The SUV Thread

Driving and riding in Hua Hin and Thailand, all topics on cars, pickups, bikes, boats, licenses, roads, and motoring in general.
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Re: Buying a SUV?

Post by Dannie Boy »

I have been looking at the Pajero Sport and for the money it seems to be a very good buy indeed and will definitely be one (if not the first) that I take for a test drive.
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

cozza wrote:Anyone own one? Are they any good?
Depends what you mean by "good" :)

For simple reliability and long levity, you can not fault them. I have a D Max 4 door pickup,(not my main driver), and the MU-7 is based on the same chassis and mechanicals. Where most of the basic units such as Isuzu, Ford Everest and a couple of others fall down is; they all have leaf springs and drum brakes on the rear. Not necessarily a bad thing, but for road holding, handling and braking, they are very basic. Depends on what you want it to do, and where you are going to do it!
For what they are they fill a popular slot adequately. (If you are still in Oz they are badged by GMH and called Rodeo)
It is not until you drive something better that you realise the shortcomings!

Here is a site in English that lists most of them in the one place:

http://www.markmotorsthailand.com/mu7.html
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

Dannie Boy wrote:I have been looking at the Pajero Sport and for the money it seems to be a very good buy indeed and will definitely be one (if not the first) that I take for a test drive.
There's been some improvements with these things since my model. More cockpit bells and whistles, 3.2 diesel gone, replaced by I think a 2.5 but with a new turbo charged system that gives more power than the 3.2. Transmission is now 5 speed instead of 4. I've heard it has rear disk brakes now, but I haven't confirmed. Pete :cheers:
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
cozza
Professional
Professional

Post by cozza »

Nereus,

They stopped branding them Holden a couple years ago and are now Isuzu...the Colorado took the Holden badge, which is what police use now for their wagons.

I guess I am more worried about driving the car than what comes in the drivers compartment. I enjoy driving and like a fairly responsive vehicle that wont sway too much and stops quick, so how the car/vehicle drives is most important to me. Also, how thirsty a car is and of course servicing costs are important and cost of spare parts too. I dont really care about heated seats, bluetooth connectivity or other "distractions". Things like airbags and whats under the bonnet are my main concern.
hhfarang
Hero
Hero

Post by hhfarang »

I guess I am more worried about driving the car than what comes in the drivers compartment. I enjoy driving and like a fairly responsive vehicle that wont sway too much and stops quick, so how the car/vehicle drives is most important to me. Also, how thirsty a car is and of course servicing costs are important and cost of spare parts too.
The CRV fits your description IMO. Another consideration is service when on the road. I've driven my CRV to the farthest reaches of Issan a back a few times to the point where normal scheduled maintenance was due during the trip. It's always easy to find a Honda dealership even in small towns around the country. The Honda dealer service is surprisingly cheap, one of the few things I have found significantly cheaper and better here than back in the U.S.
My brain is like an Internet browser; 12 tabs are open and 5 of them are not responding, there's a GIF playing in an endless loop,... and where is that annoying music coming from?
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

From all of the advice that has been given, in my head the choice has been narrowed down to three - Pajero Sport, Honda CRV, or the Fortuner. I am sure they all have there good and bad points and the proof of the pudding will no doubt be the test drive as there doesnt seem to be a great deal of difference in the price, although the PS does have the edge, but it will have to feel right to get the nod and of course further factors like ease of servicing then come into play.

Sounds like an interesting and enjoyable exercise and glad that I sought everybody's advice - cheers.
crazy88
Deceased
Deceased

Post by crazy88 »

Always liked the CRV and the Escape. Driven the new MU7 and the Pajero and found both ok. I have a Vigo, no kids and a dog that gets carsick so no need for an SUV for me. The Audi q7 and the Cayenne magnum are pretty nice though if anyone fancies getting me an early birthday present? If that's a bit rich I'll settle for the Volvo :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

Crazy 88
Super Joe
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Super Joe »

Had a Fortuner and a Captiva, and although nothing wrong with Fortuner that I can think of, I'd go with the Captiva everytime.

Don't know the CRV's at all, but don't believe they are 7 seater's are they? the two above both have the fold down chairs in back. Didn't buy them for that reason at all but were very handy on occassions like when family come over to visit and 7-9 of you (couple of small kids) could go out in the one car.

A Captiva...
captivaseats_thumb.jpg
captivaseats_thumb.jpg (40.89 KiB) Viewed 2811 times

crazy88 wrote:The Audi q7 and the Cayenne magnum are pretty nice though if anyone fancies getting me an early birthday present? Crazy 88
Mate, they're bird's cars :D
DSCF0124b.JPG
:cheers:
SJ
hhfarang
Hero
Hero

Post by hhfarang »

^ Nope, the CRV is a 5 seater, but that doesn't keep 5 more Thai family members from sitting on the floor in the cargo compartment in back on short trips... :shock:
My brain is like an Internet browser; 12 tabs are open and 5 of them are not responding, there's a GIF playing in an endless loop,... and where is that annoying music coming from?
migrant
Addict
Addict

Post by migrant »

hhfarang wrote:^ Nope, the CRV is a 5 seater, but that doesn't keep 5 more Thai family members from sitting on the floor in the cargo compartment in back on short trips... :shock:
Oh, so like the Honda wave!! :cheers:
The proper function of man is to live, not to exist. I shall not waste my days in trying to prolong them. I shall use my time.
crazy88
Deceased
Deceased

Post by crazy88 »

Don't be silly Migrant you can get at least 6 on a wave plus chickens and a 50kg sack of rice.

SJ
hhfarang
Hero
Hero

Post by hhfarang »

^ Lets not forget the family dog too!
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

A bit of an update of what's going on with the Toyota Fortuner and Vigo. Pete :cheers:

FIRSTDRIVE
IMV part III

Published: 15/07/2011 at 12:00 AM
Newspaper section: Life Bangkok Post

If you take product norm into consideration, you would've known this was due because the Fortuner and Hilux Vigo are now seven years old, their last mid-life update coming in 2008.

- Wasn't it supposed to be all-new?

So the update here is the second facelift for the entire range _ SUV, single, extra and double cabs _ officially launched this week in Thailand. The exterior changes include new bumpers, lights, front grille and bonnet design.

Inside, Toyota has tried to make the fascia look more luxurious, especially in the Fortuner and double-cab which are treated like passenger cars by most customers.

- Are there any technical changes?

Nope, the engine and transmission range is carried over including the 2.5- and 3.0-litre diesel-turbos, plus the 2.7-litre petrol variation for the Fortuner. However, Toyota claims than their fuel injection systems are now more efficient.

Although the Europeans have been getting the 171hp/360Nm and five-speed automatic treatment for some time already, the Thai-spec outputs remain best at 163hp/343Nm and four-speed auto.

Apparently, Toyota hasn't been bothered by Mitsubishi's technical update for the Triton/Pajero Sport earlier this year which included the so-called VG dosage: 178hp/350Nm and five-speed automatic.

- And why's that?

Maybe Toyota is keeping the cards up its sleeve for two reasons. Next year, Euro IV emission standard comes into full effect in Thailand, so another technical change would be needed.

The other reason could be the competition. The Isuzu D-Max/MU-7 is slated to get another update soon, so Toyota may keep it for a counter attack on its archrival. And for 2012, there will be three all-new pickups with brand new engines and transmissions in the Chevrolet Colorado, Ford Ranger and Mazda BT-50.

- Okay. And what about the prices for the Toyota facelift?

More features have been added into the Hilux Vigo (now carrying a third moniker in the name of Champ) and Fortuner like electric seats and Bluetooth in G trim, as such, so prices inevitably had to go up accordingly.

The range kicks out at 1.059 million baht for the basic 2.5-litre model with five-speed manual gearbox, going up to 1.498 million for the range-topping 3.0-litre with four-speed automatic and sat-nav system. All in all, there are five versions to choose from _ all about 30,000 baht higher than before.

The price range for the double-cab, on the other hand, starts from 627,000 baht for the 102hp 2.5-litre/five-speed manual/2WD and scaling up to an eye-popping 981,000 baht for the 163hp 3.0-litre/four-speed automatic/4WD. There are 12 variants in total.
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
crazy88
Deceased
Deceased

Post by crazy88 »

http://pinoyfortuner.14.forumer.com/a/t ... st282.html

Never seen one here that I have noticed.

Crazy 88
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

crazy88 wrote:http://pinoyfortuner.14.forumer.com/a/t ... st282.html

Never seen one here that I have noticed. Crazy 88
I've never seen one either. There was a time when Toyota offered a V-6 in the Camry, maybe they still do. Nissan has a small 2.5 or 2.6L V-6 in their Teana, and Honda offers one in the Accord. I think 3.0L, but it runs on 3-4 or 6 cylinders automatically depending upon the power needed. The 3.0L V-6 is taxed to the max. An Accord with a 2.4, 4 cylinder is about 1.6-8 million. the 3.0 V-6 brings it up to about 2.9, but they throw in a sunroof as well. :shock: Pete :cheers: