Birds of Thailand

Discussion on science, nature and technology across the globe.
PeteC

Re: Amazing Nature

Post by PeteC »

Please thank the jungle gourmets for their efforts. :laugh: When it's obvious what's going on is over, I'll open it up and try to determine what was in there. Stay tuned....but it may be weeks if there's baby somethings in there. :cheers:
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
joelle
Legend
Legend

Post by joelle »

PeteC wrote: Sat Aug 20, 2022 2:46 pm Okay, it's either a small bird (Hummingbird size) or a Thai variety of harvest mouse. It's definitely not ants. I don't want to disturb it or investigate too closely. Thoughts? :cheers:

FYI, that's a small self planted avocado tree in a pot.

S__2539536.jpg
Maybe you could ask Thai Biodiversity Survey & Species ID they have a Facebook page
https://m.facebook.com/groups/233562137 ... rdc=1&_rdr
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

I just saw this Joelle, thanks. I'll take a look at the site. :cheers:
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

joelle wrote: Tue Aug 23, 2022 7:10 am
PeteC wrote: Sat Aug 20, 2022 2:46 pm Okay, it's either a small bird (Hummingbird size) or a Thai variety of harvest mouse. It's definitely not ants. I don't want to disturb it or investigate too closely. Thoughts? :cheers:

S__2539536.jpg
Maybe you could ask Thai Biodiversity Survey & Species ID they have a Facebook page
I just today have posted it on there Joelle...having forgotten about it. :oops: Let's see what they say. The photo on their site did not render as large as on the forum here, so a bit hard to see. I haven't done anything to the nest yet as it hasn't changed in appearance, so I hesitate to dissect it.
joelle
Legend
Legend

Post by joelle »

PeteC wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 6:49 pm
joelle wrote: Tue Aug 23, 2022 7:10 am

S__2539536.jpg
I just today have posted it on there Joelle...having forgotten about it. :oops: Let's see what they say. The photo on their site did not render as large as on the forum here, so a bit hard to see. I haven't done anything to the nest yet as it hasn't changed in appearance, so I hesitate to dissect it.
let's hope someone will enlighten us :cheers:
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

The consensus on that FB site is that it's a "Tailorbird" nest. I've seen no activity as I'm not near it too often so no idea if any hatchings yet. They are very small birds! Google has a ton of photos of nests, birds and eggs, which are miniscule!
joelle
Legend
Legend

Post by joelle »

PeteC wrote: Tue Sep 13, 2022 12:31 pm The consensus on that FB site is that it's a "Tailorbird" nest. I've seen no activity as I'm not near it too often so no idea if any hatchings yet. They are very small birds! Google has a ton of photos of nests, birds and eggs, which are miniscule!
So this is probably also a Tailorbird's nest as it looks very similar to yours Pete
Found it yesterday in my lemon tree but no activity either
Attachments
received_438838971611679.jpeg
(208.15 KiB) Downloaded 3709 times
received_638507741237041.jpeg
(197.63 KiB) Downloaded 3709 times
received_2892214611085136.jpeg
(175.07 KiB) Downloaded 3709 times
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

Yes, that's the same. They're so small I think they come and go quickly and easy to miss. Eggs take 12 days to hatch so you need to watch. :cheers:

I'm going to move all of this to Birds of Thailand shortly
Big Boy

Re: Birds of Thailand

Post by Big Boy »

I didn't post a response because I didn't recognise it from your original photo, but I posted something similar a few years back viewtopic.php?f=46&t=24312
Championship Stoke City 3 - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 48; Position 20
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

A question for one of the experts please. It is no secret that I walk around Khao Tao Lake most mornings (a bit too damp this morning :D). I often see what I think is a Kingfisher (I think it's a Kingfisher because of it's bright blue rear end). However, they seem to come in 2 sizes - one not much bigger than a sparrow, and the other the size of a blackbird or larger. Is this a simple male/female scenario? Are there 2 varieties of Kingfisher? Is one of them not a Kingfisher?
Championship Stoke City 3 - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 48; Position 20
hhinner
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by hhinner »

Big Boy wrote:A question for one of the experts please. It is no secret that I walk around Khao Tao Lake most mornings (a bit too damp this morning :D). I often see what I think is a Kingfisher (I think it's a Kingfisher because of it's bright blue rear end). However, they seem to come in 2 sizes - one not much bigger than a sparrow, and the other the size of a blackbird or larger. Is this a simple male/female scenario? Are there 2 varieties of Kingfisher? Is one of them not a Kingfisher?
This Flickr album might help identify if they are kingfishers.
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

Like BB, we often get two distinct types of Kingfisher - one much larger than the other so I’m certain it’s not male/female but two different types
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

Hornbills fly again over Lampang Chae Son

https://thethaiger.com/hot-news/environ ... ional-park

Photo article best read at link.
hhinner
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by hhinner »

Anyone got any idea what this one might be? About the size of a bee-eater or bulbul. The forked tail suggests a swallow but I think the bird is too plain to be a swallow and maybe too big. Then there's the scaly pattern near the wing.
scalybird.jpg
scalybird.jpg (132.94 KiB) Viewed 4618 times
KhunLA
Guru
Guru

Post by KhunLA »