History Challenge & Journal

Discussion, recommendations and reviews for music, movies, books and games. Creative arts, crafts and photography welcome.
pharvey

Re: History Challenge & Journal

Post by pharvey »

Dannie Boy wrote: Sat Jul 15, 2023 9:50 pm I thought it looked more like Mrs Harvey counting her husbands stash of £10 notes :duck:
A tad tall for both the LHG and my "stash of £10 notes" (or lack of).... I'm far sadder for the latter!! :(
hhinner wrote: Sat Jul 15, 2023 8:40 pm At a guess, stacks of punched cards. A database of days gone by.
Christ, that didn't last long!! :roll: :wink:

It's a collection of some 62,500 punch cards amounting to a whopping 4.5 Megabytes of information (circa 1955).

Or £625,000 DB :D

:cheers: :cheers:
"Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things" - Yma o Hyd.
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

pharvey wrote:
Dannie Boy wrote: Sat Jul 15, 2023 9:50 pm I thought it looked more like Mrs Harvey counting her husbands stash of £10 notes :duck:
A tad tall for both the LHG and my "stash of £10 notes" (or lack of).... I'm far sadder for the latter!! :(
hhinner wrote: Sat Jul 15, 2023 8:40 pm At a guess, stacks of punched cards. A database of days gone by.
Christ, that didn't last long!! :roll: :wink:

It's a collection of some 62,500 punch cards amounting to a whopping 4.5 Megabytes of information (circa 1955).

Or £625,000 DB :D

I’m sure your stash is bigger than that, you’re just shy!!

As for the punch cards, I remember using them in one of my first jobs at the beginning of the 70’s - fairly certain they were made by IBM.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

Dannie Boy wrote: Sat Jul 15, 2023 10:08 pm I’m sure your stash is bigger than that, you’re just shy!!
Oh for the "bigger" things in life.... !! :roll:
Dannie Boy wrote: Sat Jul 15, 2023 10:08 pm As for the punch cards, I remember using them in one of my first jobs at the beginning of the 70’s - fairly certain they were made by IBM.
Certainly can't remember Punch Cards, but how about "The Telex Machine", before the FAX took over and then the latter made obsolete by Email...?

Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

pharvey wrote:
Dannie Boy wrote: Sat Jul 15, 2023 10:08 pm I’m sure your stash is bigger than that, you’re just shy!!
Oh for the "bigger" things in life.... !! :roll:
Dannie Boy wrote: Sat Jul 15, 2023 10:08 pm As for the punch cards, I remember using them in one of my first jobs at the beginning of the 70’s - fairly certain they were made by IBM.
Certainly can't remember Punch Cards, but how about "The Telex Machine", before the FAX took over and then the latter made obsolete by Email...?

Unfortunately I can remember those too - I worked for the Central Electricity Generating Board at their London HQ in the early 70’s and they had all “the latest technology”!!Image

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

And you thought your job wasn't exactly "perfect"... Must admit, I wouldn't want to be the "Groom of the Stool"

https://www.historic-uk.com/HistoryUK/H ... b-96035078

pharvey

Post by pharvey »

Not a challenge, but one for the "History Buffs..." Has been on the TV news today with it being a major discovery - though there is so much of Pompeii still to be uncovered/discovered for close to 2,000 years. Personally, I find it fascinating.

Pompeii: Breathtaking New Paintings Found at Ancient City

"Stunning artworks have been uncovered in a new excavation at Pompeii, the ancient Roman city buried in an eruption from Mount Vesuvius in AD79.
Archaeologists say the frescos are among the finest to be found in the ruins of the ancient site.
Mythical Greek figures such as Helen of Troy are depicted on the high black walls of a large banqueting hall.
The room's near-complete mosaic floor incorporates more than a million individual white tiles.
A third of the lost city has still to be cleared of volcanic debris. The current dig, the biggest in a generation, is underlining Pompeii's position as the world's premier window on the people and culture of the Roman empire.
Park director Dr Gabriel Zuchtriegel presented the "black room" exclusively to the BBC on Thursday.
It was likely the walls' stark colour was chosen to hide the smoke deposits from lamps used during entertaining after sunset.

"In the shimmering light, the paintings would have almost come to life," he said.

The black room is the latest treasure to emerge from the excavation, which started 12 months ago - an investigation that will feature in a documentary series from the BBC and Lion TV to be broadcast later in April.
A wide residential and commercial block, known as "Region 9", is being cleared of several metres of overlying pumice and ash thrown out by Vesuvius almost 2,000 years ago.
Staff are having to move quickly to protect new finds, removing what they can to a storeroom.
For the frescos that must stay in position, a plaster glue is injected to their rear to prevent them coming away from the walls. Masonry is being shored up with scaffolding and temporary roofing is going over the top."

Full story, pictures and video @ https://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-68777741

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m001yczv - This is the link to details of the documentary mentioned in the above report - "Pompeii: The New Dig". However, news reports have mentioned another documentary to be broadcast in May which I can't seem to find details on - perhaps just an error by the newsreader (certainly can't be me!!!) :D