TV series worth watching/downloading

Discussion, recommendations and reviews for music, movies, books and games. Creative arts, crafts and photography welcome.
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Re: TV series worth watching/downloading

Post by dtaai-maai »

Oooo that sounds like fun! Ta muchly.
This is the way
buksida

Post by buksida »

404cameljockey wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 10:14 am I have no doubt in my mind Masters of the Air will be spot on too.
Started it yesterday, it is indeed binge-tastic.
dtaai-maai wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 11:04 pm I enjoy my sci-fi but I get scared off if there's too much sci and not enough fi. Even Asimov was over my head sometimes, when I read him centuries ago. I've got the 3 body Problem on my kindle and I think, contrary to my usual practice, I'll wait until I've seen the series before reading the book.
The books (translated from Chinese) are a little heavy, but an epic read. They usually tone TV adaptations down for fifth-grade science students to keep attention spans working. The Expanse was a way better read than the show.
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
hhinner
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by hhinner »

The final trailer for 3 body is out on yt now.

Another new sf series from prime is also trailed on yt - Fallout. After the war stuff, starts in April. Doesn't look too depressing.

thecolonel
Legend
Legend

Post by thecolonel »

dtaai-maai wrote:
pharvey wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 7:14 pm [EDIT] "Masters of the Air" has been great so far (free episode available before even taking out a free trial), but won't finish before my Trial ends.... It's another collaboration of Tom Hanks and Spielberg ("Band of Brothers" & "The Pacific"), so if you enjoyed those, it's well worth the watch. :thumb:
Tell us what those binge-worthy shows are so we can download them! :D Yes, Masters of the Air is good; I've watched the first couple of episodes but I'm saving the rest until I can binge the lot. Available on eztv and undoubtedly elsewhere.
I binged Masters of the Air and was not disappointed!

Very good indeed

Sent from my M2007J20CG using Tapatalk

404cameljockey
Ace
Ace

Post by 404cameljockey »

hhinner wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 1:21 pm The final trailer for 3 body is out on yt now.

Another new sf series from prime is also trailed on yt - Fallout. After the war stuff, starts in April. Doesn't look too depressing.
I'm two thirds of the way through the 30 episode Chinese version Three Body. I can't see how an 8 part adaptation of the books could do justice to them, so I'm assuming for now that the Netflix series Three Body Problem won't cover the whole span.

I can't wait for Fallout. I'm a huge fan of the games, set in a post-apocalyptic future, and the film trailer looks superb, I'm living it!

Re-reading Dune and watched the first two films again, I'm in a sci-fi world for now. :D
hhinner
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by hhinner »

I don't think Netflix 3bp is a faithful adaptation. I've seen a few discussions on yt where they say that characterisations are merged (ie one character may represent 2 or 3 from the books) and some characters appear earlier than you would expect from the book sequence, and so on.
buksida

Post by buksida »

The trilogy is long, has some very complex scientific concepts, and is translated from Chinese so very much doubt a Netflix production will be that true to it.
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
404cameljockey
Ace
Ace

Post by 404cameljockey »

If anyone is as crazy as me and wants to watch the subtitled 30 part Chinese adaptation of Three Body download the VIKI WEBRip, not the AMZN one, as the AMZN subtitles miss whole scenes, like when an actor's thoughts are being spoken, and also words shown onscreen like computer screens, phone messages, etc.
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Post by dtaai-maai »

pharvey wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 7:14 pm [EDIT] "Masters of the Air" has been great so far (free episode available before even taking out a free trial), but won't finish before my Trial ends.... It's another collaboration of Tom Hanks and Spielberg ("Band of Brothers" & "The Pacific"), so if you enjoyed those, it's well worth the watch. :thumb:

The Pacific

Another little gem that slipped through my rather tatty net. Enjoyed it very much.
:cheers: :cheers:
This is the way
404cameljockey
Ace
Ace

Post by 404cameljockey »

The Gentlemen is great fun series on Netflix if you're a fan of Guy Richie's stye of British gangster film. Obviously it's not rated for children but it's not horror-level violence.
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Post by dtaai-maai »

404cameljockey wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 2:47 pm The Gentlemen is great fun series on Netflix if you're a fan of Guy Richie's stye of British gangster film. Obviously it's not rated for children but it's not horror-level violence.
Yep, had a quick look at this the other day and it's definitely on my list. And what a cast!! :shock: :bow:
This is the way
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Post by dtaai-maai »

404cameljockey wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 10:14 am
buksida wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 9:45 am Some series I am watching and have queued up to try out ...

Slow Horses - British spy thriller with Gary Oldman. Great stuff this, into season 2 already.
Halo - Loved the video game, loving the series. Hardcore sci-fi fans only.
The Walking Dead - The Ones Who Live - Yet another spin-off of the WD franchise.
Constellation - Psychological thriller with space travel (haven't started it yet)
Avatar The Last Airbender - Prolly one for the kids but will give it a go.
Masters of The Air - Recommended here, yet to start it.
Lawmen: Bass Reeves - Love a good western, hope this one is good enough.
Sexy Beast - The movie was legendary, will the series be?

All available on EZTV.
So you can't say if some are worth watching? If they are duds can we sue you? :D

I've watched three of these and recommend them to fans of each genre. Slow Horses (spies but with humour), Constellation, Lawman: Bass Reeves. I have no doubt in my mind Masters of the Air will be spot on too. I hate the idea of a series of Sexy Beast, the film was just too good, but who knows?
I'm into ep 2 of Constellation and I have to confess it's not gripping me. Not yet, anyway, and I'm not sure how much longer I'm prepared to give it.
This is the way
joelle
Legend
Legend

Post by joelle »

404cameljockey wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 2:47 pm The Gentlemen is great fun series on Netflix if you're a fan of Guy Richie's stye of British gangster film. Obviously it's not rated for children but it's not horror-level violence.
We thoroughly enjoyed it
migrant
Addict
Addict

Post by migrant »

joelle wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 9:41 am
We thoroughly enjoyed it
Same same!
The proper function of man is to live, not to exist. I shall not waste my days in trying to prolong them. I shall use my time.
404cameljockey
Ace
Ace

Post by 404cameljockey »

dtaai-maai wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2024 2:49 am
thecolonel wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2024 1:45 am Just finished Season 4(The Night Country) of True Detective .

Jodie Foster stars.

Dark, depressing, very weird and bang average. Unrecognisable from Seasons 1&2!
First I've heard of it, I'll certainly give seasons 1&2 a try.
I just finished Season 4 of True Detective. It is dark and weird (they've always been weird, actually), and not as good as the first two series, but certainly above average.