The Pick-Up Truck Thread

Driving and riding in Hua Hin and Thailand, all topics on cars, pickups, bikes, boats, licenses, roads, and motoring in general.
Big Boy

Re: Which Pick-Up Truck?

Post by Big Boy »

Thanks, but because of my size I need to sit in it to make sure I have enough room. One problem I have is with 'extras'. Extras take up room, and often squeeze me out. As an example I often drove hired Ford Mondeos in the UK with no problem. Then one week they upgraded me to a top of the range Scorpio (Granada) - I couldn't drive it.
Championship Stoke City 3 - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 48; Position 20
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

Just a few comments. Unless design change, the Triton P/U and Pajero Sport SUV has the 4WD shift lever directly to the left of the drivers seat. If you have big thighs your left leg will be on top of it which makes for uncomfortable driving.

Many threads in the past BB you seemed to like the Isuzu. They've done some facelifting and the lines are much better now IMO than in the past.

With the Ford Ranger you may have a long wait time, up to 3 months. That was the case I read about a few months back but not sure if the same now. Their factory here in Rayong is at full capacity as many orders for the Ranger and their other models. A second factory is being built.

As far as waiting time I would think Toyota is the least with Isuzu second.

Service locations and expertise is a big concern. Toyota first, Isuzu second, with Ford, Chevy, Mitsu and others a very distant third, not including Honda which is by far #1 IMO, but no P/U in the line up yet in Thailand. They have one in North America now per what someone told me. Pete :cheers:
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
VincentD
Ace
Ace

Post by VincentD »

BB, Bangkok Post had a comparison between the Ranger and the Colorado, saw it yesterday. Posting the link below:
http://www.bangkokpost.com/auto/autorev ... can-trucks

The Ranger certainly looks tempting. Saw one on the road yesterday with red plates. Would be worth it if Ford have improved their spares/ supply chain. (From previous Ford ownership in Thailand)

With regard to Spitfire's comment, the Vigo I drove was one of the raised ones; it did come with what they call a 'Smartcab' configuration - normal doors in front and 'suicide style' doors opening from the front once you have the front doors open.
Yes, good view forward when driving, but I get annoyed when you have people sitting in the truck bed; it's disconcerting when they move around and you catch that movement in your peripheral vision and almost react until you realise what it is. Very tiring. If you adjust the mirror above the truck bed you can't see the road and have to rely on your wing mirrors..

So as you can see I'm not much of a pick-up fan. I went middle-of-the-road and got the X-trail - high up enough with a completely enclosed passenger and cargo space and part-time 4WD. In a pinch, extended family are quite happy to sit in the cargo area in airconditioned comfort; I keep a folding mat there for just that purpose. :wink:

Steve G, BB: I can emphatize with the 'other' function though, which is piling the other ten members of the extended family in the back.. the reason for using the Vigo that day. :)
วินเชนท์
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

I appreciate what you say about extended family in the back, but I can assure you that such would be the exception rather than the rule - even then, only on local journeys. We don't get on well enough with the extended for it to be any more regular than that. :wink:

Points 48; Position 20
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

We don't get on well enough with the extended for it to be any more regular than that.
It's the same with most people, that's why they go in the back!
bazza
Amateur
Amateur

Post by bazza »

I tried all the pick ups runner up was the Toyota better styling than old but that's it, the same old chassis. My choice was the Ford Ranger for the 2.2 smooth yet not sluggish engine. Lots of cabin space and build quality second to none. Take a test drive the six speed auto four door is by far the best in my view. The only downside is the three months waiting time for delivery. The Mazda is similar but very few models have ABS I think a must with a pick up.
kendo
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by kendo »

F**ck me, the last time we had a three month plus waiting list was on the new Mini, it just go's too show a strong Thai economy and the piss poor Pound.

Kendo. :|
Is Bangkok a place or a nasty injury.......Eric Morcombe.

Proud to be a Southampton FC Fan.
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

kendo wrote:F**ck me, the last time we had a three month plus waiting list was on the new Mini, it just go's too show a strong Thai economy and the piss poor Pound.

Kendo. :|
It has nothing to do with the economy, kendo. It is the carry over effect from the floods that has production behind, plus the export market takes precedence over the local market. :cheers:
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

Toyota were quoting several months for a Fortuner even before the flood and I think my neighbour is still waiting for one ordered then.
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

STEVE G wrote:Toyota were quoting several months for a Fortuner even before the flood and I think my neighbour is still waiting for one ordered then.
Industry capacity utilisation only 60%

http://www.bangkokpost.com/breakingnews ... on-only-60

The industry sector is now utilising only 60 per cent of its production capacity, Tanit Sorat, vice chairman of the Federation of Thai Industries (FTI), said on Wednesday.

Mr Tanit attributed the low capacity utilisation to the impact of the great flood late last year, slow growth in the US and the debt crisis in Greece, which had affected the country’s exports, the low purchasing power of Thai people and the problem of a labour shortage.

Many manufacturers were not able to expand their production capacity even though they were not among those flooded last year because they could not get the labour they need. It was estimated that industry was now lacking about 100,000 workers, he added.

More than 40 per cent of flooded industrial plants have yet to reopen their production lines. Out of 213 manufacturers in Rojana Industrial Park forced to close by the flood, only 56 were now back in full production capacity. About 82 plants had partly resumed operations and 42 of them were still closed. The remainder had moved to other areas or gone out of business, said Mr Tanit.

At Bang Pa In Industrial Estate, only 45 manufacturers out of the 90 flooded plants were back at full production, 10 of them were producing at a lower level and the remainder were still doing repairs, he said.

The FTI vice chairman expected all flood affected factories to gradually recover from next month onward.

How much production capacity would be utilised in the second half of the year would depend on the global and domestic economies, especially exports, he said.
.........................................................................................

It only needs one car component manufacturer to be behind in production to affect the whole of the industry. Although they will never admit it, you can also be sure that the Thai Government will be poking their nose into the ratio of car production that gets exported, to those for the domestic market.
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

Some incredible numbers whichever way it`s looked at:
............................................................................................
Car sales up 30.5% in April

http://www.bangkokpost.com/breakingnews ... 5-in-april

The total number of vehicle sales in April was up from last April by 30.5 per cent to 87,788 units, Wuttikorn Suriyachantananont, executive vice president of Toyota Motors (Thailand), said on Wednesday.

Sales of passenger cars increased 23.4 per cent, to 38,211 units, commercial vehicle sales went up 35.2 per cent to 49,132 units, and sales of one tonne pickups rose by 34.8 per cent to 42,163 units, he said.

Mr Wuttikorn attributed the increase in car sales to the recent Motor Show fair that boosted demand for cars and the fact flood-affected car makers have now reopened production lines and could deliver more ordered cars to clients.

total sales for the first four months of the year (Jan-April) stood at 367,109 units, up 20 per cent from the same period last year, he added.
VincentD
Ace
Ace

Post by VincentD »

Don't think you can attribute the increase to the motor show. I think what has happened is that many people who would have bought secondhand before the flood have decided to fork out more for a new vehicle for the peace of mind that they may not inadvertently buy a flood-damaged car.
วินเชนท์
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Thanks for your comments guys - much appreciated.

Although the Ford Ranger sounded like a contender, I've ruled it out because of the huge waiting list. This brings me down to a short list of Toyota or Isuzu. Next question please...... which are the best dealers in this area to deal with?

Points 48; Position 20
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

Big Boy wrote:Thanks for your comments guys - much appreciated.

Although the Ford Ranger sounded like a contender, I've ruled it out because of the huge waiting list. This brings me down to a short list of Toyota or Isuzu. Next question please...... which are the best dealers in this area to deal with?
Unless you consider hiring something else until the Ford arrives?