Boat slipways

Driving and riding in Hua Hin and Thailand, all topics on cars, pickups, bikes, boats, licenses, roads, and motoring in general.
MXcross
Amateur
Amateur

Boat slipways

Post by MXcross »

Hi all,
can anyone tell me where I can find a decent slipway ?
I've looked at the one in Pak nam pran Marina (if you can call it that) and it's terrible, too much oil and slime on the ramp and you risk losing your car when launching the boat.
I have tried from the beach here in Kao tao but the sand is just too wet and everything starts to sink.
It's only a little 16 foot fishing boat so it wouln't need to be a massive slip, but clean and free of oil would be a plus
Any help would be great.
Thanks in advance.
Homer
Rock Star
Rock Star

Re: Boat slipways

Post by Homer »

You need a non-slip slipway? ;=D

I had to use a slime covered launch ramp (what you brits call a slipway) once because the water level was so low. We worked out a successful plan: 1) Stopped the car on the part of the ramp that had traction. 2) Attached the anchor line to the bow, took a turn around the hitch and gave it to two strong men to hold. 3) Lowered nose wheel on trailer, unhooked trailer from car. 4) Played out the anchor line to let trailer down the ramp. You'll find out real fast if you need more or fewer turns around the hitch. It's safer to start with too many than too few. Better bring some rags and solvent to clean the hitch before trying this. We had some in the trunk, also had grease to put some back on before reattaching the trailer.

If you don't have a ball hitch, your vehicle probably has an oval tow hook or two below the bumper line. Manufacturers use these to attach cars to boats, trucks or trains when shipping them from the factory.
MXcross
Amateur
Amateur

Post by MXcross »

Thanks mate, I'm already doin that but would like to find one that I can use when on my own.
Some of the workers at the boat yard don't really like to help when the suns up, if ya get my drift.
Cheers for the reply though.
barrys
Legend
Legend

Post by barrys »

MXcross wrote:Hi all,
can anyone tell me where I can find a decent slipway ?
I've looked at the one in Pak nam pran Marina (if you can call it that) and it's terrible, too much oil and slime on the ramp and you risk losing your car when launching the boat.
I have tried from the beach here in Kao tao but the sand is just too wet and everything starts to sink.
It's only a little 16 foot fishing boat so it wouln't need to be a massive slip, but clean and free of oil would be a plus
Any help would be great.
Thanks in advance.
We have our own slipway here - we're just over 1 km past the Paknampran Marina on the right.
It's not huge, but is is clean and free of oil.
More than big enough for a 16 footer.

You're welcome to come and take a look if you want.
Just give me a call first to make sure I'm here.
MXcross
Amateur
Amateur

Post by MXcross »

Thank you I'll pop over tomorrow after the school run, but I'll call you to confirm.
Thanks very much