phones per capita:

USA is ranked 75th, the UK is 89th.

Thailand is ranked at number 8!!!
I think that among the reasons for this high smartphone market penetration in Thailand are:

. At the advent of mobile phones fixed phone lines were still hard to come by.

. Similarly, internet connections originally depended on fixed phone lines and only gradually the two methods of communication became separated.

. Meanwhile mobile phone usage increased rapidly (because of the difficulty getting fixed lines) and Thais generally skipped the hassle of waiting for fixed lines.

. As the internet grew, many Thais still only had mobile phones and were therefore a prime market for smartphones which gave them access to the internet. Prior to smartphones, feature phones allowed basic access to the internet via WEP but this was rather clunky.

. Most Thai households couldn't afford to buy a PC (and still can't) and without a phone line still wouldn't have internet access. Cheap smartphones (and tablets) have helped mitigate this problem.

Meanwhile in places like the UK a more affluent population already had phone lines and could afford PCs so that this became the usual method for internet access possibly reducing the perceived need for smartphones when voice communication was the primary phone function.

STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

I was a late adapter to smartphones but now I find them very useful for a few things. The first of these is for the access to virtually free, unlimited video calls which, living away from home, have been a godsend over the last couple of years of travel restrictions.
I even managed to oversee a construction project we carried out last year by mobile phone video calls.
The other major use is for banking apps which make moving money around very easy compared with the old days, I don't want to go back to using a fax machine for international transfers!
Another thing I find useful are travel apps, in Luxembourg the entire public transport system is on one very well designed app that will instantly tell you how to get between two points by train, tram or bus.
I'm certainly not addicted to smartphones, I don't carry it when at work and I don't generally take it out at night but I wouldn't go back to not having one.
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Post by handdrummer »

STEVE G wrote: Wed Mar 23, 2022 2:25 pm I was a late adapter to smartphones but now I find them very useful for a few things. The first of these is for the access to virtually free, unlimited video calls which, living away from home, have been a godsend over the last couple of years of travel restrictions.
I even managed to oversee a construction project we carried out last year by mobile phone video calls.
The other major use is for banking apps which make moving money around very easy compared with the old days, I don't want to go back to using a fax machine for international transfers!
Another thing I find useful are travel apps, in Luxembourg the entire public transport system is on one very well designed app that will instantly tell you how to get between two points by train, tram or bus.
I'm certainly not addicted to smartphones, I don't carry it when at work and I don't generally take it out at night but I wouldn't go back to not having one.
That's the difference between having a tool and a toy.
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Mobile57

Post by handdrummer »

Does anyone have experience buying a phone, online, from Mobile57 or other online sources?
buksida

Post by buksida »

Bought several from Lazada without issue.
thecolonel
Legend
Legend

Re: Mobile57

Post by thecolonel »

handdrummer wrote:Does anyone have experience buying a phone, online, from Mobile57 or other online sources?
I bought my phone from JD Central In Bangkok

And I would happily do so again.

They have a good app and customer service agents are friendly and helpful

Sent from my M2007J20CG using Tapatalk

handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Post by handdrummer »

thecolonel wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 7:24 am
handdrummer wrote:Does anyone have experience buying a phone, online, from Mobile57 or other online sources?

Thank you.
I looked at their website and there are dozens of sellers with wildly different prices. How do I know which one to choose?
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

Next time you pick up your phone, I doubt that you’ll realise what it is exactly that you’re holding!!

‘Apple’s new-generation mobile processor, the A16 bionic, contains a whopping 16 billion transistors, a 6.7% increase from the A15’s 15 billion transistors,’ the firm explained.

Growing up in the days when a simple radio contained dozens of valves and other similar item taking up the space of an overhead flight bag, it’s difficult to comprehend what they cram into the latest high-tech gadgets!!

This article also looks at the profitability of such devices.

https://metro.co.uk/2023/02/16/heres-ho ... -18287350/
thecolonel
Legend
Legend

Post by thecolonel »

handdrummer wrote:
thecolonel wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 7:24 am

Thank you.
I looked at their website and there are dozens of sellers with wildly different prices. How do I know which one to choose?
Apologies I've only just seen this post!

You're probably sorted now. But I knew from extensive research exactly which phone(and specs) I wanted.

I searched on google shopping and JD Central kept coming up as one the cheapest for this model

titomiako
Novice
Novice

Post by titomiako »

I have only ever had "Dumb" phones or a landline but have decided I will have to move on and purchase something slightly more sophisticated. I have no interest in social media, playing games or watching TV or movies on the phone, but feel I need it for my banking apps and Lazada/Shoppee, Villa Market etc. Any recommendations on a cheap phone and where to buy would be appreciated.
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

Reference the Icon Siam thread..... . ( viewtopic.php?f=7&t=41795&p=588880#p588880 )

"Realme" is a legitimate mobile phone company, based in China: https://www.realme.com/global/

Realme
Consumer electronics company
Realme is a Chinese consumer electronics manufacturer based in Shenzhen, Guangdong. It was founded by Li Bingzhong on May 4, 2018, who was a former vice president of Oppo. Starting originally as a sub-brand of Oppo, Realme eventually ventured as its own brand. Wikipedia
Founder: Sky Li
Headquarters location: Shenzhen, China
Subsidiary: Realme Europe
Founded: May 4, 2018
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source