Home brew in Thailand

Restaurants, food, beverage, hawkers, and local markets and suppliers. This is the place for discussion on Hua Hin's culinary options.
pharvey

Re: Home brew in Thailand

Post by pharvey »

Dannie Boy wrote: Fri Apr 17, 2020 4:32 pmAs for Thailand, the link supplied by Steve G looks interesting - I’m just intrigued that if home brewing is supposedly illegal here,how this Company operates?
Exactly.......

One of the easiest homebrews I've done both at home and (at times) working away is a "Hard Cider" - watch the alcohol content though.....
"Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things" - Yma o Hyd.
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

Very simple. It's illegal to make it and/or sell it. Not illegal to sell the ingredients.

It's the same with many products. Remember when all phones in the UK had to be BT approved. The legal ones carried a sticker. It was never illegal to sell unapproved phones but illegal to use them.

The company noted in Steve's link are not making or selling beer, therefore not breaking any laws!
Lost
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Lost »

Just did a search to see if home brew was mentioned outside of the beer thread. Couldn't remember.
pharvey wrote: Fri Apr 17, 2020 4:48 pm
One of the easiest homebrews I've done both at home and (at times) working away is a "Hard Cider" - watch the alcohol content though.....
Got a thread to read through first and, google is of course still there.

Just interested in your Cider method. 'Easy and strong' ticked a box for me. DId it taste decent compared to a good cider you'd get from the shops? Never done a home brew before but would like to try. Haven't had a beer for 5 years. Am a cider drinker.

:cheers:
I don't trust children. They're here to replace us.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Sorry :oops: it had to be done.

Championship Plymouth Argyle 1 - 0 Hull City :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:

Points 51; Position 21
Consolidated - Championship Next Season :dance: :dance:
Lost
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Lost »

^^^ 😆

Lol, I've not heard that before. Do love me cider, me.

:cheers:
I don't trust children. They're here to replace us.
buksida

Post by buksida »

Anyone know a good online source to buy brewing yeast?
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
sateeb
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by sateeb »

Shopee and Laz
“Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.”

― George Carlin
“The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.” -George Orwell.
buksida

Post by buksida »

So there is! Didn't think of that since the regime has banned almost everything alcohol-related online.
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Post by handdrummer »

buksida wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 11:41 am So there is! Didn't think of that since the regime has banned almost everything alcohol-related online.
Tell them you're baking bread.
Groodman

Post by Groodman »

Pineapple beer from Pineapple skins, cheap & easy to make, plenty of recipes on the Internet.
electricwarrior

Post by electricwarrior »

Interesting, might give it a go.
The foolproof guide to easy pineapple tepache, a fizzy fermented Mexican drink made from just pineapple peels, sugar, and water!
Ingredients
▢1 ripe pineapple
▢1 cup light brown sugar 200 g, or 1 large cone piloncillo
▢8 cups water 1.9 L
▢Optional: 2 thumbs sliced fresh ginger, ½ red chili, 1 cinnamon stick, 3 whole cloves
Instructions
Cut: Remove the crown and base of the pineapple, then rinse the body of the pineapple with cool tap water to remove potential pests or dirt. Cut the peel from the pineapple in big chunks, leaving about ½ inch of the pineapple flesh on the peel.
Assemble: Add sugar (or piloncillo) and 1 cup of the water to a clean, large glass or ceramic jar, stirring well to dissolve sugar. Add optional flavors and cover with pineapple rinds, then add remaining water. Submerge all ingredients in the liquid to prevent mold by weighing it down using either a glass, ladle spoon, or fermentation weight.
Ferment: Cover with a clean dish towel or a few layers of paper towels, then secure with a rubber band. Set somewhere dark and room temperature (ideally 75-80°F, 24-26°C), letting it ferment for 1 to 3 days.
Drink or Bottle: The tepache is finished when you see many small bubbles on top and it tastes how you want it to (test by drawing some out with a paper straw, using your finger to keep the tepache in the straw). Either refrigerate and drink the tepache as is, or carbonate it in the second fermentation.
Second Fermentation (Optional): Funnel the liquid into fermentation-grade bottles, leaving about 2 inches free at the top of each bottle. Set somewhere room temperature and dark, then allow it to ferment for another 1 to 3 days. After 24 hours, pop open a bottle to see how carbonated it has become and to gauge how much longer they will need. When the tepache has reached a carbonation level that you like, transfer the bottles to the refrigerator to stop the fermentation.
Tips & Tricks
Reuse the pineapple peels for another 1 or 2 rounds after your initial fermentation. There is still plenty of yeast on them!
Blast zone: Carbonating tepache in the second fermentation does involve pressure build up inside the bottles, which is why I recommend bottles specifically made for fermentation. As with any second fermentation, there is a risk of bottles exploding, so check on your bottles regularly and move them to the refrigerator when done.
Store finished tepache in a sealed container in the refrigerator for up to a year. As with most fermentations, tepache will last virtually forever due to the acidity. Over time the flavors will continue to develop towards yeasty, but a properly made tepache will last for a long, long time!
Nutrition Information
Serving: 1cup (depends on fermentation lenngth) Calories: 120kcal (6%) Carbohydrates: 30g (10%) Protein: 1g (2%) Fat: 0g Saturated Fat: 0g Cholesterol: 0mg Sodium: 25mg (1%) Potassium: 0mg Fiber: 0g Sugar: 30g (33%) Vitamin A: 0IU Vitamin C: 30mg (36%) Calcium: 0mg Iron: 0mg

https://www.liveeatlearn.com/pineapple- ... ngredients

Edit. Just noticed that this is a non alcoholic recipe.
Don't piss on my back and tell me it's raining.
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

Edit. Just noticed that this is a non alcoholic recipe.
You might have put that at the top of the recipe. I could have saved myself reading the whole thing!
buksida

Post by buksida »

Just throw some yeast into it and it will start fermenting!
electricwarrior

Post by electricwarrior »

buksida wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 12:02 pm Just throw some yeast into it and it will start fermenting!
Apparently there is natural yeast in the pineapple rinds but no harm adding some yeast. Does it have to be brewers yeast or will the shop bought yeast for bread do? :cheers:
Don't piss on my back and tell me it's raining.
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

electricwarrior wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 12:09 pm
buksida wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 12:02 pm Just throw some yeast into it and it will start fermenting!
Apparently there is natural yeast in the pineapple rinds but no harm adding some yeast. Does it have to be brewers yeast or will the shop bought yeast for bread do? :cheers:
Although bakers yeast will work, it might have a slightly different taste than if brewers yeast is used - i once made some wine in Saudi Arabia using grape juice, sugar and bakers yeast and it was drinkable!!