Scuba diving in the Hua Hin area

So what is going on around here and where does it happen? This section is for discussion on local events, festivals, and holidays as well as activities and things to do.
tonyridesahd
Rookie
Rookie

Scuba diving in the Hua Hin area

Post by tonyridesahd »

We should be in the Hua Hin area from the 16th of March until about the 25th timeframe. I have taken my Padi online certification and also completed my pool time, but will need to take the monitored dives to get full certification. My girlfriend has been certified in the past, but it's been awhile, so she also re-took the Padi open water certification.

What we need to know is if there is a place or contacts in the Hua Hin area where we can complete our Padi certifications and possibly get in some recreational dives while we are in country?

Any help or information on these is greatly appreciated!

"You only live once, what are you waiting for?"
Tony Serio
Norseman
Rock Star
Rock Star

Re: Scuba diving in the Hua Hin area

Post by Norseman »

buksida

Post by buksida »

My, that is an old page, unfortunately HHAD is no longer affiliated with any dive schools so contacting them won't help.

The bottom line is that you cant dive in Hua Hin (unless you like looking at mud in 500cm visibility)! The closest place with clear water and coral reefs is Koh Talu in Bangsaphan (though I have been told that you can snorkel at an island in Prachuab).

More info on Talu island here: http://bangsaphanguide.com/koh-talu-marine-life.htm

And a thread on diving there here: http://bangsaphanguide.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=79

The best place to get certified is Koh Tao, the island is teeming with dive shops all offering Open Water and refresher courses.
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
H2ODunc
Professional
Professional

Post by H2ODunc »

Hi there is no diving around the HH area. You need to go a bit further South to get decent diving. There used to be some at koh Talu but I think they have closed so the nearest to you would be Koh Tao. Chumphon has some excellent diving but I believe they have stopped people diving there now. If you have done your on line academics and pool work back home then you just need to complete 4 open water dives to get your certification. Your GF also just needs to do what we call a scuba review rather than do the complete open water course again.
Any other questions just ask. Enjoy
I never forget a face but in your case I'll make an exception!
dozer
Ace
Ace

Post by dozer »

H2ODunc wrote:Hi there is no diving around the HH area. You need to go a bit further South to get decent diving. There used to be some at koh Talu but I think they have closed so the nearest to you would be Koh Tao. Chumphon has some excellent diving but I believe they have stopped people diving there now. If you have done your on line academics and pool work back home then you just need to complete 4 open water dives to get your certification. Your GF also just needs to do what we call a scuba review rather than do the complete open water course again.
Any other questions just ask. Enjoy
H2ODunc

Are the still diving of Thung Wua Laen?
Atheists have no need of a god. Our lives are not based on fear or guilt. We are moral because we know it's right.

Never attribute to malice that which can be explained by stupidity. R J Hanlon
buksida

Post by buksida »

H2ODunc wrote:There used to be some at koh Talu but I think they have closed
You can still dive at Koh Talu, in fact there are two better islands called Koh Sing and Koh Sang with better coral (photos in that thread above).

Last time I was at Thung Wua Laen the only place offering diving was the Cabana Resort at the end of the beach.
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
H2ODunc
Professional
Professional

Post by H2ODunc »

Dozer Hi,no went to Samui to work and been here ever since. I do though miss Chumphon. I don't know whether the French guy is back on the beach now ? Also as far as I know the dive sites in the Chumphon marine park have been closed for a while along with a few on the Andaman side. How this will effect Cabana I don't know. It would be carnage if they closed the dive sites around Tao.
Koh Talu was supposed to be nice dive and is within easy reach of HH so you should be fine. Enjoy
I never forget a face but in your case I'll make an exception!
crazy88
Deceased
Deceased

Post by crazy88 »

Been to Koh Talu a few times for snorkelling and freediving. Nice coral and plenty of marine life. There were divers there a couple of times but I did not clock the name of the company.

Crazy 88
hrunkird
Novice
Novice

Post by hrunkird »

SunandFun
Guru
Guru

Post by SunandFun »

In March I think the visibility is still a concern. May want to call or email ahead so you will not be disappointed.
I wouldn't have to manage my anger if people could learn to mange their stupidity!
hippocrates
Rookie
Rookie

Post by hippocrates »

i heard diving certificate needed for serious dive trip. But what if i want just to swim in safe zone? Should i get certificate for it?
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

hippocrates wrote:i heard diving certificate needed for serious dive trip. But what if i want just to swim in safe zone? Should i get certificate for it?
Are you talking about swimming or scuba diving? If it's the latter, neither you or anybody providing the equipment should let you get anywhere near the equipment unless your qualified (and with a buddy) other than to provide you with professional training.
Ratsima
Ace
Ace

Post by Ratsima »

I realize that this is an old thread, but….

I believe the Tapana is going to be doing off-season weekend liveaboards out of Chumphon this year. If it's a long weekend the trips have three days of diving with eleven dives. At least that's what we've been offered by an agent. The boat departs around midnight, so plenty of time to get there from the Hua Hin area.

I'll not post a link for fear of offending an advertiser, but anyone with some search skills should be able to find the Tapana Liveaboard website.

We dove the South Andaman with them last October and were quite pleased. We'll probably do that again soon as well as one of the Chumphon trips.
hrunkird
Novice
Novice

Post by hrunkird »

Spitfire
Addict
Addict

Post by Spitfire »

HH water quality aweful and as said muddy......great though if you like diving with turds floating around.
Resolve dissolves in alcohol