The Rugby Thread

Discussion on sports not relating to Hua Hin; football, rugby, motorsports, fantasy leagues and armchair sports fans meet here.
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Re: The Rugby Thread

Post by dtaai-maai »

404cameljockey wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 4:54 pm
dtaai-maai wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 3:30 am
pharvey wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 12:33 am Unfortunately, I completely missed the first half....
Are you not going to share with the forum the reason why you missed it...? 8) :laugh:
If it were me (having gone to sleep and missed a whole match sometimes) the answer would be boring. So yes, I'd love to know too!
It looks like you and Pietro have a lot in common!! :laugh: :laugh:
This is the way
404cameljockey
Ace
Ace

Post by 404cameljockey »

dtaai-maai wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 5:40 pm

Are you not going to share with the forum the reason why you missed it...? 8) :laugh:
If it were me (having gone to sleep and missed a whole match sometimes) the answer would be boring. So yes, I'd love to know too!
Well, we probably both like Feelingfoul Double Dragon (a beer).
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

dtaai-maai wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 5:40 pm

Oh the reason was indeed boring.... I'd not slept well the night before and decided on a cheeky kip prior to the rugby to ensure I was "compos mentis" for the match and could last out the NFL Superbowl later that night/early morning. Well that was a dull-arsed decision in itself - not only did I "over-kip" (I invent words DM) and miss the first 45 odd minutes of the rugby, I suffered 90+ minutes of a bizarre spectacle that apparently millions refer to as a sport :shock: It's 90+ minutes that I'll never get back and I barely managed to get through to Halftime (even enduring the "Black National Anthem" - WTF?). The truly sad thing is, I missed 45 minutes of rugby to do it!! :roll:

As an aside - sorry PeteC et al - I tried, I truly did..... Just not sure the NFL is for me.

:cheers: :cheers:
"Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things" - Yma o Hyd.
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

After a "Fallow Week", proper rugby is upon us yet again!! :clap: :dance: :clap:

The "Lillywhites" are moaning that they have injuries - Erm, What/who/when? Players coming in, especially the like of Tuilagi who I class as a brainless thug but admittedly is a hell of a rugby player. It's a truly strong squad on paper - when isn't it with the pool of players to select from? New tactics (defence for one) need time, but they'll be contenders come RWC 2027. Their match against the Scots this weekend will end any notion of a Grand Slam (be fair, lucky against Wales and stuttered vs Italy). England have the forward power, but Scotland will crucify any defensive errors out wide - and of course, the "Red Rose" is adored at Murrayfield isn't it... :wink:

Wales are building and have done well in the last couple of games - the Irish will be a different matter entirely. I'm a very proud Welshman and will always bet with my heart - unfortunately, the Paddies are on a different level to anyone at the moment and have massive strength in depth. The huge issue for Wales is that Ioan Lloyd (if picked) is going to be targeted and mullered - zero ball outside him. The Welsh Backrow is decent and will certainly compete provided we select the Front 5 that should be.... At Hooker, do you pick someone who can't throw but is solid in the scrum and maul, or do you pick a mobile (but can't scrummage), Hooker that will pinpoint his Lineout jumpers? Can't win a scrum vs can't win a lineout? The Irish (well they make up at least 30% of the team) will no doubt be overwhelming favourites, but I just want to see Wales moving forward, going for it - hell, anything can happen!! :thumb: :bow:

Italy have lost Backrow players and now their Flyhalf - all was looking good :( I dearly hope they can pull something out against France, but it's doubtful - despite the likes of Lynagh joining their ranks from the 'Queens club in Lah-De-Dah Twickerland (Harlequins to the unposh non-wearing Tweed Jacket brigade :D ).

Heart over Mind - Scotland, Wales, Italy.
Mind over Heart - Scotland, Ireland, France.

dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Post by dtaai-maai »

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/68197294
Wales will face world champions South Africa on 22 June at Twickenham before travelling to Australia for a two-Test series.
The Twickenham tie is a double-header with Wales and the Springboks kicking off at 14:00 BST, followed by Barbarians v Fiji at 17:15.
Aww, that'll be nice for the Welsh lads, a chance to play at their much loved home from home... :laugh: :cheers:
This is the way
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

dtaai-maai wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 7:13 pm Aww, that'll be nice for the Welsh lads, a chance to play at their much loved home from home... :laugh: :cheers:
Indeed - fecking unbelievable. Booking out the National Stadium for the odd "Pop Star" then trying to tap up London's SA population whilst bunging the RFU and Lah-de-Dah land several quid... The WRU's list of priorities has gone somewhat amiss. Money simply goes to the blazer wearing brigade rather than to Welsh Rugby where it is desperately needed!

Sad really... :roll: :(
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

A bit more on the "Smart Gumshields" mentioned previously.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/68236157
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

Rugby galore this weekend :thumb: :clap: :dance: :clap: BUT, the LHG has restricted me to only 2 or 3 matches :roll: :cry: I do however have a cunning plan (recording, headphones and sneaking around in the early hours involved)!! :thumb: Seriously though, I don't understand the problem - even my English neighbour says he can now swear in Welsh (though the LHG swears he was not giving a compliment!).

The 6 Nations, the Under 20's 6 Nations, Super Rugby Pacific it's all on!!

https://www.wheresthematch.com/live-rugby-union-on-tv/

dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Post by dtaai-maai »

pharvey wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 8:00 pm Rugby galore this weekend :thumb: :clap: :dance: :clap: :thumb: ...
Well, there's a few of those that are easily struck off the list for me, but that still leaves a surplus of rugby for the weekend. And, there's the cricket in India to take into account! :shock:
... BUT, the LHG has restricted me to only 2 or 3 matches :roll: :cry: I do however have a cunning plan (recording, headphones and sneaking around in the early hours involved)!!
:lach: :lach: :lach:
Do you remember the Brian Rix farces? :laugh: :cheers:
This is the way
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

dtaai-maai wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 11:36 pm Well, there's a few of those that are easily struck off the list for me, but that still leaves a surplus of rugby for the weekend.
Oh indeed, plenty to go around!! :thumb:
dtaai-maai wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 11:36 pm And, there's the cricket in India to take into account! :shock:
Christ, I thought you'd be avoiding that like the plague after recent "results".... :tsk:
dtaai-maai wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 11:36 pm Do you remember the Brian Rix farces? :laugh: :cheers:
A tad before my time, but he was one of the Old Man's favorites - I've certainly seen some, but couldn't tell you which!!

dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Post by dtaai-maai »

pharvey wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 4:46 pm
dtaai-maai wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 11:36 pm And, there's the cricket in India to take into account! :shock:
Christ, I thought you'd be avoiding that like the plague after recent "results".... :tsk:
Have you stopped watching Welsh rugby then... :naughty: :duck:
This is the way
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

dtaai-maai wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 5:23 pm
pharvey wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 4:46 pm
Have you stopped watching Welsh rugby then... :naughty: :duck:
Oh that hurt..... No need to twist the knife DM, how could you?! COME ON THE SWEATIES!! :thumb: :wink:
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

dtaai-maai wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 7:13 pm https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/68197294
Wales will face world champions South Africa on 22 June at Twickenham before travelling to Australia for a two-Test series.
The Twickenham tie is a double-header with Wales and the Springboks kicking off at 14:00 BST, followed by Barbarians v Fiji at 17:15.
Aww, that'll be nice for the Welsh lads, a chance to play at their much loved home from home... :laugh: :cheers:
Yup... And this sums up the money making, blazer wearing pricks...

"A raft of top players could be unavailable for Wales' glamour clash against South Africa in June. The match falls outside of the official international window and has also been scheduled on the day of the URC final.

While it's highly unlikely any Welsh teams will be involved in the final, some of South Africa's top players may well be, with the Bulls performing strongly and the Stormers having reached the past two finals. Any players involved in the final will not feature in the Test match.

The fact the game also sits outside of the official Test window in July means players playing for teams outside of their respective countries will not be required to be released by their clubs under World Rugby regulation 9. That means the likes of Wales captain Dafydd Jenkins, Tommy Reffell, Nick Tompkins and Will Rowlands could all be unavailable as they play in England or France. Likewise, players such as Siya Kolisi could well be missing for the Springboks."

FFS... :cuss: :banghead:
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

Well, that was depressing viewing for Welsh supporters!! We're playing a top side going for their 3rd consecutive Grand Slam at this level, have a significant injury to one member of the forwards and "rest" our standout performer and Number 8. Two daft Yellow Cards (one in each half) just compounded the misery.... :( I just hope this afternoon's match isn't so one sided, though it's going to be one hell of a task - the senior Irish side have not lost at home for 3 years and have won 38 of their last 40 matches on home soil.....

Anywho, back to the U20's - England with a big win over the Scots. The "English" pack is immense, it's amazing the extra size those Pacific Islanders and African Nations bring to the pack :wink: Scotland were quite literally marched off the park. I'm hoping for quite the opposite later today!! :duck:

The Italians pulled off a major shock in Béziers, beating France away to secure their first win..
U20s.png
(148.87 KiB) Downloaded 93 times
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

Super Rugby opening day was a mess IMO. I have to learn who everyone is again. Many veterans gone, new players, new coaches, and the normal chaos and sloppy play of the first match of the season. One match still going (Reds/Waratahs from Australia), so I'll post results later. :cheers:
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source