Snakes in the house and garden

General chat about life in the Land Of Smiles. Discuss expat life, relationship issues and all things generally Thailand and Asia related.
PeteC

Re: Snakes in the house and garden

Post by PeteC »

S__70959109.jpg
(137.91 KiB) Downloaded 19435 times
I'm having problems with this one as it has the head markings of keelbacks I've seen, but I've never seen a keelback with perfectly round and equally spaced black dots on its back along the spine.

I have checked images everywhere and cannot find an example that looks like that. Anyone have an idea? :cheers:
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
joelle
Legend
Legend

Post by joelle »

PeteC wrote: Fri Jul 22, 2022 4:17 am S__70959109.jpg

I'm having problems with this one as it has the head markings of keelbacks I've seen, but I've never seen a keelback with perfectly round and equally spaced black dots on its back along the spine.

I have checked images everywhere and cannot find an example that looks like that. Anyone have an idea? :cheers:
I would say banded kukri, but just a guess, better ask the experts on the "Snakes of Hua Hin" Facebook page
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Definitely a harmless banded kukri.
Championship Stoke City 3 - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 48; Position 20
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

Thanks for that. Why in the world that snake didn't show up in the pages I searched I don't know. The photo is of a juvenile I guess as he was just about 12" long. :cheers:
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Wow, that is a baby. Similar to the one we thought attacked Mrs BB, but we later concluded it somehow got its teeth caught in her nightie. A mistaken attack whilst I was still learning about snakes - it didn't survive I'm afraid :cry:

Points 48; Position 20
PJG
Professional
Professional

Post by PJG »

The headmarkings make it look like a Cambodian Kukri rather than a Banded Kukri to me. Either way is relatively harmless unless your a Frog.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Head markings on all Kukris are very similar. It is the bands that distinguish it.

Points 48; Position 20
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

Snake encounter reported every 15 minutes in Bangkok

https://www.bangkokpost.com/thailand/ge ... in-bangkok
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

Aussies shocked by 'monster' poo find in roof of Queensland home

https://au.news.yahoo.com/aussies-shock ... 48769.html

Ever seen snake poo? Well, prepare to be enlightened.

A Queensland snake catching business posted a photo of a "monster" snake's faeces and people were shocked, to say the least.

Sunshine Coast Snake Catchers 24/7 were recently called to a roof inspection at a Queensland home and on Tuesday posted a photo of their findings belonging to a coastal carpet python.

"Look at the size of this snake poo!" they said on their Facebook group.

"Dave found this monster snake faeces in the family's roof but no snake. The poo is fairly old so the snake must have moved on.

"It would have been a big snake!"

The photo generated plenty of interest, with people commenting their thoughts.

"Wow - Never knew what snake poo looked like," one person commented on the Facebook page.

"That's where the term 'Sh*t a brick' comes from I believe," another said.

Someone else commented that they'd take another animal over a snake slithering into their house any day.

"I'll stick to possums in my roof thanks all the same... shivers!" they said.

Sunshine Coast Snake Catchers 24/7 comment

Despite the number two being "a big one," it's shockingly not the biggest business owner Stuart McKenzie has seen.

"Don't get me wrong it's big, but I've probably seen bigger," Mr McKenzie said to Yahoo News Australia.

"Though it's certainly from a big snake, at least a couple of meters long, maybe longer."

When asked how often snake's go to the toilet, he said it really depends on several conditions.

"It all depends on how much they eat and the temperature, and it will vary quite a bit," Mr McKenzie said.

"In cooler temperatures they won't go to the toilet as much while in warmer conditions when they're eating maybe weekly, they might go to the toilet weekly.

Nicole Iliagouvea·News Reporter
Wed, 14 September 2022 at 2:57 pm·3-min read
Ever seen snake poo? Well, prepare to be enlightened.

A Queensland snake catching business posted a photo of a "monster" snake's faeces and people were shocked, to say the least.

Sunshine Coast Snake Catchers 24/7 were recently called to a roof inspection at a Queensland home and on Tuesday posted a photo of their findings belonging to a coastal carpet python.

"Look at the size of this snake poo!" they said on their Facebook group.

Two side-by-side photos from Sunshine Coast Snake Catchers 24/7 of the snake poo they found in the roof of someone's home and the type of snake, a coastal carpet python, it belonged to. Source: Facebook/ Sunshine Coast Snake Catchers 24/7
Sunshine Coast Snake Catchers 24/7 posted a photo of the large snake excrement they found. A coastal carpet python, similar to that pictured right, was responsible. Source: Facebook/ Sunshine Coast Snake Catchers 24/7
"Dave found this monster snake faeces in the family's roof but no snake. The poo is fairly old so the snake must have moved on.

"It would have been a big snake!"

Facebook users reaction to the snake poo
The photo generated plenty of interest, with people commenting their thoughts.

"Wow - Never knew what snake poo looked like," one person commented on the Facebook page.

"That's where the term 'Sh*t a brick' comes from I believe," another said.

Someone else commented that they'd take another animal over a snake slithering into their house any day.

"I'll stick to possums in my roof thanks all the same... shivers!" they said.

Sunshine Coast Snake Catchers 24/7 comment
Despite the number two being "a big one," it's shockingly not the biggest business owner Stuart McKenzie has seen.

"Don't get me wrong it's big, but I've probably seen bigger," Mr McKenzie said to Yahoo News Australia.

"Though it's certainly from a big snake, at least a couple of meters long, maybe longer."

When asked how often snake's go to the toilet, he said it really depends on several conditions.

"It all depends on how much they eat and the temperature, and it will vary quite a bit," Mr McKenzie said.

"In cooler temperatures they won't go to the toilet as much while in warmer conditions when they're eating maybe weekly, they might go to the toilet weekly.

While a trained professional like Mr McKenzie sees things like this all the time, he acknowledged that others might not actually know what snake poo looks like.

"It kind of just looks like normal faeces," he said.

"And that's the problem with snakes in general — people don't know enough about them, so they fear them and all that sort of stuff.

"So it's always good to do a fun post like this where people learn a bit about the not so 'normal' things about snakes such as their toilet actions."

Well, consider us educated!
Sunshine Coast Snake Catchers 24/7 posted a photo of the large snake excrement they found. A coastal carpet python, similar to that pictured right, was responsible. Source: Facebook/ Sunshine Coast Snake Catchers 24/7
snake crap.jpg (197 KiB) Viewed 20773 times
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

As an FYI, you may have seen reference to the below link over the past few weeks in regards to identifying a Tailor Bird's nest spotted by Joelle and I.

Since using that group I come to find they have almost daily identification of a variety of snakes people photograph and send in.

It's worthwhile to join if you're interested in identifying any and all types of fauna in this country. :cheers:

https://m.facebook.com/groups/233562137 ... rdc=1&_rdr
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

Disturbing 20kg discovery inside 4.5-metre python: 'I fled'

https://au.news.yahoo.com/disturbing-20 ... 37711.html

An enormous 4.5-metre-long python found with a pig in its belly was caught in southern Thailand.

The greedy serpent raided a fruit farm and stalked a 20kg hog in its enclosure before swallowing it whole in Nakhon Si Thammarat province on September 26.

After its feast, the bloated creature was discovered hiding among the grass by a terrified farmer who called the local rescue team for help.

Footage shows the snake with a bulging stomach as it attempted to escape the reptile handlers.

"I saw the snake not far from the pig's cage. We also had chickens here but this one seem to have a big appetite and went for the bigger animals. I was afraid he'd eat the children next so I fled and called for help," the farmer said.

The discovery of the massive creature sparked panic among parents who did a headcount on children in the village.

After [the farmer] ran in shock to tell me about the event, I quickly organised the rescue team and ordered headcounts of the children in the village," the local chief said.

"Fortunately, none of them are missing, the snake must have eaten numerous hog badgers in the garden."

The snake resisted and slithered away to a nearby pond. A team of five rescuers and some villagers helped catch the large snake together. They were careful in handling it due to its size.

Eventually it was caught with the help of a spare wire loop. The team put it in a sack and will be released in its natural habitat far away from local residents. (yeah, right!)
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

Beware of snakes when the Chao Phraya river overflows, officials warn

https://thethaiger.com/news/national/be ... cials-warn

As Bangkok and Pathum Thani prepare for the Chao Phraya river to overflow, officials warn people affected by floods to look out for poisonous snakes, scorpions, and centipedes.

Water levels in the Chao Phraya river are reaching breaking point in lower central Thailand. The river is teeming with snakes which will flood into urban areas when the river overflows, warns Pathum Thani Provincial Organisation.

A snake-catching team has caught 80 snakes so far this rainy season in Pathum Thani province alone – from pit vipers to cobras to pythons.

Communities downstream, including Bangkok, are expected to flood as a large body of water makes its way southward from the north. The Chao Praya barrage in Chai Nat province – the main regulator of water from the north – increased its water discharge to 3,113 cubic metres per second on Sunday. It is the highest measurement so far this year.

Pathum Thani Provincial Organisation posted photos of the team capturing a snake with the following message…

“The municipality would like to warn residents affected by floods – please be careful of the danger presented by poisonous animals like snakes, centipedes, and scorpions that attempt to escape the water by hiding in dark corners of your home. If you get bitten or stung it could be life-threatening.”

If you do get bitten by a poisonous snake, there’s a chance you will survive, but only if you act fast. Read the Thaiger‘s guide on ‘What to do if you get bitten by a snake in Thailand‘ just in case.

Monsoon season is expected to linger a little longer this year. Floods continue to disrupt life in central, north and northeast Thailand. In some parts of Ubon Ratchathani province, houses are completely submerged.

If you are affected by the flooding and need urgent assistance, contact the Thai Government’s English-speaking Tourist Police, who can be reached nationwide by dialling 1155.
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

What to do if you get bitten by a snake in Thailand

https://thethaiger.com/guides/what-to-d ... n-thailand

Tropical Thailand is home to over 200 species of snakes, more than 60 of which are considered venomous and a danger to humans. Snakes don’t usually attack unless provoked or threatened, but it doesn’t hurt to be aware of how to deal with a snake bite if you live or are travelling to the Land of Sssmiles. The way a snake bite is handled could mean the difference between life and death.

The chances of crossing paths with a serpent in Thailand are slightly higher in rainy season when some snakes take shelter from the stormy weather by slithering into people’s homes. Snakes like to hide, so it’s a good idea to keep your house free of clutter so you don’t accidentally disturb a cobra curled up in your washing pile.

Make yourself familiar with the characteristics of Thailand’s most venomous and dangerous snakes. If you see one, do not attempt to handle it yourself. Admire its beauty from a safe distance.

Thailand’s most venomous snakes include cobras (monocled cobra, king cobra, siamese spitting cobra), kraits (Malayan krait, banded krait, red-headed krait, and many-banded krait), some species of keelbacks (red-necked keelback, green keelback, speckle-headed keelback, blue-necked keelback), and vipers (Malayan pit viper, Eastern Russell’s viper, white-lipped pit viper, big-eyed pit viper and many more).

Many species look similar. Swelling or change in colour in and around the bite area indicates that the snake was venomous.

If you get bitten by a snake (venomous or not), take the following steps…

Stay calm. Even if a venomous snake bites you, it might not release venom. If venom does enter the body, it can take 30 minutes for severe symptoms to arise.

Rinse the bite wound with clean water (if you have some). Do NOT: cut the wound, use electrical items on the wound, put ice on the wound, put herbal medicine on the wound, drink alcohol, or take painkillers containing aspirin.

Keep still. Minimise movement of the body, especially in the area of the bite wound. For example, if you get bitten on your hand, keep it still. Movement causes more venom to be absorbed and causes the venom to travel around the body.

Do NOT attempt to suck the venom from the wound. This is a common myth about avoiding fatal snake bites. It is not proven to remove the venom from the body and could increase the damage at the bite site.

Get to the nearest hospital as soon as possible. If the snake bite victim stops breathing before arriving at the hospital, first aid should be performed on them. Some venomous snakes such as cobras, king cobras, and kraits have venom which paralyses the human body. Deaths that occur as a result of bites from such snakes are usually due to cessation of breathing. To call an ambulance, call Thailand’s emergency ambulance hotline on 1669.

If you get bitten, it is important to try and remember the characteristics of the snake. Doctors prescribe different antivenoms depending on the species of snake, so it is crucial to know what kind of snake it is to get the right treatment.

Snake bite victims may find it hard to remember what the snake looked like due to stress and also because snakes can be quick. You’re more likely to remember if you’re clued up on snakes. There are various snake identification groups on Facebook which are great to follow if you want to familiarise yourself with Thailand’s snakes. The main groups include Snakes of Isaan, Snakes of Bangkok, Snakes of Phuket, and Snakes of Pattaya. (Sub-links at link)

If you’re serious about herpetology, the book ‘A Naturalist’s Guide to the Snakes of Southeast Asia’ by Indraneil Das is an essential purchase. The book teaches how to correctly identify and differentiate species of snakes in Thailand and Southeast Asia.

You’re more likely to come across snakes in rural areas of Thailand. Although, Bangkok is also home to snakes. Yesterday, a Thai woman took to Facebook to complain about how a shopping mall in Bangkok refused to take responsibility after she was bitten by a venomous red-tailed pit viper in the mall’s car park. Her foot was very swollen and most likely painful, but she did survive.

Every year, around 2,500 people die from snake bites in southeast Asia. Globally, around 81,000 – 138,000 people die from snake bites each year, according to the World Health Organisation.

The best way to avoid a trip to the hospital (or worse) is to let snakes do their thing. If you see a snake in Thailand, stay calm and stay away from it. It might bite you if you hiss it off.

SOURCE: Ejan
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

So what's this then?

A puzzled young man, a monster, looking like a great-grandchild, with 4 legs but a long tail resembling a snake, chasing away and fighting people. What's this?

https://www.msn.com/th-th/news/national ... 576c0cc50c

Image from Jiraphan Disingh
Image from Jiraphan Disingh
AA13ZnkP.jpg (49.8 KiB) Viewed 20368 times
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

I've seen them before - a variety of lizard. A type of skink maybe?

Points 48; Position 20