Golf Memberships

Sub-forum for discussion on golf in Hua Hin and Thailand.
andrewfr
Novice
Novice

Re: Golf Memberships

Post by andrewfr »

My partners and I are looking for a house and/or property in Hua Hin. Please let me know the size and price of your Lakeview plot. We have considered Palm Hills but hear mixed opinions on the management etc. Do you think this is a good place to buy a house? (We are not real estate agents!)

Best,

Andrew
andrewfr "at" fitzw "dot "com
T.I.G.R.
Guru
Guru

Post by T.I.G.R. »

[Mod Edit] Please see previous Mod Edit for reasons.
malcolminthemiddle
Guru
Guru

Post by malcolminthemiddle »

Palm Hills Residents Association is actively pursuing their right under Thai legislation to own and manage the common areas.

Quite a few re-sale bargains available at Palm Hills at the moment, as there are all around HH.
dws
Amateur
Amateur

Post by dws »

Guys....

Any update on what's going on at Majestic? I heard they had put in a new foreign Golf Pro to manage it....& now I hear that said Golf Pro is gone...!!??

& they looking to sell memberships?

Alarm Bells anyone???
heartofmidlothian
Professional
Professional

Post by heartofmidlothian »

Sounds very interesting, what's going on at Majestic! I have been away for 2 months but I look forward to having a look at Majestic when I get back soon. Has anyone played it recently? How are the new greens doing? Will they really be prepared to spend the extra money on maintenance, to keep the course in top condition, as Black Mountain and Banyan do. Spending the money to build new greens is one thing, but will they really understand just how much it costs to maintain a golf course properly - it is an expensive business. They would also have to bring in a well qualified greenkeeper, who would want a good salary.
Anyone who has played it a lot will realise that it has great potential. Going to be very difficult for any foreign golf pro to go there and tell the owners what to do. Owners always tend to think they know best and you have to be a "yes" man to survive.
Anyway, let's hope the owner knows what he is doing and actually has the sense to offer the "farangs" what they want, because that is his market. If he does that, it will work, if he doesn't, it will not. The Thais that play there pay buttons to play it!
Black Mountain and Banyan have already made it obvious that they only want the "rich". There are a huge amount of golfers in Hua Hin, who have some money, but won't pay over the odds. Presently, our only good options are Springfield and Palm Hills, but both are too full up with members. Palm Hills greens are too impossible to putt for me, so really only have Springfield!
So let's hope that the owner at Majestic does it right and he could very quickly have a busy course, with a few hundred members and plenty of tourist green fee players. It just needs golfing common sense, but unfortunately, that is rare in Thailand!
Mrock

Post by Mrock »

Black Mountain has the most stable ownership of all the course around Hua Hin.
Thats my humble biased experienced opinion.
Cheap people pay twice!
Pay a little extra now and you will reap the rewards later.

heartofmidlothhian....I'm not rich and Black Mountain welcomed me no problem.

Black Mountain maybe a little of town but a small problem for all the benefits you will get.
PET
Legend
Legend

Post by PET »

Mrock wrote:Black Mountain has the most stable ownership of all the course around Hua Hin.
Cheap people pay twice!

Black Mountain maybe a little of town but a small problem for all the benefits you will get.

Please correct me if I am wrong but I thought BM membership was restricted to homeowners and those who paid Bht 50 million ( that was the price ) for the houses overlooking holes 10 and 11 and who were given free membership. For those owners who purchased a condominium or one of those new houses crammed together near the entrance, it is Bht 1million per person. I would guess that the vast majority of residents would consider this expensive.

BM is well away from town and I am not sure about it being 'a small problem for all the benefits you will get' - such as?

Having said the above I do agree that in Hua Hin it is the best managed, has the best golf club facilities and it is a pleasure to have an occasional lunch overlooking the course - don't know about dinner and if that is popular?

They are also improving the original course design which was needed ( blind shots etc )
Courage is grace under pressure and when circumstances change you change your mind.
PET
Legend
Legend

Post by PET »

dws wrote:Guys....

Any update on what's going on at Majestic? I heard they had put in a new foreign Golf Pro to manage it....& now I hear that said Golf Pro is gone...!!??

& they looking to sell memberships?

Alarm Bells anyone???

Re the Farang, I was told that he was provided accommodation at the club hotel plus driver transport. He went into town and returned with a BG in skimpy clothes, who the next day was at breakfast and generally seen around. I am not sure if that day or the next she was seen by the owner and said Farang was given 2 hours to remove himself - the word dumb springs to mind !!
Courage is grace under pressure and when circumstances change you change your mind.
Mrock

Post by Mrock »

PET wrote:
Mrock wrote:Black Mountain has the most stable ownership of all the course around Hua Hin.
Cheap people pay twice!

Please correct me if I am wrong but I thought BM membership was restricted to homeowners and those who paid Bht 50 million ( that was the price ) for the houses overlooking holes 10 and 11 and who were given free membership. For those owners who purchased a condominium or one of those new houses crammed together near the entrance, it is Bht 1million per person. I would guess that the vast majority of residents would consider this expensive.

BM is well away from town and I am not sure about it being 'a small problem for all the benefits you will get' - such as?

Having said the above I do agree that in Hua Hin it is the best managed, has the best golf club facilities and it is a pleasure to have an occasional lunch overlooking the course - don't know about dinner and if that is popular?

They are also improving the original course design which was needed ( blind shots etc )
Benefits:
1. Strong ownership with money. A great deal of care about the quality of the course and everything around it.
Most posts on here are bitching about condition of the course and terrible management! Agree?

2. Members tournaments and Activities. Formal and Informal. Vip for such things as the Royal Trophy and all others.
Another complaint I here frequently.

3. Quality of the over all place.
Can't be beat.

4. Depending on what part of Hua Hin you want to go to. 9-14km. Not for everyone I know.
Do it on my bike almost everyday. Do you really want to go to town everyday?
Free shuttle to town.
Cheap Taxi back. 300B
How far from town is SF, Majestic, Imperial, Palm? Banyan is closer but Banyan is Banyan.

5. Membership costs.
Sellable, transferable, willable. Includes par 3 How much will memberships be in 2-5-10 years from now? Good investment??
Not cheap but you get what you pay for.

6. Waterpark, Wake board, tennis, mini golf, par 3, pools, great practice facility, Awesome food in the restaurant.

7. More houses and businesses in the area. More competition and variety.

8. Lots of great people. Easy to do a round with any of them. Well, most.

I bought one of those crammed together houses near the entrance across from the par 3 with a great view.
Ya, a little tight together. A bigger yard would be nicer. Most of the houses are not occupied 12 months of the year which is nice for privacy.

I know its not for everybody. Just my opinion on the place and places mentioned.

If we all lived at the same course there would only be one and that would be shitty!!

I just want to see a few more good members join the place.
JW
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by JW »

Another Lake View available at 80k.
sateeb
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by sateeb »

Mrock wrote:
PET wrote:
Cheap people pay twice!

Benefits:
1. Strong ownership with money. A great deal of care about the quality of the course and everything around it.
Most posts on here are bitching about condition of the course and terrible management! Agree?

2. Members tournaments and Activities. Formal and Informal. Vip for such things as the Royal Trophy and all others.
Another complaint I here frequently.

3. Quality of the over all place.
Can't be beat.

4. Depending on what part of Hua Hin you want to go to. 9-14km. Not for everyone I know.
Do it on my bike almost everyday. Do you really want to go to town everyday?
Free shuttle to town.
Cheap Taxi back. 300B
How far from town is SF, Majestic, Imperial, Palm? Banyan is closer but Banyan is Banyan.

5. Membership costs.
Sellable, transferable, willable. Includes par 3 How much will memberships be in 2-5-10 years from now? Good investment??
Not cheap but you get what you pay for.

6. Waterpark, Wake board, tennis, mini golf, par 3, pools, great practice facility, Awesome food in the restaurant.

7. More houses and businesses in the area. More competition and variety.

8. Lots of great people. Easy to do a round with any of them. Well, most.

I bought one of those crammed together houses near the entrance across from the par 3 with a great view.
Ya, a little tight together. A bigger yard would be nicer. Most of the houses are not occupied 12 months of the year which is nice for privacy.

I know its not for everybody. Just my opinion on the place and places mentioned.

If we all lived at the same course there would only be one and that would be shitty!!

I just want to see a few more good members join the place.

You didn't answer the original question.....I see that you own one of the houses across from the Par 3...so is home ownership ON BMGC a pre requisite for obtaining a membership at said club???

A simple yes or no will suffice... :cheers:
“Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.”

― George Carlin
“The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.” -George Orwell.
aragon
Professional
Professional

Post by aragon »

Mrock wrote:How far from town is SF, Majestic, Imperial, Palm? Banyan is closer but Banyan is Banyan.
As a matter of interest, would you care to elaborate on what you mean by "...but Banyan is Banyan". :cheers:
“He has all the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire.” Sir Winston Churchill

Life isn't like a bowl of cherries or peaches, it's more like a jar of Jalapenos--what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow......
JW
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by JW »

Hi Sateeb,

You have to own a property to get a membership at BMG, the small viilas get a membership.
:thumb:
heartofmidlothian
Professional
Professional

Post by heartofmidlothian »

Thanks for your post Mrock - good to have some debate over golf memberships for the local residents and regular visitors. I agree that Black Mountain is the best golfing facility in Hua Hin area and you are obviously very happy with your purchase. So once you bought your house, was it 1 million for your membership? What are the annual dues?
Still couldn't justify 1 million (plus a house) at BMG or 800 000 baht at Banyan when you compare it to about 400 000 baht at Springfield, despite Springfield's failings.
We are just desperate for a better option, for golf, in this area! Majestic could be that better option but unlikely I guess. There is always the possibility that another golf course may come along in the future. No reason why other golf courses can't be well maintained and well managed, without charging so much. Having worked at Black Mountain for 16 months, I am aware of the demand for golf from tourists and residents - it is huge. I know that the vast majority hate compulsory carts, hate 1 cart per person, a large percentage would like optional caddies and membership rates and green fees that the majority can afford. Sorry Mrock, but if you can afford Black Mountain membership, then you are richer than most (without wanting to offend).
Before Black Mountain opened, I spent many hours debating with the owner about the green fees. He wanted to charge 4000 baht and didn't want to offer rates to the local societies because he didn't feel that the locals were his customers. After opening in April 2007 and being very quiet, he finally agreed to let the societies play for 1000 baht - which he still offers. At least I made him understand that the locals are important.
I would love to hear from you all - what membership fees and annual dues do you think are right for Hua Hin area? What should the green fees be? Would optional caddies be a good thing? Plenty to debate here, and you never know, maybe Majestic might do something really strange and actually listen to their potential customers! Okay, I know I'm just dreaming!
SunandFun
Guru
Guru

Post by SunandFun »

When we were looking at property, Black Mountain and Banyan were similar. At BM, you get 1 Family Lifetime Membership with a Condo or purchasing a Plot of Land (not the Villa). I think there is some requirement that you have to construct from one of their plans within a certain timeframe, say 2 years (guessing). At Banyan, you get 1 Family Lifetime Membership with a Villa or a Condo. This could have changed, but this is about 1 year old. If any one can clarify what is the present requirements, it would be useful for this thread.
I wouldn't have to manage my anger if people could learn to mange their stupidity!