TV series worth watching/downloading

Discussion, recommendations and reviews for music, movies, books and games. Creative arts, crafts and photography welcome.
thecolonel
Legend
Legend

Re: TV series worth watching/downloading

Post by thecolonel »

Dannie Boy wrote:I’ve just finished watching episode two out of three of “Breathtaking” a reenactment of what life was like in a NHS hospital just leading up to lockdown in March 2020 and the following few months.

Even though this is only a reenactment, it’s not difficult to imagine how traumatic it must have been for those at the sharp end, especially when it’s interspersed with real footage of Boris Johnson, Hancock and others coming out with statements that in retrospect were complete bollox.

Unless you’re in complete denial, I’d recommend it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Looks and sounds good, I've queued it up

Sent from my M2007J20CG using Tapatalk

thecolonel
Legend
Legend

Post by thecolonel »

Just finished Season 4(The Night Country) of True Detective .

Jodie Foster stars.

Dark, depressing, very weird and bang average. Unrecognisable from Seasons 1&2!

dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Post by dtaai-maai »

thecolonel wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2024 1:45 am Just finished Season 4(The Night Country) of True Detective .

Jodie Foster stars.

Dark, depressing, very weird and bang average. Unrecognisable from Seasons 1&2!
First I've heard of it, I'll certainly give seasons 1&2 a try.
This is the way
thecolonel
Legend
Legend

Post by thecolonel »

dtaai-maai wrote:Criminal Record

A recently concluded 8-episode British crime thriller on Apple TV+ (downloaded from eztv), with the magnificent Peter Capaldi as a very convincing baddy - or is he? I'm only halfway through.

Good reviews, well deserved IMO.
In the heart of London, an anonymous phone call draws two brilliant detectives -- a young woman in the early stages of her career and a well-connected man determined to protect his legacy -- into a fight to correct an old miscarriage of justice.
I finished Criminal Record

Very good indeed. Peter Capaldi is excellent 9/10

buksida

Post by buksida »

Some series I am watching and have queued up to try out ...

Slow Horses - British spy thriller with Gary Oldman. Great stuff this, into season 2 already.
Halo - Loved the video game, loving the series. Hardcore sci-fi fans only.
The Walking Dead - The Ones Who Live - Yet another spin-off of the WD franchise.
Constellation - Psychological thriller with space travel (haven't started it yet)
Avatar The Last Airbender - Prolly one for the kids but will give it a go.
Masters of The Air - Recommended here, yet to start it.
Lawmen: Bass Reeves - Love a good western, hope this one is good enough.
Sexy Beast - The movie was legendary, will the series be?

All available on EZTV.
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
404cameljockey
Ace
Ace

Post by 404cameljockey »

buksida wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 9:45 am Some series I am watching and have queued up to try out ...

Slow Horses - British spy thriller with Gary Oldman. Great stuff this, into season 2 already.
Halo - Loved the video game, loving the series. Hardcore sci-fi fans only.
The Walking Dead - The Ones Who Live - Yet another spin-off of the WD franchise.
Constellation - Psychological thriller with space travel (haven't started it yet)
Avatar The Last Airbender - Prolly one for the kids but will give it a go.
Masters of The Air - Recommended here, yet to start it.
Lawmen: Bass Reeves - Love a good western, hope this one is good enough.
Sexy Beast - The movie was legendary, will the series be?

All available on EZTV.
So you can't say if some are worth watching? If they are duds can we sue you? :D

I've watched three of these and recommend them to fans of each genre. Slow Horses (spies but with humour), Constellation, Lawman: Bass Reeves. I have no doubt in my mind Masters of the Air will be spot on too. I hate the idea of a series of Sexy Beast, the film was just too good, but who knows?
buksida

Post by buksida »

Have only watched three also, Slow Horses, Halo, and just started the WD. The rest are my kinda genre so hopefully will be ok, will lawyer up though just in case. :wink:
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
404cameljockey
Ace
Ace

Post by 404cameljockey »

Following in the vein of mentioning series I haven't watched, for anyone who has been waiting for Netflix's sci-fi Three Body Problem it starts later this month. There was a Chinese TV series last year (just named Three Body I think), don't get confused. I read that was good also, and 30 episodes! Netflix is sadly only 8, I'm not sure if that will be long enough to do justice to the story.

I read that it follows the terrific novels closely, and certainly will have high production values. Created by one of the co-creators of Game of Thrones. For these two reasons alone I believe it's worth trying. :thumb:
buksida

Post by buksida »

Definitely waiting for this one, I read the Liu Cixin Remembrance of Earth's Past trilogy last year (very heavy on the astrophysics so right up my wormhole), will be interesting how much science they keep in the TV adaptation.
sateeb
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by sateeb »

/\ Released 21st this month. :cheers:

“Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.”

― George Carlin
“The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.” -George Orwell.
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

Now that does look good! Thanks for the heads up guys :thumb:
"Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things" - Yma o Hyd.
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Post by dtaai-maai »

buksida wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 10:49 am Definitely waiting for this one, I read the Liu Cixin Remembrance of Earth's Past trilogy last year (very heavy on the astrophysics so right up my wormhole), will be interesting how much science they keep in the TV adaptation.
I enjoy my sci-fi but I get scared off if there's too much sci and not enough fi. Even Asimov was over my head sometimes, when I read him centuries ago. I've got the 3 body Problem on my kindle and I think, contrary to my usual practice, I'll wait until I've seen the series before reading the book.
This is the way
hhinner
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by hhinner »

dtaai-maai wrote:
buksida wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 10:49 am Definitely waiting for this one, I read the Liu Cixin Remembrance of Earth's Past trilogy last year (very heavy on the astrophysics so right up my wormhole), will be interesting how much science they keep in the TV adaptation.
I enjoy my sci-fi but I get scared off if there's too much sci and not enough fi. Even Asimov was over my head sometimes, when I read him centuries ago. I've got the 3 body Problem on my kindle and I think, contrary to my usual practice, I'll wait until I've seen the series before reading the book.
Haven't seen these mentioned here.

Resident Alien - sci-fi comedy drama. Not much sci. Currently series 3.

Monarch: Legacy of Monsters - also not much sci, has Godzilla and pals.
hhinner
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by hhinner »

Also, Monsieur Spade. Apparently Sam Spade didn't just disappear, he retired to France. Clive Owen as Spade.
sateeb
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by sateeb »

/\ Really enjoyed Monsieur Spade. Hoping for a 2nd season.
“Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.”

― George Carlin
“The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.” -George Orwell.