History Challenge & Journal

Discussion, recommendations and reviews for music, movies, books and games. Creative arts, crafts and photography welcome.
Jimbob
Legend
Legend

Re: History Challenge & Journal

Post by Jimbob »

117th anniversary of funeral on Feb 2.
I was curious who represented Thailand on this royal occasion. Well, there was someone important at hand.

Siam's representative was the soon to be Rama VI (Vajiravudh), undergoing his education in Britain, at the Royal Military College, Sandhurst in 1898 and was commissioned briefly in the Durham Light Infantry upon graduation. He studied law and history at Christ Church, Oxford in 1899, where he was a member of the exclusive Bullingdon Club. However, he suffered from appendicitis that barred him from graduating in 1901. He visited other European countries while he lived in England, including Berlin in May 1902 and Copenhagen in September 1902.[2][3] On behalf of his father, King Chulalongkorn, he attended the coronation of King Edward VII on 9 August 1902.[4]
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

You want a hard one after so long, here's a hard one. Who is the below? Some clues: 1) I believe he is French. 2) He was the last of many. 3) He is 100 years old in the photo. 4) The photo is 129 years old. :shock:

phpimMdcCAM.jpg
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

I've looked it up, so I won't spoil it (would never have guessed anyway). What an incredible photo :D

I will be amazed if anybody gets it without cheating, and if they do, they should get out more :laugh:
Championship Stoke City 3 - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 48; Position 20
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

....if someone does the math based upon clues #3 and 4 above it should at least place them in the correct period of history.
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
Jimbob
Legend
Legend

Post by Jimbob »

Pinned to the old boy's chest looks to be military medals but not a Croix de guerre.
I suspect it something to do with the Napoleonic wars, may be Waterloo. Nice silk dressing gown, so not a poor man. hmm
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

If the photo is 129 years old it was taken in 1890 and if the subject was 100, he was born in 1790, so a bit young to have been involved in the Napoleonic wars, other than at the end?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

Close enough. See below and go to the link for additional info:

The Battle of Trafalgar took place in 1805. This photo is of Emmanuel Louis Cartigny, the last survivor of the battle, photographed in 1891 aged 100. He fought on the side of the French Empire under the command of Napoleon Bonaparte. https://bit.ly/2Mz7Tfm

From Royal Collection Trust on Twitter: https://twitter.com/RCT
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

Dannie Boy wrote:If the photo is 129 years old it was taken in 1890 and if the subject was 100, he was born in 1790, so a bit young to have been involved in the Napoleonic wars, other than at the end?
I was obviously discounting the fact that they went to war at a much younger age back then - in his prime at 14!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

Okay, here's another one. What is it (besides a door :laugh: ), where is it, and of what significance. Those in and from England probably already know this?

Hquiz.jpeg
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

No takers on this one today. Below is a clue. :laugh: I'll post up the full story later on.....

Hquiz2.jpg
Hquiz2.jpg (75.61 KiB) Viewed 69 times
migrant
Addict
Addict

Post by migrant »

Is it the door to the Brexit, shall we stay in or get out, conference room?
The proper function of man is to live, not to exist. I shall not waste my days in trying to prolong them. I shall use my time.
lomuamart

Post by lomuamart »

Traitor's gate?
lindosfan1
Deceased
Deceased

Post by lindosfan1 »

The surrounds could be to a church door, a guess Westminster abbey.
Woke up this morning breathing that's a good start to the day.
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

I have never heard of England's oldest door - how the hell do they know these things?

I bet it's a bit like Trigger's broom!
Talk is cheap
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

More likely a medieval pub door, than a church or castle!
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!