Good ground coffee brand?

Restaurants, food, beverage, hawkers, and local markets and suppliers. This is the place for discussion on Hua Hin's culinary options.
Kumiankka
Amateur
Amateur

Good ground coffee brand?

Post by Kumiankka »

I'm one of those, who just can't get their engine runnign, before the first cup of good coffee in the morning. Now I'm coming to HH for few weeks and need your advice of decend ground coffee brand available locally. I have a filter coffeemaker @ the villa I have hired, not any fancy perssurized "asspresso" thingys. I like my coffee strong but smooth, not very bitter.

And NO, any instant stuff will not be an option. It will just ruin the whole day for me and anyone unfortunate enough to get on my way. I'll be grumpy, touchy, aggressive and have headache and trembling hands.
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Re: Good ground coffee brand?

Post by Dannie Boy »

Kumiankka wrote:I'm one of those, who just can't get their engine runnign, before the first cup of good coffee in the morning. Now I'm coming to HH for few weeks and need your advice of decend ground coffee brand available locally. I have a filter coffeemaker @ the villa I have hired, not any fancy perssurized "asspresso" thingys. I like my coffee strong but smooth, not very bitter.

And NO, any instant stuff will not be an option. It will just ruin the whole day for me and anyone unfortunate enough to get on my way. I'll be grumpy, touchy, aggressive and have headache and trembling hands.
Makro in HH have a range of "BONCAFE" coffees and at least one of them should fit the bill without breaking the bank. Makro also stock plenty of other brands, so you should be ok there, although I think you will need a temporary membership to be able to buy there.
Angelique

Post by Angelique »

Hi, Kumiankka,
I think you have hired a villa from same area where I live, -remember to seen that in some of your posts.
But if you want wake up with Juhlamokka (and dont want to carry it by yourself):))) I can sell you couple of packets.
Don't know when you come, I'm now visiting in Finland but will be back HH 19.6. -maybe too late?
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Post by dtaai-maai »

Dannie Boy wrote: Makro also stock plenty of other brands, so you should be ok there, although I think you will need a temporary membership to be able to buy there.
Not so, all you need is cash! :cheers:
This is the way
Takiap
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Takiap »

dtaai-maai wrote:
Dannie Boy wrote: Makro also stock plenty of other brands, so you should be ok there, although I think you will need a temporary membership to be able to buy there.
Not so, all you need is cash! :cheers:

That's correct. In fact I don't even know why they issue cards. Do card holders get special discounts or loyalty points?

:cheers:
Don't try to impress me with your manner of dress cos a monkey himself is a monkey no less - cold fact
Arlo
Professional
Professional

Post by Arlo »

Bring your favorite brand from home.
Kumiankka
Amateur
Amateur

Post by Kumiankka »

Angelique: I will definitely bring a emergency pack from Finland. (BTW we will arrive to SHV2 @ 16.6 and stay there for 4 weeks)

It's also one fun of traveling to find new tastes. Maybe even take some back home. But with coffee, it's always easier, if you have some info when you hit the shelf at store. I'v had my share of interesting coffee experiences around the world. For example couple of years ago I lost my hearth to "Bali Kopi", the balinese local brew. When leaving home, I stuffed every available cranny and nook in my suitcase with coffe packets. Hev been missing that stuff ever since.
Siani
Legend
Legend

Post by Siani »

Lavazza, you might get it in the coffee shop down from the Hilton on the right as you go towards the piers. They sell the coffee they so may sell packets as well if you ask.
Angelique

Post by Angelique »

Kumiankka, I fully understand you :)
But sure wee see there, you identify me at least when see me walking with my 2 small Bichon Havanaise -dog's (black&white)
Before I arrive, my husband maybe walks with them -at least i hope he does....

Hope you have great time in SHV2
sateeb
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by sateeb »

Siani wrote:Lavazza, you might get it in the coffee shop down from the Hilton on the right as you go towards the piers. They sell the coffee they so may sell packets as well if you ask.

Great idea :banghead: .....Lavazza is fundamentally an Espresso Coffee which the OP specifically didn't want..So pay upwards of 500baht to put a speciality coffee in a bog standard coffee maker :laugh:
“Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.”

― George Carlin
“The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.” -George Orwell.
richard
Deceased
Deceased

Post by richard »

OP

I'm not a coffee freak so a few morning jaunts as opposed to every day

Get my Beans from Villa market and grind and french press. Excellent. VM have most flavours and I go for French, German or Italian blends. I like my coffee strong (espresso style)
RICHARD OF LOXLEY

It’s none of my business what people say and think of me. I am what I am and do what I do. I expect nothing and accept everything. It makes life so much easier.
Siani
Legend
Legend

Post by Siani »

sateeb wrote:
Siani wrote:Lavazza, you might get it in the coffee shop down from the Hilton on the right as you go towards the piers. They sell the coffee they so may sell packets as well if you ask.

Great idea :banghead: .....Lavazza is fundamentally an Espresso Coffee which the OP specifically didn't want..So pay upwards of 500baht to put a speciality coffee in a bog standard coffee maker :laugh:

Lavazza is not just espresso coffee :) You can use it in filtered coffee, I do. I also use it in a cafetiere, no problem at all. The OP said they like their coffee strong, so this is a good one. Also they have on offer Top Class, Super Crema, Crema e Gusto, Grand'Espresso, Dek (decaffeinated), and coffee pods A Modo Mio. :thumb:
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

Dannie Boy wrote:
Kumiankka wrote:I'm one of those, who just can't get their engine runnign, before the first cup of good coffee in the morning. Now I'm coming to HH for few weeks and need your advice of decend ground coffee brand available locally. I have a filter coffeemaker @ the villa I have hired, not any fancy perssurized "asspresso" thingys. I like my coffee strong but smooth, not very bitter.

Makro in HH have a range of "BONCAFE" coffees and at least one of them should fit the bill without breaking the bank. Makro also stock plenty of other brands, so you should be ok there, although I think you will need a temporary membership to be able to buy there.
The BONCAFE brand has about 5 different varieties to choose from and range from less than 100 baht to about 150 baht for a 250gm pack and that includes fairly strong but not too bitter types that the OP said he preferred.
Hezze
Amateur
Amateur

Post by Hezze »

Almost every store sells VPP coffee. A little over 100 bath for 250 gr bags. Executive blend, 100 % arabica beans. Excellent taste!
johnnyk
Legend
Legend

Post by johnnyk »

The bakery in the soi by the green supermarket just across the railway tracks.
Happiness can't buy money